The Boy Next Door (Boy, #1) The Boy Next Door discussion

This Book Sucks, Sucks, Sucks

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yanmei (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yanmei I think this book sucks because it is written in email form. I hate those kind of books. All they ever talk about is their feelings and not the events of what happen.

Jenica What? really? I thought that part rocked the way you heard the story from all these different perspectives...

message 3: by Jenni (new) - added it

Jenni I actually enjoy this new form of reading a book. While I love a normal format, hearing inside their heads... it is fun to see what they decide to tell people, and what other people say behind her back. I do wish the emails were dated, as time passing is not very well communicated.

Hannah I think the book is still enjoyable but yeah, it would be better if it's written in the normal way. Some things just can't be told in emails.

Jenica I believe that is exactly where the beauty of this book lies. In the fact that have this peep hole of a perspective and yet everything makes sense despite our limited view.

message 6: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ While I admit I was first put off by the format it is written in, you have to give it a chance. I'm actually really starting to like it......it's one of those books you get to puzzle out who everyone is, because it's not just given to us. It's basically show, not tell, and it's actually quite refreshing once you get used to it. I'm only part of the way through it though, so I have yet to decide if it can pull off a satisfying conclusion.

SakuraTenshi i liked this book and how it was from a few different perspectives but the emailing thing got a bit annoying after a while

Neriley D Orville Its different and I was entertained, I love Meg's style.
the boy series are all like that.

Sendy Felicita I read this book a long time ago. I kinda like it because I remember I couldn't stop reading it and I was entertained.

Daniela Jenni wrote: "I actually enjoy this new form of reading a book. While I love a normal format, hearing inside their heads... it is fun to see what they decide to tell people, and what other people say behind her ..."

I think you are totally corret it fun to read in email form but I also like normal format.

Tiffany I just read this book and ended up feeling pretty neutral. It was a cute story and it made me laugh...I think I was put off because of how outdated the story was...the gossip they were referencing...the overuse of emails and mentioning dial-up connections. Technology is so overt in our lives now, the use of email at that rate for communication almost seems antiquated. Plus, you can't get away with that at work anymore :)

message 12: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate I liked this book.

I thought it was a really unique way to write a book entirely without any real dialogue or input from the characters - it was all just emails, journal entries (like when she wrote on the menu at the restaurant), phone messages.

It's the first (and only) book I've ever read like that.

message 13: by Nat (last edited Jul 04, 2011 06:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nat this is one of my favorite books, and i think i've re-read it for 3 times, at least, now.. and the best part for me is because its uniquely written as emails (most of it)

Sendy Felicita Mediatrix wrote: "this is one of my favorite books, and i think i've re-read it for 3 times, at least, now.. and the best part for me is because its uniquely written as emails (most of it)"

i agree!

message 15: by Alejandra (new) - added it

Alejandra I actually love this book u liked the way it was set. I also I thought that in some parts it was funny

Alli Cat of Night I really love this book! I think the Email Format is somthing different and it really worked out well.

message 17: by Ruth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ruth Belano I thought this book was cute! Seeing as how Meg can make a story out of e-mails, IM messages and memos still sort of amazes me. Although it's kinda awkward reading intimate parts through messaging..

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 11, 2011 03:20AM) (new)

I started reading the first couple of pages which were emails thinking "This is just the beginning it will go normal written in either 1st, 2nd or 3rd person". But it didn't and I found that irritating. After I read the Mediator Series I was expecting this to be a good book (the heading Boy Next Door should be clear enough. Cute guy next door and stuff like that) but I was disappointed.

Kitty

Tijana SquarePants I liked it.. All that giving up of yours is just a proof that people give up very easily, when they run into something that is new for them.. =)

message 20: by Gi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gi I loved the Boy Collection. My favorite one was Every Boy´s Got One.

Prerna i love the boy collection mostly because it is in email form! other than that there is nothing different about it!

