Folklore & Fairytales discussion

125 views
What Fairy-Tale or Folk-Tale Do You Wish Was a TV Series?

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Hello! I have noticed that there were many fairy tales and folklores transformed into movies, mainly the ones from Disney, but there's rarely any fairy tales and folktales that were transformed into TV series. The only fairy tales and folktales that were transformed into TV series that I can think of are the ones from Disney, which included Aladdin, The Little Mermaid and Hercules (I didn't include The Legend of Tarzan and Timon and Pumbaa because Tarzan was based off a novel and I wasn't sure about The Lion King). Also, there were a couple of TV shows that includes all types of fairy tales into one show such as HBO Family's "Happily Ever After" and PBS "Long Ago and Far Away," however I was wondering if there were any other folktales that had their own TV series and was not apart of a variety fairy tale show like "Long Ago and Far Away." I guess the reason why there hasn't been many fairy tale TV shows is because they are too short and it might have been difficult to create so many stories for one folktale or fairytale. But, if there was a chance for a folktale or fairy tale to have their own television series, which fairy tales and folklores do you think should have its own TV series? If there are folklore and fairy tales that you don't think should have a TV series or if the idea of a fairy tale being a TV series might not work well, tell us why.

Here's my list of fairy tales and folklore that I think should have its own TV series:

The Fool and the Flying Ship
Beauty and the Beast (Disney planned it, but it got cancelled)
The Six Servants
Pinocchio
The Goose Girl


message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Well there was a Beauty and the Beast series, not based on the Disney movie, more of an Urban Fantasy. It was one for several seasons. There was also Shelley Duval's Faerie Tale Theatre, which did several tales. Jim Henson's Storyteller series also existed.

I would like to see a series of "The White Cat" or "The Green Serpent".


message 3: by Manybooks (last edited Sep 06, 2010 07:31AM) (new)

Manybooks | 65 comments The former GDR (East Germany, German Democratic Republic) made a whole series of really magical full-length fairy tale films in a co-production with then Czechoslovakia in the 1970s and early 80s. My favourite is "Drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel" (Three Hazelnuts for Cinderella) which is based both on the Brothers Grimm version and a Czech version by Bozena Nemcova.

Unfortunately, while most of these films continue to be readily available in Germany and are often shown on German television, especially around Christmas time, they have never been dubbed into English, so are not available in English translation (or on a DVD which can be viewed in North America unless one has a region free DVD machine). Too bad, as many of these films are truly wonderful, an engaging, entertaining and magical combination of historical and fairy tale images and story lines.


message 4: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) I'd watch a 'Fool of the world' series.
Most Folk/Fairy tales would make good movies, but I'm not sure how many would work as a series.


message 5: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 65 comments Travis wrote: "I'd watch a 'Fool of the world' series.
Most Folk/Fairy tales would make good movies, but I'm not sure how many would work as a series."


I'm wondering about that as well, simply because most fairy tales are not long enough for a series. A longer fairy tale might work as a two or three part mini-series, but a longer series would be difficult. A series that would feature a different fairy tale each time might work, though.


message 6: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) While not a series, the TV mini-series The Tenth Kingdom was the ultimate fairy tale feast with wonderful European (and NY City) locations and almost all of the most familiar tales incorporated into the character roster. Mmmmmm- Wolfie! I often wished that fairy tale world could have been expanded into a continuing series- there were so many possibilities. Probably far too expensive to produce and keep the same level of quality, however.


message 7: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Sandra wrote: "While not a series, the TV mini-series The Tenth Kingdom was the ultimate fairy tale feast with wonderful European (and NY City) locations and almost all of the most familiar tales incorporated int..."

I loved the 10th Kingdom!!! I used to watch that series so much when it came out!! I loved the way that they would split up each part of the story throughout the whole week making the series more interesting!! It would have been interesting if they actually made a TV series out of the 10th Kingdom, but then it might have been difficult to keep the same actors in the story.


message 8: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Gundula wrote: "Travis wrote: "I'd watch a 'Fool of the world' series.
Most Folk/Fairy tales would make good movies, but I'm not sure how many would work as a series."

I'm wondering about that as well, simply bec..."


