Delirity discussion

Authors I-J > Wheel of Time - R. Jordan

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather (last edited Sep 21, 2010 10:02PM) (new)

message 2: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Hahaha, thanks Heather! I think it will be pretty lonely in this thread all by myself though.

These are the new cover for the ebooks that have came out in the past year, they are a huge improvement over the others:

The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) by Robert Jordan The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) by Robert Jordan The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4) by Robert Jordan The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5) by Robert Jordan Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6) by Robert Jordan A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7) by Robert Jordan The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8) by Robert Jordan Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9) by Robert Jordan Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10) by Robert Jordan Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time Series #11) by Robert Jordan

The new cover coming out for The Gathering Storm is Photobucket .

I don't want to add it to GR yet as I don't have the details.

message 3: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments The newer covers are a lot nicer! And much more cohesive with one another. :)

message 4: by Heather (last edited Sep 06, 2010 03:58PM) (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
The 2 that are really different just didn't have covers the same size. They were tiny covers and I like to keep the row even so I just used the odd covers. However, the ecovers are much nicer and more likely to get someone to pick up the books.

BTW - I made it just for you Carrie. =)

message 5: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments :D

That is right Stacia! Get reading, lol. I will be re-reading the last few books soon. I want to start from the beginning but I want to wait until after the series is over next year to do a complete re-read.

The odd covers are the UK ones. I actually have the 7th in that edition which is the red one up there. I think if the books get redone with the ebook covers more people will definitely try them. The series doesn't have a small following by any means. It is very well known in fantasy circles. For some reason most fantasy books (epic not YA or Urban) have horrible covers. I don't understand it. The scene in the new ebook cover was one of my all time favourite scenes ever. I am so glad they decided to go with it (actually Leigh, an amazing girl that runs a WoT encyclopedia, threatened the artist with bodily harm if he didn't choose it, lol).

message 6: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Recently they have been releasing the prologue to the next book out usually a month or so before. The prologue for The Towers of Midnight will be released Spet. 21! Even though it is $2.99 I will buy it anyway. Sometimes I don't even read them. No that's not true, I try to wait, but eventually break down and read it. Distinctions Prologue to Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela B Your passion for these books makes me want to try them, maybe the first one will fit something I go have planned for the A-z challenge and I'll try it that way

message 8: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Hahaha. The first one is called The Eye of the World, so it fits for E! Stacia is going to read it too.

I read a sample chapter of the new book today! Chapter 8, and it ended in a cliffhanger! Grrrrr... I can stay away from most sites and extras, but not for this.

message 9: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Ok, I know nobody here reads this series, but someday maybe somebody here will, lol. Because I think this trailer is amazing I need to post it everywhere (and Jason directed it and did effects). I'm not sure if we can embed vids, but since we can do pics lets see.

This is the trailer for the Towers of Midnight. I guess it would be a spoiler for somebody in the middle of the series, but otherwise you won't get any of it so it doesn't matter. I just think it's well done.

Nope didn't work, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apJJ0N...

message 10: by Vivian (last edited Sep 21, 2010 09:12PM) (new)

Vivian (_vivian) You left out New Spring!!
New Spring (Wheel of Time, #0) by Robert Jordan
It's a prequel to the series. I would suggest reading it after starting the series though. I heart Lan Mandragoran, which is why I think New Spring deserves a mention. Plus, isn't the name so much fun to say?

I will join Carrie in the WOT love. I have to admit, I think the series gets a little long-winded, but it's definitely worth a try for fantasy fans. The first few books are amazing. I plan on one day finishing the series (stopped around book 8), but I'm torn between re-reading from the beginning or continuing where I left off.

message 11: by Heather (new)

I hear the new guy is pretty good. What'd you think?

message 12: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments The series slows around there Vivian, but picks back up again. I am re-reading the last few since last year I read up to book 9 and ran out of time. Books 8, 9, and 10 were where things didn't move as fast paced and got more political. Then RJ picked things back up again.

Heather, Brandon is amazing. I loved The Gathering Storm, and couldn't be sure what were his words and what were RJ's. Except one of the characters was off for me, and he's my favourite! Jordan did extensive voice notes as well as sat down with Harriet and Wilson (his wife who's his editor and his cousin who's like his brother) and explained how the whole series will end.

