Fashion Book Lovers! discussion

Fashion Icons and Movements

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (last edited Sep 06, 2010 11:38PM) (new)

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 524 comments Mod
This thread is to share information on fashion icons and movements, past to present.

message 2: by Jamie (last edited Sep 06, 2010 11:47PM) (new)

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 524 comments Mod
The following are links to websites and books related to the book nominations Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution and Beau Brummell: The Ultimate Man of Style. (Post made on Brummell book: I do not recall hearing about Beau Brummell but I feel like I should have. While reading the description I noticed the mention of Georgiana, the Duchess of Devonshire who also knew Marie Antoinette so the two books tie together! In the movie about her I now recall a character fitting his description. Also Brummell inspired Oscar Wilde who wrote the Picture of Dorian Grey and was very involved in the aesthetic movement. Wilde's life seems to have quite a few resemblances with Brummell.

Each person was admired in their time because of their inspiring fashion sense and personalities. The history of fashion is an amazing thing to learn and reflect on. I also love to read about the peoples lives (highs and lows) who whore the works of art and books they have written. I love looking at current fashions and being able to attribute them to fashion from a hundred years ago or more!

Beau Brummell:
Beau Brummell Wikipedia

Georgiana, the Duchess of Devonshire:
Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire Wikipedia
Georgiana blog (blog)
Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire (biography)
The Sylph (written by Georgiana, the Duchess of Devonshire)
Emma; Or, The Unfortunate Attachment: A Sentimental Novel(written by Georgiana, the Duchess of Devonshire)

Marie Antoinette:
Marie Antoinette Wikipedia
Marie Antoinette: The Journey (biography)

Oscar Wilde:
Oscar Wilde Wikipedia
Oscar Wilde Historic
The Picture of Dorian Gray (written by Oscar Wilde)
The Importance of Being Earnest (written by Oscar Wilde)

Aesthetic Movement:
Aesthetic Movement Wikipedia

message 4: by Pippa (new)

Pippa Strong (pippasp) | 7 comments The birth of Punk and rebellion , I think a precursor to all those twilight babes ........

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Moore | 71 comments My new fashion icon is New Zealand writer Katherine Mansfield. She was a phenomenal writer and a tragic figure who was quite striking. I love the way she's described in Jeffrey Meyers' book "Katharine Mansfield A Darker View". I really love the portrait Anne Estelle Rice did of her in 1918.