Book Club discussion

Your Questions?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (last edited Sep 06, 2010 06:14AM) (new)

John Cicero | 71 comments Mod
What would you like to learn more about our Authors and Readers?

Post your questions here to our authors or our readers.

Authors - What do you want to know more about the readers? (What are people reading, what genre's are hot, what grabs your attention on a bookshelf? etc...)

Readers - Here's your opportunity. What do you want to know about our authors? (Technique's, inspirations, etc..)

message 2: by Daniele (new)

Daniele Lanzarotta (danielelanzarotta) | 19 comments K.I.

That is a tough one... I personally don't like to give too much away in a synopsis, but at the same time I keep wondering if it is too vague.
This is especially difficult with a series. You have to be careful on what to reveal in the synopsis in order not to ruin the surprises from the previous book to readers who may have just started reading the series...

message 3: by Daniele (new)

Daniele Lanzarotta (danielelanzarotta) | 19 comments It could go either way... For my upcoming novel, I have a synopsis and excerpt: http://danielelanzarotta.blogspot.com...

If you are not sure what to do, I would put together three options (synopsis 1, synopsis 2, and just the quote) and select a number of people, readers or authors, and see what they think...

message 4: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Hallinan | 25 comments I think most people want to know who the main character is, when and where he/she lives (you can skip when if it's in the present), what is the main challenge he or she faces, and the relatively early twist, if there is one, that suddenly raises the stakes. I think stakes are extremely important in these descriptions. None of my publishers has ever used a quote from the book except once, when it described the fool's paradise in which the protagonist was living and which was about to come to an abrupt end.

Probably the best model is falp copy, although I always argue that flap copy for my books gives away too much story. (And I always win.)

message 5: by John (new)

John Cicero | 71 comments Mod
Great feedback everyone.

What about the marketing of your books? What are some powerful ways to grab attention on bookshelves and online?

What's worked for you and what hasn't?

message 6: by Toni (new)

Toni Nelson (goodreadscomtoninelson) | 20 comments If I am in a bookstore and see my book on the shelf, I will face the cover out so that it will grab the readers eye. As far as marketing there is nothing better than the old tactic of face to face and speaking events to create a buzz about your book. A Beggars Purse by Toni Nelson

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Alley (traceya) I think more than anything, as a writer, I would like to know how to write a really good blurb. I've tweaked mine more times than I can count and as I'm selling they're obviously ok but I've always envied those books with the really great 'hook' blurbs. I'm not sure I've ever achieved that but I'll keep trying. I also agree with Toni - covers are critical.

message 8: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Dunbar | 66 comments John wrote: "... What about the marketing of your books? What are some powerful ways to grab attention on bookshelves and online? ... What's worked for you and what hasn't?"

John,

Aside from marketing though expanding our online presence by adding our works to reader sites, participating in reader discussions, seeking reviews, seeking interviews, and blogging, we attend many local events where our market attends. For us, that includes fantasy conventions, Scottish, Irish, and Celtic festivals, indie publishing events, New Age festivals, Renaissance fairs, and related events. We also host book signings at various venues. We have also been approaching getting reviewed in various trade and genre publications.

We have also had to invest in kits for both indoor and outdoor events, which include banners, signs, tables, table cloths, a tent, point-of-sale equipment, and accessories. We also have to maintain a significant stock for these events.

There are other marketing ventures we are looking into or that I did not mention, but those were the basics.

Cheers!

Christopher Dunbar