Maria Fe Cruz I love the book so much :)

message 23: by Jana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jana Hurst I love books written in email!! Since I'm a big texter and emailer! Its written in my language!

message 24: by Ruwini (last edited May 20, 2012 05:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruwini Abeysinghe i think the email format is ccccoooollllll. i dnt knw how meg's doing new things to her every single book.

message 25: by Katy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy Love the email form!!

Make sure to read the other Boy novels as well! They are great chick-lit and a mental break if you need one :)

SassyPsycho I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!

IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!

MEG IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

If you think this book is bad just because it is written in e-mail format, then I feel really bad for you. This book is strangely written, I will agree, however, it is still a good storyline with believable characters, and yes, romance. Just because a book is written weird is no reason to hate it. Take a risk and expose yourself to some culture! I loved this book! I loved everything about it! Don't judge a book based on its format, allow yourself to see past it and into the way that the character is feeling, you may discover that you actually like some things...

Lesley I just read this a few weeks ago when I borrowed it from the library (it fit a challenge that I'm working on).

When I first started reading it, I thought that the beginning emails were just how the book was starting, and then when I kept going, I was surprised that the email format kept going too. It was a bit awkward at first, only because I personally don't change the email's subject with every email conversation that I have, so it took some adjustment on my part to not skip over that part of each email.

With that being said, I got over the awkwardness really quickly as I got into the story and I loved the book. I laughed out loud so many times throughout the book!!!

I don't think I'd enjoy reading every book I read in email format, but it was a nice change of pace.

message 30: by Jen (new) - rated it 1 star

Jen this book was horrible I couldn't even LAST OVER FUCKING 20 PAGES wheres the characters EMOTIONS? besides these emails? the book would have been terrific if she wouldn't have used these emails throughout the whole entire book it would have been perfect. I guess its my lack of patience because I surely didn't have enough to read emails for over 500 pages I love Meg Cobot I always have shes one of my inspirations
but this book was weak...

message 31: by Jen (new) - rated it 1 star

Jen Yanmei wrote: "I think this book sucks because it is written in email form. I hate those kind of books. All they ever talk about is their feelings and not the events of what happen."

Ugh so right! i couldn't last reading the whole book
I was looking forward to read it because the summary is what pulled me in but it was in email format and I lost it! I never gave a bad review before on anything and I would never expect it to be in a million years a Meg Cobot book! I wanted emotion and more feel from these characters besides this email crap
I was truly disappointed

message 32: by Maro (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maro Avorque How it was written does not dictate its overall quality. It's something the audience can relate to, since they too in their everyday lives, send emails. Therefore lacking comprehension of the book just because you haven't seen anything like it...is a very sad thing. I admit it is a style you don't see very often..in fact this is the only book as of yet that I've encountered this, and Its not so bad! But if it's not your cup of tea, then by all means, say goodbye to the book. :>

iReadFluff I loved this book. The e-mail format did not bother me at all. In fact I really related to it. (maybe it's because I work in the corporate world and e-mail is such a huge part of my daily life) I thought Meg Cabot did a great job at having the tone of each e-mail feel different based on who was writing it and her adult romances are always so cute and funny. It is just an upbeat feel-good book and I realy enjoyed it.

Angie I enjoyed this book. I thought the use of e-mail was a creative way to tell the story.

Paula While I love reading any book Meg Cabot writes because she's a genius and I strive to be like her, I give her a lot of praise for taking on a format of writing that isn't the normal convention and actually making it work. Emailing is a new but old form of conversation since text messaging came about or skyping but it's fairly interesting to turn a story out of emails.
I've recently been reading writing done in the form of snail mail letters, when you really look at it while story telling has been told for hundreds of years in books, writing letters and emails can tell a story. Some people choose to write letters to tell a story rather then writing a diary or novel, Anne Frank's Diary is a bunch of letters to her imaginary friend Kitty. While that might be factual compared to Meg Cabot's The Boy Next Door she's just using another convention of story telling, and she's written other books like this as she has two books I think written in email format. With language changing every year writers need to become creative in story telling because the norm may not be the future norm for writing.