Yeah, I agree that some fairy tales and folklore might not be able to make it as a series because of how short they are and it might have been impossible to make up different stories for one fairy tale, unless they made stories that took place before the "happily ever after" segment took place such as in the Disney tv series of The Little Mermaid and Aladdin as the events in those series took place before either Ariel and Aladdin got married to their true loves. I also agree with you about some of the fairy tale series like Happily Ever After and Long Ago and Far Away have featured a different fairy tale in each episode being effective as a series as well.


message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Not so much a tv series, but there is a movie in the works called Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters.


message 10: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) Really? I would watch a TV series like that.
I love the idea of turning fairy tale characters being turned into super heroes. Red Riding Hood as a pulp style hero or Beauty and the Beast prowling the rooftops of Gotham etc.


message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) The Sci-Fi (sorry, SyFy) channel has a series of fairy tale based movies in teh works. The RRH one hasn't been shown, but she is suppose to be along the lines of a wolf hunting hero.


message 12: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Okay I have to admit that does sound intriguing.


message 13: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Chris wrote: "The Sci-Fi (sorry, SyFy) channel has a series of fairy tale based movies in teh works. The RRH one hasn't been shown, but she is suppose to be along the lines of a wolf hunting hero."

That does sound interesting Chris! I'll have to check it out!!


message 14: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Travis wrote: "I'd watch a 'Fool of the world' series.
Most Folk/Fairy tales would make good movies, but I'm not sure how many would work as a series."


I agree with you Travis that there should be a Fool and the Flying Ship series!! It really was a great book to read and better as a TV series!


message 15: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Loved the old Muppet studio thing with John Hurt, The Story Teller. Got it on DVD a while ago, still great stuff.


message 16: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Old-Barbarossa wrote: "Loved the old Muppet studio thing with John Hurt, The Story Teller. Got it on DVD a while ago, still great stuff."

Hmm... I don't think I have heard of that before, but it sounds really interesting!!


message 17: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Well worth finding if you can.
John Hurt sits by a fire with a talking dog and tells old tales, as he tells them the shadows cast by the fire or the painting on the wall comes alive and the film falls into them as the story unfolds in a part live action/part animation/part puppet stylee. The dog acting as a chorus.
I think there are around 12 tales over the 2 seasons.


message 19: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Old-Barbarossa wrote: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4V3CF..."

Thanks Barbarossa!!! I'll check it out! This actually sounds similar to the Rabbit Ears series that I have seen on TV years ago. This series had famous celebrities narrating the stories and I really enjoyed the series!! Here's a brief clip from Pecos Bill, but the scenes are a little out of place since it's sort of like a preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNswbV...


message 20: by Scromlette (new)

Scromlette | 2 comments So far I have seen:

Tin Man - A revision of the wizard of oz.
Red: Warewolf Hunter - a revision of LRR
Alice - Scifi revision of Alice in wonderland

I too am looking for more like this.


message 21: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Scromlette wrote: "So far I have seen:

Tin Man - A revision of the wizard of oz.
Red: Warewolf Hunter - a revision of LRR
Alice - Scifi revision of Alice in wonderland

I too am looking for more like this."


Ooohhh!! I have seen Tin Man and I really enjoyed it! Have you seen the 10th Kingdom before?


message 22: by Scromlette (new)

Scromlette | 2 comments No, But I've heard wonderful things about it. It's actually next on my Netflix Queue, I'm pretty excited about getting it.

Also, is anyone else really excited about "Grim" the new show coming out on NBC?


message 23: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Scromlette wrote: "No, But I've heard wonderful things about it. It's actually next on my Netflix Queue, I'm pretty excited about getting it.

Also, is anyone else really excited about "Grim" the new show coming out ..."


Hmmm...I haven't heard about that show. What is it about?


message 24: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Grimm on NBC looks very strange- fairy tale cop show. There's also another fairy-tale based show on ABC: Once Upon a Time.

http://www.nbc.com/grimm/
http://abc.go.com/shows/once-upon-a-time


message 25: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments That's great news!! Finally, fairy tale shows are coming back on TV!!


message 26: by Parvathy (new)

Parvathy | 15 comments I have seen the cartoon series of Snow White. I would love to see the six swans in the form of a series


message 27: by Freya (new)

Freya (flamecat) I have been watching the odd bit of Grimm, and I really quite like it, to me it seems a little like the Supernatural of fairytales rather than demons :)


message 28: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 4 comments I would love to see any of the fairy tales not yet used as a movie/series/show. I love Grimm & Once Upon A Time & watch all the time. I also loved the 10th kingdom & The Story Teller.


message 29: by Minka (new)

Minka (minkaminkie) | 1 comments Beauty an the beast:)
but if yi=ou really like fairytales and stuff, you should definely watch Once upon a time!!!
its so awesome!!


message 30: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Cuenin (campbugjuice) | 3 comments When researching for my course, I did remember this late 80s Beauty and the Beast series: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092319/

I remember watching it as a child, but I'm going back now. Otherwise, I'd love to see some of the fairy tales that are stricter to the traditional plots.