When I opened the Gathering Storm (the first book not finished by Jordan) and I saw R.J.'s signature there (which they've never done before) I cried. I never cry while reading, and really I don't cry much in general. I cried three times during the last book and I think the other two parts where I cried where possibly written by Jordan. I'm not sure though, but wow, they were powerful.

I loved what Sanderson did for WoT, but I like Sanderson on his own. I really liked Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson and The Mistborn series was a good read. I have his new book The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive, #1) by Brandon Sanderson but haven't started it as I want to finish my WoT reread first.

message 13: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) Nice to know Sanderson does a good job with the books. Out of curiosity, what character was off?

message 14: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Mat. He seemed a bit forced. Or he said things that he just wouldn't say.

I read the prologue for The Towers of Midnight and it was great. I had serious shivers when I finished. Because the time for the Last Battle is here and everybody knows it, it has this heavy, creepy feel to it.

I am already trying to see if I can get a babysitter the Wednesday after the book is released so I can read, read, read! Is that bad?

message 15: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments These few books I have been reading this week are definitely my least favourite in the series. Leigh Butler from Encyclopedia WoT explained it exactly like I feel. WoT is like family. Even if I don't love some of the books like the others, I can't not care or be interested in what happens. I think Heather said she flet that way with Anita Blake? CoT is the last slow book in the series, KoD picks up the pace and TGS rocks. Can't wait to read it again!

message 16: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) I love that you're so passionate about this series! I think I understand what you mean about family. I get that way sometimes with tv shows. Example - Grey's. It went through a rocky patch but I just couldn't give up watching. And now it's exciting again.

I think I have to hunt down some of my WoT books, they've been lent out over the years and you've inspired me to continue the series. Plus, I'm still darn curious about whether or not Moiraine comes back later in the series.

message 17: by Carrie (Care) (last edited Sep 26, 2010 10:09AM) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Oh you have to! I LOVE Moiraine, and the new FoH ebook cover with her on the front is my favourite. Now is the perfect time to read the series since the last book, A Memory of Light, comes out next year. If you finish before you can get in some fun with theorizing all the crazy things left till the end (although a lot of things will have already happened by then).

If you don't want to re-read all of them, Leigh at www.encyclopaedia-wot.org has chapter summaries of all the books. They are linked to characters and events, if there is something you forgot.

Also, I have the ebooks if anybody wants to the first few to see if they like them. I can convert them to whatever format. :D I feel like like a drug dealer giving out free samples, lol.

message 18: by Angela (new)

Angela B Well I was looking for a new dealer Carrie :)

message 19: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) haha. You guys crack me up :P

I've actually been to www.encyclopaedia-wot.org, or something similar, but I felt like if I was going to go through all those summaries, I might as well just re-read the books (which makes no sense time-wise, but summaries aren't quite as good as the real thing).

I think I stopped at PoD so if I can find it, then I'll take it as a sign I should start up the series again, even if I feel a little bit like I'm jumping on the bandwagon just for the series end.

message 20: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments PoD is the book that had just come out when I first read the series. That was in 1996! I bought all of the books, but couldn't find PoD as it was sold out. So I borrowed it from a friend and then bought it later on.

I think I will need therapy once this series ends.

Oh, and if anybody does want/need the ebooks, just pm me you're email address and format.

message 21: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) I can't believe you will have waited 15 years for the end of the series! That is a long-term relationship, can see why you might need therapy once it ends, lol.

message 22: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Yes, it is. And I went through YEARS of dry spells. When I started reading I had to wait 2 years between books (and they were the worst books in the series), and after R.J. passed we had to wait 4 years for another new book.

message 23: by Vivian (last edited Sep 28, 2010 12:45PM) (new)

Vivian (_vivian) I started reading the series in 2003 or 2004 and I knew there would be years between the last couple books coming out so I figured I'd just wait until they were all released to continue and finish. But now I'm excited because everyone else is excited and the end is so close, still looking for PoD but I think I know who has it...

