One Million Pages Per Lifetime discussion

Archive 1.0 - VR, BR, & MBOM > Chosen BuddyRead

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Another BuddyRead!!!

Elyssa and I are deciding to switch back to the House of Night series, so our next BR will be:

Chosen (House of Night, #3) by P.C. Cast Chosen by P.C. & Kristin Cast

Starts on Sept. 15th! Post your name below to let us know that you will be participating with us!

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Elyssa and I are, obviously, participating :).

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments ill probably participate in this one if i can get my hands on the book

message 4: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Alright! Hope to see you in a few days! :D

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

We are starting soon!!!

I am excited! This one we are both going ebook!

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Alright so I'm not commiting on this one since I can't seem to keep up with all you super-readers, lol. But I'll try to stop in every once in a while.

message 7: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) LOL! Nahh, you're just wayy busier than we are. :). And I haven't even started yet. But I think I will start soon, because I don't want to be behind. Kate, yuo don't happen to have a paperback copy of Chosen do you? We need someone to make assignments, but neither of us have it... Unless Elyssa has it now, and hasn't been able to tell me.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Well I'm sure we're all really busy. And if you all aren't as busy it's only becuase I'm in my junior year, which is the busiest most stressful year of an already stressful high school.

I actually do have a paperback copy in my possesion! The only thing is if I make the assignments they'll be signifigantly shorter than yours and Lyss's. Unless of course you'd like me to make them longer but with school and stuff I feel like we should make them shorter. Let me know what you want me to do Z!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Kate that is awesome! I'm all for some shorter assignments. We can do a chapter a day if you'd like. It is nice to talk about the book as we go. If it is easier for you let's do the smaller assignments. I know what you mean about school being crazy! I'm very tired everyday!

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments That's great Lyssa, hope you don't mind the shortened name I'm trying to give everyone I know a nickname. I have to say that you and Z are like super-readers! Which is of course great but sometimes hard to keep up with you both, especially since it is my junoir year and all. So it will be a lot easier for me to keep up with the 1 chapter a day assignments.

You're in school too Lyssa? When did you start? Is it at least shorter than a normal school day, like I mean elementary-High school 7-8 hour days? Okay I think you have enough to answer. Let me know about when you all want to start reading! :)

message 11: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Kate, we can start whenever you're ready! You can post the first assignment today, or tomorrow if you want. Doesn't matter to me; whenever you ready :). Yes, shorter assn's will be easier to keep up w/, esp. when I think about all I have to do.. *whew*

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments im ready to read too! just got the book today

message 13: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Awesome! We're glad to have you reading along with us! :D

message 14: by Kate (last edited Sep 19, 2010 02:35PM) (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Okay sorry for not getting back yesterday. I know this is late so I'm going to make the 1 assighnment to read the 1st chapter for either tomorrow, for those of you who get to see this, and for those who may not until tomorrow for Tues. I'll try to get some group questions for chapter 1 up tomorrow and at the latest Tues. Happy Reading everyone! :)

message 15: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) So we read chapter 1 today? I'm lost..

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Yes, I just wasn't sure if everyone would get on to see it today so I thought it could be more of a 2 day assighnment. Does that make more sense?

message 17: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Oh yeah! I get it now, thanks. And that's perfectly fine. We need to make sure that they're paying attention before we start posting stuff back to back. :) Good idea.

message 18: by Kate (last edited Sep 20, 2010 01:53PM) (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Yeah that's why I thought having 2 days would be better than having it ready for tomorrow. I was wondering, should we have every assignment due every 2 days? As in give people 2 days to read instead of 1? I don't remember how long the chapters are and I know people are busy so what does everyone think?

Okay I'll be back on soon but my mom's going to steal her computer away from me.

message 19: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Haha, well, I thinkt hat we should post new assn's every two days. (Give people 2 days to read instead of 1.) That way they don't feel rushed. :)

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments That's what I was thinking too. I think it'd be better for the assignments to be due every two days. It would give people more time. So should we agree that there are two days before the questions? I'll still try to post the assignments evey other day.

message 21: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Okay, here's an example of how I think we should do things. You say Yes, or No, according to if you think we should do it this way. K?

