Dune Fanatics discussion

Sisterhood of Dune

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Just found this at the Dune website:
2010-07-17
A new series was announced this week by authors Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Heading back toward the formation of the Dune universe, Brian and Kevin will start working on their latest creation, THE SISTERHOOD OF DUNE, which will focus on the formation of the Bene Gesserit school.

More titles coming in this series will be announced in the near future....

message 2: by Jackie (last edited Sep 06, 2010 09:02PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) The final two novels in the Heroes of Dune series were to be called The Throne of Dune (formerly Irulan of Dune) and Leto of Dune (perhaps The Golden Path of Dune). However, in a July 15, 2010 blog post, Anderson announced that these novels had been postponed due to plans by Herbert and Anderson to publish a trilogy about "the formation of the Bene Gesserit, the Mentats, the Suk Doctors, the Spacing Guild and the Navigators, as well as the solidifying of the Corrino imperium."

message 3: by SandChigger (new)

SandChigger (DuneSandChigger) | 9 comments Please note that Anderson Twitted just recently that they had decided to remove the definite article from the title. The book will therefore be

SISTERHOOD OF DUNE

(One might suppose that this change was to counterbalance his inexplicable use of the definite article in his own Twitter user name: @TheKJA.)

Either way, the title makes ZERO sense, seeing how the Bene Gesserit were never associated with Arrakis. (And as Frank Herbert himself revealed in the real Dune books, the Bene Gesserit were already well established long before the Battle of Corrin. And never had anything to do with any "Sorceresses of Rossak".)

More milking of the franchise and reliance on the DUNE brandname. Period.

message 4: by Jackie (last edited May 06, 2011 09:16AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Thanks for the info.
For sure some milking is going on here, exactly as you stated, the BG were never 'of Dune'. They visited, they manipulated but could never be considered 'of Dune'.
It wouldn't bother me to title it something else, but by using 'of Dune' in the title is clearly a way to get people to buy the book by associating it with Dune. I'd buy it either way, I don't need 'of Dune' to manipulate me into buying it.

message 5: by Jackie (last edited May 06, 2011 09:15AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) PS: regarding TheKJA:
Wow, how pompous. It's so absurd that it's laughable.

message 6: by SandChigger (new)

SandChigger (DuneSandChigger) | 9 comments (Yeah. He later blamed it on his wife Rebecca, Twitted that it had been her idea. He's a prince. LOL)

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Yeah, she forced him to do it. lol

message 8: by Doug21221 (new)

Doug21221 | 2 comments Regarding the BG never being associated with the "Sorceresses of Rossak", in the original Dune novel the elder Herbert does say that the "Rossak" drug was the first to produce a reverend mother. I think Brian Herbert built an entire story arc around that one line and it didn't quite fit in the rest of the timeline unless you consider the "Sorceresses of Rossak", actual BG, but it's a stretch.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mrsmelissa) | 10 comments Ooh... Exciting! Love the Bene Gesserit.

They clearly pre-date, Dune, as the Imperium knows it. The Orange Catholic Bible prepared the Fremen for Paul & Jessica's arrival, did it not?
I understand that the 'of Dune' is inappropriate but would hate for the book to be called The Sisterhood {of the travelling pants or what?} LOL

message 10: by Jackie (last edited Sep 09, 2011 11:28AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) 'Of Dune' doesn't bother me one way or another. It could be just a way to identify the series it belongs to as well as a selling point. Same as the 'Of Avalon' novels by Marian Zimmer Bradley, most of the series is pre-Avalon or post-Avalon, it's just a way to identify the series.

I agree, The Sisterhood wouldn't make for a good title on it's own.
It has a tenative release date for 2012.

message 11: by SandChigger (new)

SandChigger (DuneSandChigger) | 9 comments Doug21221 wrote: "Regarding the BG never being associated with the "Sorceresses of Rossak", in the original Dune novel the elder Herbert does say that the "Rossak" drug was the first to produce a reverend mother. I..."

Hi, Doug. Kind of a late reply, but if you go back and read that carefully, it was the Fremen "Wild Reverend Mothers" who discovered the Rossak drug, not the B.G.

message 12: by Ampoliros (new)

Ampoliros | 10 comments I'm hoping to win the ARC for Sisterhood to get an early start on my notes review.

/rolleyes at what looks like the Mentat as a Human Computer being in fact literal and not metaphorical.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mrsmelissa) | 10 comments Sisterhood of Dune was released on the 3rd of January...

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I've got mine already. I think I'll re-read Butlerian Jihad, Machine Crusade and Battle of Corrin first. It's been so long that I forgot most of what happened.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mrsmelissa) | 10 comments @ Jackie

I look forward to reading your thoughts on the book :)

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Not sure when I'll get to it. I'm hoping the early part of the year.

message 17: by Enrico (new)

Enrico Accenti | 2 comments I will buy the paperback edition, as with almost every scifi I get.anyone knows the release date of the paperback?

message 18: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Zacher (zacher2005) | 6 comments Bah at the book. The chapters were like 3 pages each. But I keep reading them because I am a Dune junkie.

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I just started it. I like learning about the origins of the schools, it's interesting. I don't care what size the chapters are, as long as they tell a good story. I'll know soon enough if it's a good story.

message 20: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Zacher (zacher2005) | 6 comments When I was explaining the Dune series to people I worked with I explained it like this, Frank Herbert's Dune novels are like Shakespear, while BH and KA's books are like Sat moning cartoons. Either way I keept reading them because I am a Dune junkie.

message 21: by Jackie (last edited Apr 28, 2012 08:18AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I'm a Dune junkie too. They write 'em, I'll buy 'em.
I'm not looking for great literary novels, mostly I find them boring; all I care about is if I'm entertained. I love the original Dune novels by Frank though I'm content with the newer additions. They're different but different doesn't necessarily make them bad. I'm just going along for the ride wherever it takes me.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mrsmelissa) | 10 comments McDune it is! But only in moderation... :)

message 23: by bella (new)

bella (thespiceflows) | 1 comments Christopher wrote: "When I was explaining the Dune series to people I worked with I explained it like this, Frank Herbert's Dune novels are like Shakespear, while BH and KA's books are like Sat moning cartoons. Either..."

Ditto! I read Sisterhood of Dune and I quite enjoyed it. It's not original 6 novel, but still enjoyable.

message 24: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Zacher (zacher2005) | 6 comments I wonder if in the future the notes they found, or a book written about the discovery will ever be written.

message 25: by Emaline (new)

Emaline (emalinesp) | 1 comments I just purchased Sisterhood of Dune. I'm a Dune junkie and feel sure the book will be entertaining.
Jackie's comment about not looking for great literary novels just good entertainment is true for me also. I have enjoyed all of the Dune books and will keep an eye out for any more in the future.

message 26: by Jackie (last edited May 06, 2012 12:36PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Finished Sisterhood and I enjoyed it, gave it 4 stars. I like origin stories in general; witnessing the beginnings of the great schools that are such an integral part of the Dune landscape in the future has been fantastic for me and I look forward to more.

message 27: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Zacher (zacher2005) | 6 comments I think with me with the House series BH and KJ wrote, it seemed somewhat they weretrying,to where now it seems like they are not. That'smaybe why the publisher called it quits on the hereos of dune series.