Doctor Who: The Library of Carsus discussion

The Panopticon (People of Who) > Sylvester McCoy on short list for the "Hobbit" movie?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 64 comments According to Some London sources, Sylvester McCoy, the Seventh Doctor is on the short list of two or three contenders for the Hobbit movie.

Ian McKellen will reprise his role as Gandalf the Grey, but McCoy is under consideration to play Radagast The Brown, a fellow wizard. No firm committment yet.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 179 comments Sylvester McCoy would be a good choice for almost any Tolkien character. Egads it's been soooooooooooo long since I've read the Hobbit (32 or 33 years?) I don't recall the character of Radagast The Brown. I did a quick google check and briefly read the wiki page on the character. Yep McCoy would be a good choice, if the rumor is true.

message 3: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 64 comments Well, I googled "Sylkvester McCoy and the HObbit" and found it on 3 or 4 British movie/Tv websties. He has not got it for sure yet, but according to one quote, he's in the top three being considered.

Yes, I would enjoy seeing him and I surely hope he gets the part.

message 4: by Leela4 (last edited Sep 13, 2010 10:55AM) (new)

Leela4 | 98 comments The only appearance of Radagast that I know of is a scene in The Fellowship of the Ring, "The Council of Elrond" chapter, Gandalf's story.

> Sylvester McCoy would be a good choice for almost any Tolkien character.

Bilbo Baggins in Peter Jackson's movie version of Fellowship appears to have been scripted for Sylvester McCoy. (Which is to say the writer was probably looping seventh Doctor episodes for style inspiration.) Watch all of his scenes (the extended version is best) and try to imagine McCoy in them. It's easy.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 17, 2010 04:03PM) (new)

Well, just to update this thread, McCoy recently revealed at a convention in New Zealand that he definitely has the part, so congrats to him on landing it. It's a big deal to be involved in a film like this - the combination of Peter Jackson + Tolkien story will definitely bring in high box office numbers, regardless of whether the film is a good, bad, or average.

I've been thinking recently about how certain actors who've portrayed the Doctor over the years have struggled to find quality film or television work post-DW (McCoy included, but even Tom had a rough go of it and pretty much disappeared from the limelight for several years, and then there's Tennant's recent bid to crack Hollywood which hasn't really worked out for him yet) while others have somehow avoided the typecast and done pretty well for themselves. I'd say Davison, McGann, and Eccleston have had the best time of it with a number of diverse roles in both TV and film. I'd also say Troughton, being the great character actor he was, managed to land a few good acting jobs in the years following his run on Doctor Who.

message 6: by Leela4 (new)

Leela4 | 98 comments Thanks, Matthew, I hadn't heard. Well now I *have* to pay more attention!