Sweeping Sagas discussion

List your favorites here!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What are your favorite sagas? List them here!

message 2: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 478 comments Mod
You were looking kinda lonely here so I thought I'd join you. I'm sure more will come to me (I love sagas) but we'll start with these,

Wild Swan trilogy Celeste de Blasis
Shadow of the Moon & The Far Pavilions MM Kaye
Zemindar Valerie Fitzgerald
Penmarric, Cashelmara and Wheel of Fortune, Susan Howatch
The Proud Breed Celeste de Blasis

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL....after searching for a Saga Group and coming up empty handed, I decided to create one this afternoon....I knew you'd sniff it out sooner or later. :)

Are the Shadow of the Moon and The Far Pavillions related in content??

message 4: by Misfit (new)

Well, we'll have to send out some invites if no one spots this on our feeds.

SOTM and TFP, only because both are set in India otherwise not related at all. SOTM does *match* well with Zemindar, both deal with the Sepoy Rebellion, but one has the action outside the Lucknow residency and Zemindar inside it. If you can't find Zemindar I can loan you my copy. Excellent, and the writing is soooooo much like reading Bronte at times.

Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor.

You should start adding those that *qualify* to the group bookshelf. Might attract folks that way.

message 5: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Love a good sweeping saga!

A more recent release was Roses by Leila Meacham (I think!).

I used to love reading Noel Barber's books which I think would qualify too!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) All of the above that Misfit mentioned here..and wasnt there some by Dana Fuller Ross?
and another name that escapes me..would love to hear of others..love historical sagas!

message 7: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments HOw about Jennifer Donnelly's Rose trilogy (if that third book ever comes out?).

Barbara Taylor Bradford (haven't read one of them for years though!)

message 8: by Misfit (new)

This just got mentioned over at HFO

The Enchantress Saga

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) AH..now I remember! The Australian Series byWilliam Stuart Long who is also Vivian Stuart

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Thought of some more good ones.The Georgia Trilogy by Eugenia Price Bright Captivity Where Shadows Go Beauty from Ashes then there is her Savannah saga Savannah To See Your Fface Again Before the Darkness Falls Stranger in Savannah and of course who can forget Margaret Mitchell with her Gone With the Wind and the sequel Scarlett I wonder if she had lived would she herself have written a sequel? carried on to the next generation?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Misfit wrote: "This just got mentioned over at HFO

The Enchantress Saga"

This one I read many years ago...was pretty good..I think its the only "older" book still at my used book store..might pick to re-read..

message 13: by Misfit (new)

Sandi wrote: "Misfit wrote: "This just got mentioned over at HFO

The Enchantress Saga"

This one I read many years ago...was pretty good..I think its the only "older" book still at my used bo..."

I'm willing to gamble and found a HB edition of the trilogy in one. You don't find much Jacobite stuff, romance or HF.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Yeah..thats the one I had..paperback tho..III watch out for your review!

message 15: by Bettie (new)

Bettie oh! a ready made clique. Sorry for intruding folks...

:O))

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 10, 2010 06:03PM) (new)

message 18: by Misfit (new)

Michele wrote: "Herman Wouk:

The Winds of War

War and Remembrance"

My, it's been years since I've read those. Or seen the mini series.

Bettie wrote: "oh! a ready made clique. Sorry for intruding folks...

:O))"

Bettie, you jump in anytime.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan Hi - I love a good saga and saw this group so thought I'd join (more for good recommendations from like-minded people than anything)

My favourite saga's are The Bronze Horseman Trilogy (Paullina Simons), The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough) and just recently A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini). I particularly like Historical Fiction/War Romance... :)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Welcome Mumbo!:)

message 22: by Misfit (last edited Sep 12, 2010 05:30AM) (new)

Hi Mumbo, glad to have more people here with more suggestions. One can never have enough BFF to read :)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Lets not forget that classic western saga Lonesome Dove and its sqeuel Streets of Laredo by Larry McMurtry

message 24: by Sherron (new)

Sherron | 1 comments Not sure if these are considered saga.

Paint the Wind by Cathy Cash Spellman (loved it)
The Foliage Trilogy by Jacqueline Marten (loved them)
Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson (loved it)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Hi Sherron...Im not sure myself..I always assumed a Saga is where it continues into more than so many books and into different generations? help me out Misfit? ( she'd know if anyone) but I read Paint the Wind and Heart of the Westloved them both!

message 26: by Misfit (last edited Sep 12, 2010 05:44PM) (new)

We might need a definition thread. Are they multi generational? Or just plenty of strum and drang and drama? I tried googling the definition and trust me it won't help :-/

I loooooooved Paint the Wind. Really only one generation IIRC, but boy that gal went through a lot for a HEA, didn't she?

Funny about Heart of the West, I ended up kind of *meh* on that, but it came during a period when I was housebound with a broken limb and by the end of it books were flying so that might have been my fault and not the book's.

message 27: by Misfit (new)

Hmmm, Moppet just started this but it has sweeping saga all over it. Been looking at some of the movie on You Tube.

