Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Still Alice book description

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marilu (new)

Marilu | 65 comments I am wondering about the description of the book. It reads more like a review. I am 99% positive that this is not the description I read last year before reading the book, and it definitely is not what is on the back cover. Where would this have come from? And....should it be changed?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21...

message 2: by Marilu (new)

Marilu | 65 comments I think this is the description on the book cover

Still Alice is a compelling debut novel about a 50-year-old woman's sudden descent into early onset Alzheimer's disease, written by first-time author Lisa Genova, who holds a Ph. D in neuroscience from Harvard University.
Alice Howland, happily married with three grown children and a house on the Cape, is a celebrated Harvard professor at the height of her career when she notices a forgetfulness creeping into her life. As confusion starts to cloud her thinking and her memory begins to fail her, she receives a devastating diagnosis: early onset Alzheimer's disease. Fiercely independent, Alice struggles to maintain her lifestyle and live in the moment, even as her sense of self is being stripped away.

message 3: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Looks like librarians have been actively editing the description.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/edits/2...

message 4: by Marilu (last edited Sep 05, 2010 09:39PM) (new)

Marilu | 65 comments I guess I just don't like the description that is there, as it is more of a review.
OH WOW, I just checked the other editions. It appears that all (or at least most as I may not have gotten to all of them) have different descriptions!!

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22747 comments Editions having different descriptions is OK. It actually makes it more interesting.

But I agree descriptions that read like reviews are bad.