The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

Miscellaneous Archives > Film Adaptations & Movies You Love to Watch

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) | 1483 comments Mod
Susan (my wife) and I just enjoyed a nice hour-and-a-half with the 1992 film adaptation of Elizabeth von Arnim's "Enchanted April." Really a marvelously well done film all in all.

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments My favourite is Out of Africa.

message 3: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) Jan wrote: "My favourite is Out of Africa."

I still have yet to see that, Jan, but I know I need to remedy that soon.

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments You must! Do you have a favourite, Joy?

message 5: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) Cameron and I recently watched the 1981 adaptation of The French Lieutenant's Woman . I did appreciate the effort on the filmmaker/director/screenwriter's part to use the 'movie with a movie' effect to in some way represent the unique narration employed in the book. Unfortunately, much was lost in the relationship between Charles and Sarah as their relationship was largely perpetuated by non-verbal cues and nuances. The adaptation did not sufficiently translate or capture what was unspoken (by the characters, at least) in the novel.

message 6: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) Jan wrote: "You must! Do you have a favourite, Joy?"

I am typically very tough on film adaptations, but I have seen a few that I did enjoy. Strangely enough, I almost always read the book before I see the film adaptation of it, but it is usually the one that I do not read the book first that I enjoy more! I am too much of a stickler for my own good sometimes. The two adaptations that come to mind that I feel did credit to the original text and that I personally enjoyed are Atonement and The Road. Two adaptations that I did not enjoy, probably because I knew and enjoyed the book, are North & South and There Will be Blood (from Sinclair's Oil!, a shameful adaptation that was nothing like the novel).

A movie that is not an adaptation, but I love and can watch again and again, is Gosford Park. I wish it were a novel so that I could read it again and again, as well!

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments I absolutely adore the BBC series of Pride and Prejudice.....but then Jane Austen's books have so many delightful conversations, they lend themselves to film adaptations...That Mr Darcy...*sighs*

message 8: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) Oh, yes, I quite agree with you there. I have spent many a blissful afternoon watching that BBC adaptation!

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments One of my favourite scenes is Darcy's declaration of love for Lizzie,but she rejects him....ah the sweet, sweet,pain!

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Oh, Christopher, Enchanted April is one of my favorite movies of all time. Definately in my top 5 favorites. I finally found a banged up old paperback copy a couple of years ago and was delighted to find the movie was indeed faithful to the book.

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) I must have seen Out of Africa a hundred times and it never gets old. I get lost in the details, her table lines dripping with delicate crochet lace, her china,( "Limoge-it can break!") and the her fabulous clothes.

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) That's my favorite part too! The great climax of the film. I wait for it patiently and then keep remembering it during the rest of the movie, like a broken record.

message 13: by Jan (last edited Sep 07, 2010 06:43AM) (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments I love the story telling...each one has to tell a story...in Out of Africa.

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Jan wrote: "I love the story telling...each one has to tell a story...in Out of Africa."

Oh, yeah. I am so full of admiration of the story telling skill. Even though I was a voracious reader from an early age, I can't even retell someone else's story well. I love a good story and am envious of that talent.

message 15: by Historybuff93 (new)

Historybuff93 | 287 comments Apocalypse Now is one of my favorites. It's based off of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness (a favorite book), and set during the Vietnam War. Also, it's a brilliant movie just by itself, not taking the adaption into consideration. Everything about it I think is great. The Doors song The End also seems to fit the opening and ending sequences perfectly.

Does Masterpiece Theatre count as a film adaption?

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) | 1483 comments Mod
Historybuff93 wrote: "Apocalypse Now is one of my favorites. It's based off of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness (a favorite book), and set during the Vietnam War. Also, it's a brilliant movie just by itself, not taking..."

"Does Masterpiece Theatre count as a film adaption?" You betcha! Some of my most favorite film adaptations are BBC productions!

message 17: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Cranford! Sigh. Hoping I get it for Christmas.

message 18: by Historybuff93 (new)

Historybuff93 | 287 comments I missed the first couple episodes of Cranford, and I couldn't follow it after that.