I was also reluctant to start reading A Song of Ice and Fire (George R.R. Martin) for the reason you just stated - dry spells - that series may never get finished, but I've just started it and I think I've been sucked in.

message 24: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I haven't read past the first book. It was ok, but it was very political. WoT is too, but you slowly get to that stuff later on. I am interested in seeing what happens with the series.

I am really excited for the tv series on HBO. I usually like what they do. They won't spare us the violence and sex, and they do politics and war very well. There is a great cast and Jane Espenson is on the writing team, so that makes me happy.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments I'm so excited for that HBO series. But now I've got to start reading the books. I’ve been avoiding it because I want to know that the last book is out.

I'm paranoid that another Melanie Rawn incident will happen.

message 26: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I don't think I know who that is. Did a series of hers never get finished or something?

message 27: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments I stopped right in the middle of another epic fantasy because the author hasnt finished the series and its been out for a looonnnng time. Its called a game of thrones I just dont feel like i should invest time and money into something the author is not even into any more. His site that was updated a few years back i think said that he still hadnt finished the next book and on one of the editors blog they listed him as an example of why its so hard to go out there and sign a epic fantasy author. She said she didnt know if he would ever finish it or if they would have to contract somebody else out to do it after his death. I have the first book in the Wheel of Time series but after this last book comes out I think i might start reading. Although I've been hearing really good things and am tempted to start now. I dont think I could have waited 15 years sometimes i have a hard to stayin interested in a series while waiting for a couple months for the next book lol.
annnd my long winded vent about nothing is over. :) thank you for your time lol

message 28: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Sep 29, 2010 05:13PM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments I don't think I know who that is. Did a series of hers never get finished or something?

The author is Melanie Rawn, the series is Exiles. I've waited 12 years for the final book to come out. Her website continuely says, "Work in progress." She's still alive, it just kills me. Especailly when she came out with a brand new series and the next book in that series is going to make it out before the unfinished one. I've finally give up waiting. If it comes out, I'm not sure if I have enough faith for the book to be good after such a huge span of time.

The Ruins of Ambrai (Exiles, #1) by Melanie Rawn The Mageborn Traitor (Exiles, #2) by Melanie Rawn

message 29: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Chakara, that is the same series we were just talking about above. I have heard a lot about George R.R. Martin not doing much in the series. I didn't realize he wasn't even updating his website. wow.

Shera, that really sucks. The biggest gap we had was when Jordan passed away. Of course there was a lot that had to be sorted out.

R.J. was so amazing with his fans. Even when he was very sick he had his cousin post on his blog for him. He did as many notes as he could and even had to start doing voice notes. He wrote a lot of the last parts of the book (that are now broken into 3 books), and made sure his family knew exactly what was to happen in the series with each character and every aspect of the story. It makes me unbelievably sad that he couldn't be here to finish it himself. And then there are authors that are here and can work and write and keep their fans up to date on their progress - and they don't bother.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Yeah, R.J. was great. I feel so bad that I didn't know he passed away until 2008.

The man was dedicated, it really is a shame he couldn't be there for the end of his great work. That's probably why all of his books are so rich.

I think I'll start reading Martin when he gets back with the program. Good to know all that Chakara.

message 31: by Heather (new)

She's probably afraid of it sucking. You can't end a series bad and if you're uncomfortable with it's ending it's better to wait then write a crappy book. Or, you just get writers block and blank on what to do at all.

message 32: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments ^^ That's true, but still there should be some progress reported to her fans. It's only fair.

Shera wrote: "Yeah, R.J. was great. I feel so bad that I didn't know he passed away until 2008.

The man was dedicated, it really is a shame he couldn't be there for the end of his great work. That's probab..."

I heard via text message. I did a podcast for the website that Jim kept his blog on and we all found out asap so we could record. Very sad day.

I have to say, Brandon is amazing as well. He grew up reading WoT and was just as big of a fan as myself. He does a lot for us fans. He even dedicated this new book to some of the more prominent WoT fans (who are amazing in their own right).

