Reading the Chunksters discussion

Archived 2010 Group Reads > Anything Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea It seems like so many or our King fans know of a lot of interesting information about King, games, and links. I thought it would be good if we had an organized way that we can share some of the information that doesn't necessarily fit with the specific chapter chat. Feel free to post away!

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I also wanted to post a link to the official Stephen King web page. There is a great area called the office. This is an interactive area that allows fans to work their way through Kings office and look at some of his personal memorabilia!

http://www.stephenking.com/index.html

message 3: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) I'm already a member of the forum linked to the site Andrea mentioned. A wonderful community of Stephen King fans.
You should check it out if you got the time.
The forum is moderated so keep in mind that you won't be able to post straight away. It's all explained there.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Thanks for the information Nath!

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I was looking for a character list and I came across a fairly good one from Wikipedia. I don't usually use this site as a source of information since it is not a reputable source. I also didn't want to copy and paste any information since it contains a lot of information that is SPOILERS!

The link is here for those who have read the book before or don't care about spoilers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stand

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Excellent link, Andrea!

message 7: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) OMG, guys, I'm watching Sons of Anarchy on FX right now (GREAT show, BTW) and Stephen King is totally guest starring! LMAO. I recognized him right away from his photo on the back of my copy of The Stand.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I taped it.....I'm just hoping it worked! I plan on seeing it tonight. :)

message 9: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) The appearance was quite humorous. More a cameo than anything.

Do you watch SOA generally?

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I missed it! A lot of people at work watch it, but I've never seen it. I'm usually doing homework, at the gym, reading, or cooking in my free time. I only watch a few shows.

message 11: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Oh Andrea, it is so, so good. I only started watching it this summer, via Netflix. The first season was a little uneven, but the second season was AMAZING. If you ever want to catch up, it's only about 12 episodes a season, and only 2+ seasons in. :)

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Loretta, thanks for the info! I am counting down my last weeks of school and I can't wait to catch up on all the fun stuff I've been missing for the last couple of years!

message 13: by Loretta (last edited Sep 22, 2010 08:08PM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) What are you studying, if you don't mind me asking?

I definitely started making much more active use of my Netflix queue in the year since I graduated from law school.

Oh, and also reading a ton more since I wasn't studying around the clock...

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I'm happy to answer Loretta.

I went back to school four years ago to get an associates in business. I loked it so much that I just kept going and in November I'll graduate with a bachelors in health care administration.

I'm very excited to be done (for now...hahahah) I just wish the job market was better.

Were you able to find a job after you finished school?

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I got to see Uncle Stevie in SOA last night! I was so thrilled it taped (it doesn't always work. :\ ) What a humorous part. I thought it was great! It was small, but definitely a perfect Stephen King moment! lol (I don't want to say too much if some people haven't seen it yet.)

message 16: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) @ Kathy: I loved that he asked for 80s music. ;-)

@ Andrea: Congrats on being almost done.:) it is a rough time to be leaving school though. :-\

And, yes, I've been fortunate. I spent a year working for a non-profit, doing policy work, and now I'm in the process of moving to Boston to join a law firm there.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Loretta, I know! I loved that, too! I'm a child of the 80's, myself! :)

Congrat, Andrea. I have been working on finally getting my degree. I'm only 5 classes away from getting my Associates. (I'm 41...shhhhh) Better late than never.

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Loretta, that is great- not to mention we'll be neighbors!!!! Well, I live right off of Cape Cod so maybe not neighbors...lol Do you know anyone that lives in the area?

Kathy, don't feel bad I'm slightly ahead of you finishing at 35...lol If it makes you feel any better I was about the average age in most of my classes. What are you getting your associates in? Do you think you will do more schooling in the future?

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Andrea, the original plan was to aim to get my Masters in Library Science so I could work with books. I couldn't think of anything else to be able to work with books. Currently my Associates is Humanities: General Studies. I don't think I'm going to go into Library Science, though. I work at a bookstore and love it! I can't imagine doing anything else. I might work on my Bachelors next in Business.

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Kathy, I was interested in Library Science for a while but the job outlook for this (at the time- 10 years ago) was very bad!

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I didn't even look into that. I just wanted to work w/ books. :\

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Today on AMC they are having a King marathon. I tried watching one with Brian but I was so freaked out that I'm hiding upstairs now...hahahah

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I caught Cujo yesterday. Good flick! :)

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Ohhhhhh NO kathy! I saw that when I was little and if I think about that dog for a second I get chillsssss!

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Sorry, Andrea! It's a great book, though! :)

message 26: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I'm just a wimp Kathy!...lol

message 27: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) We have to toughen you up, Andrea! ;)

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) I loved that movie. I was scared to death of dogs when I was little. The book is good too.

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) The book was great, but the ending was really sad. :(

message 30: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Random question: Is the Dark Tower series finished yet, or is it still ongoing? And how many books is it?

message 31: by Kathy (last edited Nov 30, 2010 12:37PM) (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) The Dark Tower series is complete. There are 7 books in the series.

By the way.....great series!!! :)

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) I heard the a mini-series for Under the Dome is being discussed. I would love to see that happen!