Yardéna Lucretia (yardenalucretia) Brittany wrote: "When researching for my course, I did remember this late 80s Beauty and the Beast series: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092319/

I remember watching it as a child, but I'm going back now. Otherwise..."


They started a new series of Beauty & the Beast last year based upon the 80's series except a more modern version.


 Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 10 comments I like the idea of a Brothers Grimm series, where each week is a different Brothers Grimm fairy tale. Sort of like Faerie Tale Theater.


 Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 10 comments I was so sad that The Storyteller got cancelled. It truly was excellent.


message 34: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I was so sad that The Storyteller got cancelled. It truly was excellent."

Was the Storyteller that Jim Henson show with all the puppets?


message 35: by Monica (new)

Monica Davis While not a television series, the upcoming movie: Jack the Giant Slayer looks interesting. (Twist on Jack & the Beanstalk.)Here's the trailer: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb...


 Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 10 comments Ronyell wrote: "Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I was so sad that The Storyteller got cancelled. It truly was excellent."

Was the Storyteller that Jim Henson show with all the puppets?"


Yes. It's on Netflix. Really excellent.


 Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 10 comments Monica wrote: "While not a television series, the upcoming movie: Jack the Giant Slayer looks interesting. (Twist on Jack & the Beanstalk.)Here's the trailer: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb......"

It does look good.


message 38: by Rose (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) East of the Sun and West of the Moon


message 39: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Rose wrote: "East of the Sun and West of the Moon"

I would like to see this happen too! I really enjoyed the story itself!


message 40: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Monica wrote: "While not a television series, the upcoming movie: Jack the Giant Slayer looks interesting. (Twist on Jack & the Beanstalk.)Here's the trailer: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/..."

Have you seen Jack the Giant Slayer yet? I've been hearing some mixed reviews about the movie.


message 41: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Shipley (danielleeshipley) | 9 comments "The Twelve Dancing Princesses" could make a good series. Plenty of characters with story lines to develop (the family dynamic could go anywhere!), plus there's the world-hopping element, what with wherever they go to dance all night. Loads of potential!


message 42: by Rose (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) Ronyell wrote: "Rose wrote: "East of the Sun and West of the Moon"

I would like to see this happen too! I really enjoyed the story itself!"


So did I.


message 43: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 65 comments What I would consider cool would be a television series based on international variants of common folklore themes (Cinderella type tales, Beauty and the Beast type tales, Sibling Rivalry type tales and so on). It would be interesting to watch these and compare/contrast them.


message 44: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Danielle wrote: ""The Twelve Dancing Princesses" could make a good series. Plenty of characters with story lines to develop (the family dynamic could go anywhere!), plus there's the world-hopping element, what with..."

Oh yeah! It would be interesting to see a TV series that focuses on each different princess and have storylines revolve around them!


message 45: by Jeri (new)

Jeri Studebaker | 8 comments I'd like to see The Twelve Huntsmen turned into a TV series. It's a Brothers Grimm tale about a princess who disguises herself and eleven other women as huntsmen, and hires the group out to the prince she is trying to woo. After watching her display her intelligence, creativity and courage, the prince falls for and marries her.


message 46: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Jeri wrote: "I'd like to see The Twelve Huntsmen turned into a TV series. It's a Brothers Grimm tale about a princess who disguises herself and eleven other women as huntsmen, and hires the group out to the pr..."

Oh yeah! I really enjoyed that story! It would make a great series for a group of strong female protagonists!


message 47: by Jeri (new)

Jeri Studebaker | 8 comments Kind of like Robin Hood and his merry men, only Robin Hood is a woman with her band of merry women. Robin's gang hid in the forest, our heroine's gang hide out in their men's clothing. You could do 3-4 seasons before the princess finally gets together with the prince. And after that, you'd have the other eleven women to hook up with significant others.


message 48: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Shipley (danielleeshipley) | 9 comments Jeri wrote: "Kind of like Robin Hood and his merry men, only Robin Hood is a woman with her band of merry women. Robin's gang hid in the forest, our heroine's gang hide out in their men's clothing. You could ..."

I'd totally give that show a try. Robin Hood's my favorite, so let's see what The Twelve Huntsmen can do!


message 49: by Jeri (new)

Jeri Studebaker | 8 comments Thanks for your support, Danielle! Now all we need is to get a TV producer to go for the idea. ;-)


back to top