*Dates are just ex's.*

Sept. 1 - First assignment (Chpt 1)
Sept. 3 - Second assn (Chpt 2); Discussion Questions for chpt 1
Sept. 5 - Third assignment (Chpt 3); Discussion Questions for chpt 2

What do you think? Make sense?

message 22: by Kate (last edited Sep 20, 2010 02:18PM) (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments I like it Z! I think that will work really well for it. Do you think that we should put the whole scheduele up right away and then have some reminders as we go? If you think the whole scheduele is a good idea I'll try to get them all up today. :)

message 23: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Uhm, yeah, you can should the entire sched up. I think that will help us keep track, and not get off :).

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Alright I'll get it up sometime tonight. =)

message 25: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Okay. I can always help whenever you need me to, so don't be afraid to ask! Are you going to post the 1st assn tomorrow?

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Sorry about not posting the assignments. My brother had a paper to write so he still currently has it, I'm on my itouch. I'll post them tomorrw.

Thanks for the help Z! I'll let you know if I need anything. I think that tomorrow will be the finally official " read the first chapter" and then Thurs. Will be the discussion.

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments It being the computer by the way. We still need to get our other one fixed.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, yup, you can call me that or most people call me Lyss. I will be able to discuss some stuff tomorrow.

Looks like I'm not too behind. But I did start reading. except, I forgot to charge my Nook. I know! My bad! LOL!

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments How do you like your Nook Lyss? I really love reading with the pages between my fingers but my mom's been trying to make me get a Nook.

message 30: by Kate (last edited Sep 21, 2010 02:10PM) (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Alright everyone who will be reading Chosen with us today is the official starting date. I'll leave the whole schedule today and I'll be leaving reminders for our "due dates". Z and I discussed having the assignments every two days to give people more time to read before discussing. I’ll be leaving a schedule below this and I’ll be posting reminders. We will be doing things a little differently this time. Instead of having a to read a certain amount in one day and discussing the next day we will be giving two days to read and then discussing on the second day, or if I get the questions up the day before you’re welcome to start answering them. Now I know this is a little confusing already and it’s about to get a little more confusing, and if you’re still confused after this please check below at the schedule, which probably makes a lot more sense than this. I’ve decided two things from making the schedule. First is that I realize that the chapters are all pretty short and if we do one chapter every two days we will not be done until November so I decided to have two chapters every two days. The next thing is that on Fri. there will be a reading assignment and I since it’s the weekend I’ll be making Sat. another two chapters. Basically what this means is on the weekends, starting Fri. there will be four chapters read. Okay if all of this still doesn’t make sense check out the schedule and if you still have any questions, comments, or concerns please leave a comment and someone will get back to you as soon as possible. Alright everyone start your reading engines!
Sept 21st (aka. today)-Read chapter one pages 1-11 and be ready to discuss tomorrow. I'll post questions today or tomorrow.

Sept 22nd Wed. - Read Chapter Two pages 13-21 and Three pages 23-36 for Sept.24th

Sept. 24th Fri. -Read Chapter Four pages 37-48 and Chapter Five pages 49-60 for Sept. 25th

Sept 25th Sat. -Read Chapter Six pages 61-69 and Chapter Seven pages 71-82 for Sept. 27th

Sept 27th Mon. - Read Chapter Eight pages 83-92 and Chapter Nine pages 93-101 for Sept. 29th

Sept. 29th Wed. –Read Chapter Ten pages 103-111 and Chapter Eleven pages 113-143 for Oct. 1st

Oct. 1st Fri. – Read Chapter Twelve pages 121-131 and Chapter Thirteen pages 133-143 for Oct.2nd

Oct. 2nd Sat. – Read Chapter Thirteen pages 133-143 and Chapter Fourteen pages 145-152 for Oct. 4th

Oct. 4th Mon. -Read Chapter Fifteen pages 153-165 and Chapter Sixteen pages 167-177 for Oct. 6th

Oct. 6th Wed. – Read Chapter Seventeen pages 179-190 and Chapter Eighteen pages 191-200 Oct. 8th

