The Sword and Laser discussion

E reader backup options

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Gass | 36 comments I am considering the purchase of an e reader, but I wonder what the options are for backing them up? Does the Kindle support backup to an external USB drive, or backup across WiFi? Has anyone here had an E reader crash or get destroyed and had to restore their library to a new unit?

message 2: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments I have a Nook ereader from Barnes & Noble, not a Kindle, but the nook can take a mini-sd card, or you can click/drag/copy via a USB cable to your disk drive.

For every book you purchased from Barnes & Noble (I'm sure this works the same with Amazon/Kindle) a record is kept of the books you have purchased. This allows you to re-download them at any time if for what ever reason you lost them. (this also lets you read the same book on your laptop or iPhone, or iPad as well as using your e-reader)

For books not purchased straight from B&N you will need to keep a backup copy somewhere if you ever want to restore your nook.

message 3: by Al (new)

Al | 159 comments You can back up a Kindle via USB.

You can also re-download but apparently some publishers place a limit on the number of downloads, e.g. 3-5.

message 4: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments With Kindle, you can always download your books to your computer and re-install them to the Kindle via USB. Also on the Kindle, after you're done reading a book, you can "Archive" it so it takes up less space and goes off your home screen.

I don't know how that would go with a new unit, though, unless you kept the user name the same (all tied to one account).

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy Pilkington | 104 comments I have a Kindle2 and my Kindle3 will arrive any day now. I can testify that your library is completely transferable, in fact, I have been able to send books to the new Kindle since I ordered it in August. So I sent my whole library ahead of time to save the trouble when I get it. You just go to Amazon's online version of your archive and hit send. Easy as pi.

Then, when the new one arrives and I sell the old one, I just delete everything off the old one and deauthorize it from my account.

I've found it incredibly convenient, though I assume that all my collections won't transfer, and so I'll have to organize again, which makes it a little less so.

message 6: by Charles (new)

Charles (charlesh) | 13 comments For years, I've used Second Copy (secondcopy.com) to backup all USB storage devices to PC. Works great with my Kindle. After a one time (per device) profile setup, it will automatically backup your device every time it is plugged in.

Amazon's restore has one weakness...it will only restore Amazon purchases. Second Copy backs up everything on the Kindle: Project Gutenberg, Creative Commons works, Bean free library, PDFs converted to HTML, Amazon books, reference works I've converted to Kindle format, alternate screen saver images, etc.

My Kindle has not crashed, but I did a test restore of the SC backup. No problems.

message 7: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Gass | 36 comments Charles, thank you so much for that information. I was mainly worried about non Amazon purchases that I will likely put on the Kindle. It is very reassuring to hear about Second Copy. Jeff