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Yeah, I've considered that, I know I'd have a hard time if I was in her shoes. It's just my exasperation feeling the need to rant.

message 34: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Hahaha, we posted at the exact same time.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Ahhaha, that is funny.

I just got done reading Brandon's Eulogy. Sounds like he was the best man for the job.

message 36: by Heather (new)

I had edited that to say something along the lines of how she might have just given up because she's tired of the series and is being a pain at the end of my post, but apparently it didn't take.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Heather wrote: "I had edited that to say something along the lines of how she might have just given up because she's tired of the series and is being a pain at the end of my post, but apparently it didn't take."

If that's the case, I wish she would just say that. But I'm sure her publisher would really want her to get it done, especially if there is any contract or something.

message 38: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) I'm assuming the author does have a contract so she can't just say to her fans, sorry, I'm not going to finish the series, but that is unfair to people waiting for the end. I understand writer's block to a certain extent, but 12 years is excessive.

I heard so many good things about what Jordan did getting his notes together and trying to do what he could for the series even when he was ill. It made me appreciate him so much more as an author. It's nice to hear about authors so dedicated to their writing and fans:)

message 39: by Heather (new)

I'm waiting for news from Paolini. Apparently he was in Germany with Lauren Kate recently. Maybe he's getting closer to a release date.

message 40: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I'm waiting on news for a date too. I get email updates usually when they know stuff like book release dates. I keep waiting to hear something. I don't want to read Brisingr until the next book is almost out.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments I've only read the first one. I want them to be all out before I plunge into them. Isn't there only supposed to be four?

message 42: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I think so. It was supposed to be a trilogy, but right before brisingr came out, he announced there would be one one book. That's why I didn't go out and read Brisingr right away.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Same here. I've developed a nasty habbit of reading the debut book, then waiting until I know the last one is out.

message 44: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Just read the prologue in The Eye of The World Omg so good. lol I picked up the second book from my used book store so I thought I should go ahead and get started on this reading.

message 45: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Yay!!!!!!!!!!

That's funny that you liked the prologue because it's usually very confusing to people. My bff read the prologue years ago (when Potter was still coming out) and was like WTF? She never picked up the book again. I bug her about it constantly though. Can you believe that I even bribed her to read it? Lol.

I love the second book much more than the first. Some of my friends didn't though, so I guess you never know.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Chakara wrote: "Just read the prologue in The Eye of The World Omg so good. lol I picked up the second book from my used book store so I thought I should go ahead and get started on this reading."

The prologue sold me on this book too. I wasn't going to read them because they were too big. I thought the prologue gave you enough information to get an idea of what was going on so that you'll want to read a head.

message 47: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Carrie (Care) wrote: "Yay!!!!!!!!!!

That's funny that you liked the prologue because it's usually very confusing to people. My bff read the prologue years ago (when Potter was still coming out) and was like WTF? She n..."

Well to me its kinda a version of the begining of "the world" and then we learn in chapter one thats its A BEGINING because the wheel of time is always turning lol. It seems like to me its a fight between good and bad an so far bad is winning. The darkness is trying to take over the light, even the sun has a shodowy look. Idk still have like 600 pgs to go so I might change my theory :).

message 48: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments I hope that wasnt spoilerish for Heather or anyone else that hasnt picked it up yet but will be for the Read it Because I said so.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments No that's pretty good. I think the prologue is good at giving you those basics, while still being awesome! >_<

If it would have been like one of David Eddings prologues I'm not sure if I would have had the stregnth to start this series.

message 50: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Shera wrote: "No that's pretty good. I think the prologue is good at giving you those basics, while still being awesome! >_<

If it would have been like one of David Eddings prologues I'm not sure if I would ..."

LOL I HAD A FEW OF HIS BOOKS BUT UMMM I STOPPED ON THE FIRST PAGE IDK THEY MAY BE GREAT BUT I JUST DIDNT WANT TO READ EM. MY EYES STARTED GETTING TIRED. THE EYE OF THE WORLD MADE ME WANT TO STAY UP AND READ MORE. SORY FOR THE ALL CAPS TO LAZY TO SWITCH IT OFF. PROMISE IM NOT YELLING LOL.

« previous 1