Western Romance discussion

Romance Characters

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (last edited Sep 06, 2010 10:12AM) (new)

Julie Lence (bettysbassboat) | 145 comments Mod
Hello:
How is everyone? We had such a great turnout last month discussing some of our favorite western romances that I thought this month we would discuss some of our favorite romance characters and why they are your favorite. And they don't have to come from western romance stories.

My first favorite--James Mallory from Johanna Lindsey's Gentle Rogue. I enjoy reading James' character in every Malory book he's in. James is a minature version of the Hulk, strong and quick to throw his fists and ask questions later. He's opinated and has a grand temper, but he's also loyal to and protective of family. He loves his wife fiercly and with his whole being and would do anything for her. And he's funny. I ALWAYS enjoy his scenes, maybe because my sense of humor is just as twisted as his.

My second favorite is Nick Sinclair in Judith McNaught's Double Standards. Though he is egotistical and temperamental and treats women as playthings, he's a man with deep feeling and heartbreak. But when the right woman comes along, he tries to keep her at arm's length for fear of commitment and getting hurt again. He does treat her as though she means nothing to him, but he always listens and remembers everything she says or does. And when he finally lets go of his fears, he loves her deeply and whole-heartedly and thanks her for sticking by him and helping him beat the demons from his past.

Tell me your favorites.

message 2: by Readitnweep (new)

Readitnweep | 4 comments I just read the book I'll claim for my favorite western historical romance: Heart of Texas by Constance O'Banyon. The characters and plot were compelling, believeble and the author did an excellent job of weaving the emotions, setting, history and situation. Plus, there were a few parts that made me laugh. Best western romance I've read in a very long time. Really sucked me in and I'm looking for more by this author.

message 3: by Julie (new)

If I'm thinking of the same person, I read a few of her books a long time ago. But I think her name was Constance Day O'Banyon. I will keep her in mind. Thank you for the recommendation.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite romance characters are from Nora Roberts Chesapeake Bay Saga. I fell in love with the little boy in the story Seth and was excited when he got his own storyline.

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Sullivan | 14 comments Good morning. I thought I'd pop in since I just joined the group. I'm Sandy Sullivan and I write western romance, both historical and contemporary erotic for several publishers.

I have read a few Linda Leah Miller books, and many, many other authors. Cowboys, jeans, chaps and Stetson's are at the top for me.

~ Sandy

message 6: by Julie (new)

Hi Sandy:
It's nice to meet you. It's been quiet on the group, but I confess, I haven't had time to get another discussion going.
What are some of the books you've written and where can we find them?
There's something about a man in a Stetson, with a shy smile and quiet manner. Both on the pages of a story and in real life. They say a lot about his character.

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Sullivan | 14 comments Thanks for the welcome. I'm published with Siren/Bookstrand, Whiskey Creek, Passion In Print, Secret Cravings Publishing and The Wild Rose Press. Most of mine are on Siren currently. My next cowboy piece comes out with Whiskey Creek Torrid on 11/1/10. I've written Cowboy Love, Wild Wyoming Nights (Wilder Series 1), Wild Rodeo Nights (Wilder Series 2), Wild Nevada Ride (Wilder Series 3), Wild Rekindled Love (Wilder Series 4,) Love's Sweet Surrender, Texas Lady, Advertising For Love, Strictly Professional (Stud Service 1), Professional Liaison and Unexpected Lovers. The title of my Whiskey Creek Press piece is Hot Summer Love (Cowboys Style 1), my piece coming with Passion In Print is Gotta Love A Cowboy, Secret Cravings piece is Love Me Once, Love Me Twice (Montana Cowboys 1).

Shesh! That's a mouthful!

~ Sandy

message 8: by Jayne (new)

Jayne Who are the best western authors out there now? Some of the book recommended here are out of print now. Where would I go to find one not at B%N any longer? Any suggestions?

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Sullivan | 14 comments There are tons of good western authors depending on whether you like contemporary or historical. The best place to find any book, ebook or print especially if it's an older title, is probably on amazon. I'd check them first.

Sandy

message 10: by Jayne (new)

Jayne Thanks for the help. I'll take your advice and look there first. Just seems that the market is very over loaded with vampire and regency books at this time.

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Sullivan | 14 comments Very true. Seems the vampires, shapeshifters, etc. are the hot market. Good thing I write cowboys, I guess. LOL

Sandy

message 12: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) I like a paranormal romance every now and then, but it has been overkill (PUN INTENDED) lately. I find I am seeking out a good western romance or small-town romance.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Sullivan | 14 comments I have several good old western romances in my backlist. You can see them at www.romancestorytime.com.

Enjoy!

Sandy

message 14: by Julie (new)

I have 2 western romances. Both are available at Asylett Press.com

For older books, Jayne, I find a used book store has plenty of back list books. Got plenty of older works by the authors I read at such places. Hope it helps.

message 15: by Jayne (new)

Jayne Thank you for the suggestions.

message 16: by Mar (new)

Mar | 7 comments The rainbow season and rainbow promise are pretty good. I am in love with Luke Turner my dang selg. lol!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Historical Romance Discussion > i'm looking for a romance novel where the hero has deserted the war and leads a wagon party

" hi am new and i need help i'm looking for a book i read a few years ago its a romance. slavery has been abolished and a young (white) girl along with her uncle (i think) join a wagon party with some other people including whores travelling to someplace new to make a new life for themselves since they are facing hard times. the hero of the book has deserted the war and he is chosen to lead the wagon party . the first time the hero is introduced he gets in to a fight with a young man from the girl's life who wants her .he has wanted her for a long time and in one scene he is raping a young indian girl. the hero kills him in the end (i think).
SOME SCENES THAT I REMEMBER
the hero and the heroine make love in the back of the wagon but it was painful for her since she was a virgin so she kicks him out
THE GIRL IS KIDNAPPED NY THE YOUNG MAN IN THE NIGHT WHILE THEY WERE MAKING CAMP THE HERO GOES AFTER HER
THE MAKE LOVE IN AN OLD CABIN
also the heroine becomes pregnant and she is reunited with the hero in the end (i forgot y the stopped speaking)

ALSO I REMEMBER IN THE BEGINNING OF THE BOOK THE HERO IS REMEMBERING A TIME WHEN HE STARTED VISITING WHORES SHE SAYS TO HIM "YOU BEEN PULLING ON IT ALOT" lol
I've been looking for this book for a long time so please HELP

message 18: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Camp (deborahcamp) | 17 comments As for romance heroes, there are so many I love. Among the ones I have created, I like Reno Gold and Johnny Cheyenne. I also love Storm-in-his-eyes. I love western heroes who are reformed bad boys or misunderstood. I like for them to have a sense of humor, too. To me, the true western hero must be hard on the outside and have a big, mushy heart inside. By the way, all of my western romances are available as ebooks on Amazon.