The Valley of Decision

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I think your right Misfit.A thread on books such as The Proud Breedwhere it is a generation that grows in one book..another for a "continue into the next generation.and maybe ones that have a story start with one or two familes..that continue but branch off..if you know what I mean? but connect in the future of books..ok I think Im making this more complicated then needs be..:( LOL google didnt work for me ethier.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL, seems simple enough to me:

SGS (Single gen saga)
MGS (Multi gen saga)

Look at us with our own little acronyms. :)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I like that Michele!! 2-thumbs up for you! :)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Well I just picked up this one Bellefleur byJoyce Carol Oates has several generations in it.its suppose to have lots of drama/suspence/romance/ but the reviews dont look that good..heh..III give it a try,was only a dollar..cant buy a coffee for that.

message 32: by Misfit (new)

Just make sure to report back, Sandi.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Will do..and it may be real soon..as the one Im now reading is starting to put me in snooze mode..landslide happening...:(

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Ive heard this historical saga ..that I havent got to yet is very good..maybe Misfit has read? it spans threw 4 generation of mother/daughters To Dance with Kings: A Novel by Rosalind Laker

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Sandi wrote: "Ive heard this historical saga ..that I havent got to yet is very good..maybe Misfit has read? it spans threw 4 generation of mother/daughters To Dance with Kings: A Novel by [author:..."

Oh, I've got that one....haven't read it yet, lol, but it is sitting on my shelf somewhere around here. :)

message 36: by Misfit (new)

I've read it and it's on my top favorites of Laker's books, with a close second being This Shining Land (not a saga but very good).

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Well Michele..if Misfit gives it thumbs up..thats enough for me to take off my shelf..and give it my next read.
She's pretty dead on with the historical stuff..IMHO

message 38: by Misfit (new)

Sandi wrote: "Well Michele..if Misfit gives it thumbs up..thats enough for me to take off my shelf..and give it my next read.
She's pretty dead on with the historical stuff..IMHO"

I am fairly certain I've had a clunker or two. Sooner or later you'll pick one that I'll love to bits and you'll be scratching your head thinking WTF did she read? :p

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) LOL!! you may be right...:)

message 40: by Misfit (new)

It might not sweep, but it definitely qualifies as saga. I've still about 200 pages left. Three generations of women, Kansas,Civil War, and more.

Seventrees by Janice Young Brooks

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) This book looks good Misfit..look forward to your review.

message 42: by Misfit (new)

Sandi wrote: "This book looks good Misfit..look forward to your review."

Sandi, I did enjoy Seventrees and recommend it. A couple of recent finds yesterday, although I haven't read them they do look promising.

The Tenants of Time by Thomas Flanagan Ireland, 1867

Tanamera (Coronet Books) by Noel Barber It's HUGE.

Also, has anyone heard of the Savannah Quartet by Eugenia Price? I ended up with book #4 but this series sounds interesting. I've placed a hold on book #1 (damn, I was all ready to pick up the book I had last night until I discovered it was the last of a series).

Savannah (Savannah Quartet #1) by Eugenia Price To See Your Fface Again by Eugenia Price Before the Darkness Falls by Eugenia Price Stranger in Savannah (Savannah Quartet, #4) by Eugenia Price

message 43: by Misfit (new)

Also, I think I forgot to mention Cynthia Harrod Eagle's Kirov Saga. I loved them, a good blend of romance and history. They can be read out of order, as there's at least a generation or two between books.

Anna (The Kirov Saga, #1) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles Fleur (The Kirov Saga, #2) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles Emily (The Kirov Saga, #3) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

message 44: by Misfit (new)

One more I got yesterday I'm curious about. Post Civil war to 1930's. Michele, I accidentally got two copies so I can save the MMPB for you. That's 1400 pages, the TP I also picked up is 1,000 pages!

And Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Santmyer

I noticed Moppet has it on her shelf, wonder if she knows much about it?

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Misfit wrote: "One more I got yesterday I'm curious about. Post Civil war to 1930's. Michele, I accidentally got two copies so I can save the MMPB for you. That's 1400 pages, the TP I also picked up is 1,000 page..."

oh goody....see, Craig's List browsing paid off, lol! I've seen And Ladies of the Club before, but pretty certain I've never read it. Thx!

message 46: by Misfit (new)

OK, that one is on your pile along with the MM Kayes and Howatch.

message 47: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments I did wonder why you got two copies of And Ladies of the Club.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Misfit wrote: "Sandi wrote: "This book looks good Misfit..look forward to your review."

Sandi, I did enjoy Seventrees and recommend it. A couple of recent finds yesterday, although I haven't read them they do ..."

Misfit wrote: "Sandi wrote: "This book looks good Misfit..look forward to your review."

Sandi, I did enjoy Seventrees and recommend it. A couple of recent finds yesterday, although I haven't read them they do ..."

Misfit wrote: "Sandi wrote: "This book looks good Misfit..look forward to your review."

Misfit..message #11 above I have all Eugenia Price's books the Georgian & Savannah series..havent read yet tho..the other two look good..Ive heard of The Tenants of Time.

message 49: by Misfit (new)

Marg wrote: "I did wonder why you got two copies of And Ladies of the Club."

Hhsf no idea until I got home. Hsf filled two bags, took them to the car and then returned for another graze. Must have happened then.

Sandi, the Price books sound awfully good.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I've got the first two in the Savannah series by price, fwiw.

« previous 1