CanLit Challenge discussion

General Discussion > Canadian books & authors -- recommendations & requests #1

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
Thanks for joining my CanLit Challenge group. I know we'll have some great discussions about Canadian books and authors & lots of other stuff besides. Feel free to introduce yourselves in this thread & let us know what you think about CanLit (favourite books & authors for example). This folder is open to all and any discussions about Canadian stuff, including books not on the official Challenge list. If you have recommendations to share or wish to solicit suggestions for further reading, this is the place to do it.

Ta,
Ibis

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (metalg) | 1 comments Hi, I just joined your group. I think it's fantastic that there is some interest in Canadian Literature, although sadly not much. May I make a few suggestions for books to add to your shelf? It may attract more people if there are more books on your shelf.

* Why I Hate Canadians (1997)
* I Was a Teenage Katima-Victim! (1998)
* Hokkaido Highway Blues (1998), republished in 2005 as Hitching Rides with Buddha
* The Hitchhiker's Guide to Japan (1998)
* Bastards & Boneheads: Canada's Glorious Leaders Past and Present (1999)
* The Girlfriend's Guide to Hockey (1999)
* Canadian History for Dummies (2000, revised 2005)
* Generica (2001), winner of the Stephen Leacock Award, later republished as Happiness™
* How to Be a Canadian (Even if You Already Are One) (2001), cowritten with Ian Ferguson
* Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw: Travels in Search of Canada (2004), winner of the Stephen Leacock Award
* The Penguin Anthology of Canadian Humour (editor) (2006)
* Spanish Fly (2007)
* Beyond Belfast: A 560-Mile Walk Across Northern Ireland on Sore Feet (2009)
* Coal Dust Kisses: A Christmas Memoir (2010)
All of these books are by author Will Ferguson who was born in the hamlet Fort Vermilion, Alberta.

message 3: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
Amanda wrote: "Hi, I just joined your group. I think it's fantastic that there is some interest in Canadian Literature, although sadly not much. May I make a few suggestions for books to add to your shelf?"

Hi Amanda. Great to see another CanLit lover. And thanks for your suggestions. I'm not sure exactly how the group bookshelf works (if you're familiar, please let me know via PM so I can ask you questions :) ), but I know I want to highlight Challenge books specifically (maybe keep the shelf reserved only for them? I'm not sure...).

message 4: by Mrsgaskell (new)

Mrsgaskell | 12 comments I’m always delighted to discover great Canadian books, whether they’re part of the the New Canadian Library or new offerings by current authors. I always feel somewhat guilty though that I’m not a great fan of Margaret Atwood or Carol Shields. Particular favourite Canadian authors of mine include Margaret Laurence, Constance Beresford-Howe, and Frances Itani. A few favourite books are The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence, Clara Callan by Richard B. Wright, and Good to a Fault by Marina Endicott.

Having reviewed my book notes, here are some other recommended titles, not in any particular order:

The Guests of War Trilogy – Kit Pearson (children’s)
In Search of April Raintree – Beatrice Moisionier Culleton
Ces enfants de ma vie (Children of My Heart) – Gabrielle Roy
La petite poule d’eau (Where Nests the Water Hen)– Gabrielle Roy
Deafening – Frances Itani
Remembering the Bones – Frances Itani
My Remarkable Uncle – Stephen Leacock
Bachelor Brothers’ Bed & Breakfast – Bill Richardson
The Blue Mountains of China – Rudy Wiebe
The Marriage Bed – Constance Beresford-Howe
The Book of Eve – Constance Beresford-Howe
A Population of One – Constance Beresford-Howe
Who Has Seen the Wind – W.O. Mitchell
Clara Callan – Richard B. Wright
The Fire Dwellers - Margaret Laurence
A Bird in the House - Margaret Laurence
The Diviners - Margaret Laurence
The Stone Angel - Margaret Laurence
Good to a Fault – Marina Endicott
The Outlander – Gil Adamson
No Great Mischief – Alistair MacLeod
As Birds Bring Forth the Sun and Other Stories - Alistair MacLeod
Coventry – Helen Humphreys
The Lost Garden – Helen Humphreys
The Innocent Traveller – Ethel Wilson
Dead Cold – Louise Penny
As For Me and My House – Ross Sinclair
Such is My Beloved - Morley Callaghan
Wild Geese – Martha Ostenso
The Unyielding Clamour of the Night - Neil Bissoondath
A Fine Balance – Rohinton Mistry
Family Matters – Rohinton Mistry
Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures – Vincent Lam
Life of Pi – Yann Martel
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie – Alan Bradley
The Weed that Strings the Hangman’s Bag - Alan Bradley
Fifth Business – Robertson Davies
The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne – Brian Moore
Obasan – Joy Kogawa
Three Day Road - Joseph Boyden
La Grosse Femme d’a cote est enceinte (The Fat Woman Next Door is Pregnant) – Michel Tremblay
The Gargoyle- Andrew Davidson
I am Hutterite – Mary-Ann Kirkby
The Last Crossing – Guy Vanderhaeghe
The Englishman’s Boy – Guy Vanderhaeghe

message 5: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
I should let people know that, under normal circumstances, I generally do 3 CanLit Challenge books a quarter (perhaps 1 or 2 more depending on length). This quarter (July-September), I left all my CLC books to the end, in addition to which I had to finish reading Armand Durand, or, A promise fulfilled. But both In the Village of Viger and Wild Animals I Have Known are very short so if you want to read them with me, it shouldn't pose too much of an obstacle. As for Tempest-tost, it's an extra bonus, because I'm listening to it as an audiobook (apx. 9.5 hours), which I should also be finished by the end of September.

October-December should prove to be a little more organised.

message 6: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
Mrsgaskell wrote: "Having reviewed my book notes, here are some other recommended titles, not in any particular order"

Some great titles there, MrsG! Many of them have already been read as Challenge books & those ones will be added gradually (cos I don't have time to do them all at once!) to the group bookshelf. Others are already on the Challenge's TBR list, so maybe you'll re-read them when they come up?

message 7: by John (new)

John I just finished The Flying Troutmans and absolutely loved it. It is full of wacky characters and poignant situations and was never predictable. Young 11 year old Thebes was my favorite character. She always made me smile, if not laugh out loud. Great book.

message 8: by Pooker (new)

Pooker | 13 comments John wrote: "I just finished The Flying Troutmans and absolutely loved it. It is full of wacky characters and poignant situations and was never predictable. Young 11 year old Thebes was my favori..."

I also loved that book, John. If you've not read Toews's first novel Summer of My Amazing Luck, you should give it a go. I suspect you'll love it too.

message 9: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle (awaken80) MrsG, I didn't know that The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, The Diviners, and The Gargoyle were written by Canadian authors! They are already on my TBR pile, so now I have an extra good reason to read them!