BFYA Salem discussion

Hunger Games Movie

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Poesy (new)

Poesy (poesymadigan) In case you haven't been trawling the web for news of Collins' books being put on the big screen, here's the info:

Scholastic sold the rights to all three Hunger Games books to be made into movies. Suzanne Collins herself has written the screenplay for Hunger Games, so it shouldn't disappoint fans of the book too badly.

As of yet, no director has been attached to the film, but its filming start date has been slated as January 2011. Four months to go.

Also, no casting has been announced except for early rumors that had Kristen Stewart (Twilight anyone?) was cast as Katniss. However, that has since been amended to Chloe Moretz in the lead role.

No planning ahead has been announced for Catching Fire and Mockingjay, leading me to believe they are going to wait and see how Hunger Games does in the theaters. After all, Philip Pullman's popular series starting with The Golden Compass sold spectacularly around the world, but the movie, filled with A-list stars, tanked.

Those who are attached to the project have admitted that the studio is firmly sticking to a PG-13 rating, despite the violence in the book. After all, if the readers who made the book popular can't get in to see the movie, what's the point?

message 2: by Karma (new)

Karma | 94 comments They would NEVER Cast K stew as Katniss D: That would be satanic!
I'm on the fence about whether or not I would enjoy this book on the big screen. I am DEFINITELY psyched for it, but in the same way I'm psyched for ever HP movie, which always disappoints. If that makes sense <_<
D: This movie would be SO awesome as an R though D:! Though I definitely understand why it makes sense to have it PG13.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie | 41 comments Maybe they'll release an R version on DVD. Director's extended cut and all that.

message 4: by Stevie (new)

Stevie Oberg (sgtoctopus) That's awesome! And I am so glad that Kristen Stewart isn't going to be in it (that would have totally ruined it for me). Though I'm keeping my expectations as low as I can, because book based movies always disappoint me. =/

And I definitely agree with Katie, there needs to be an R related version released to DVD. ^_^

message 5: by Poesy (new)

Poesy (poesymadigan) Entertainment Weekly has an interesting article about how Hunger Games is going to be difficult release into theaters because the violence will rate it R instead of PG-13:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2010/10/18/t...

How each rating is attached to a movie is also interesting. Check out the "official" rating website:

http://www.mpaa.org/ratings/what-each...

message 6: by Jacer3000, Xepher Lord (new)

Jacer3000 | 124 comments Mod
............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\

message 7: by Jacer3000, Xepher Lord (new)

Jacer3000 | 124 comments Mod
Picard face-palm FTW!