Oct. 8th Fri. – Read Chapter Nineteen pages 201-208 and Chapter Twenty pages 209-219 for Oct.9th

Oct.9th Sat. –Read Chapter Twenty-one pages 221-231 and Chapter Twenty-two pages 233-243 for Oct. 11th

Oct. 11th Mon. –Read Chapter Twenty-three pages 245-257 and Chapter Twenty-four pages 259-269 for Oct. 13th

Oct. 13th Wed. –Read Chapter Twenty-five pages 271-280 and Chapter Twenty-six pages 281-291 for Oct. 15th

Oct. 15th Fri.- Read Chapter Twenty-seven pages 293-End! For Oct. 16th

Okay so I hope all that made sense. The reading dates come first and the “for whatever date” at the end is the official discussion day but the questions will be there that day or the day before, just depends which day I can think them up.

message 31: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) It makes sense to me! I will ahve to get reading, because I'm still in the early parts of Chpt 1 :).

message 32: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Same here. And I have to get some questions up today. So I better get going as well. I skipped ahead in this book, to skim and see what it was about to remeber, and it's one of my favorites! I don't want to say anything to spoil it but lets just say there's someone I relly love in this book!

message 33: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Alright everyone question time. Unfortunatly I can't even figure out how my own scedule works so I read a little ahead.

Chapter 1:
I know it's early to ask but what is everyone thinking so far?

How you would you feel if your b- day was around the general Christmas area?

Would you tell people what to get you if you had that birthday? Meaning not holiday themed gifts?

Does anyone else miss Stevie Rae?

message 34: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments well even though im only on page 16 i feel pity to zoey cuz of her stepdad and her presents.
i have to say i would hate to have my bday around then cuz then they would just have a christmas party and just give u xmas gifts.
i always tell people a list of general ideas of what i want to get and even if they dont know they still get me stuff that is in my interest of stuff.
i sorta miss stevie rae but not too much since shes just undead

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

So far I'm enjoying it. It is holding my interest.

That would completely suck to have your birthday so close to Christmas. Grr. How irritating! I don't know if I would tell people what I wanted but I would most def pass them a handy list of hints! :)

I so miss Stevie Rae. And I can tell so do they!

Great Questions!!

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Thanks Lyss. I tried. :)

Uh-oh. Unfortunatly I still don't have my schedule figured out and therefore I'm not ahead but behind. I'm working off my itouch here so I'm not going to put up anymore questions today but I'll try to have some for tomorrow. So tomorrow we'll be discussing chapters 2-3.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

That is ok. I'm totally fine with going at your pace :)

message 38: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I haven't been reading at all! I will have to get on it as soon as I finish The Miesrable Mill.. Going to read it right now... :). Great questions, Kate! I will answer them in the morning.

message 39: by Kate (last edited Sep 24, 2010 06:59PM) (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Thanks ladies. =) And don't worry about it Z. I'm surprised I'm now almost keeping up! I'm going to be late on chapter 3's questions but I thought of a few for chapter 2. So here they are.

1.) Which present, out of all the presents, would you want? Even if they are holiday themed.

2.) Do you think Zoey overreact to the holiday gift theme?

3.) Do you think that Zoey's friends overreacted to finding out that she doesn't like Christmas gifts for her birthday?

More my own rhetorical question but wouldn't you assume that people who's birthdays are around Christmas and New Years don't like holiday themed gifts?

Okay that's all for now. For tomorrow we will be discussing chapters 3-5.

message 40: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Okay for my own answers to Chapter 1

1.) So far I'm really liking the book.

2.)Well my grandma has her birthday the day after New Years day and she always kind of got jiped with her gifts. Meaning she didn't really get seperate present from Christmas and her B-day. Or if she did they weren't really much. I wouldn't really like it to much. I really like holidays and I like where mine is, in the middle of no holidays. It's something to celebrate when there isn't another major events.

3.) At my age I find that people tend to ask what you want so I find lists of things that I would want potentially and my mom emails them. They don't have to get anything on my list, it's more of a guidline type thing. This year I think I'm going to ask for B&N giftcards, though I'm not sure how many people will get it since then you can see how much they spent and your not supposed to know and stuff. So we'll see how that goes. I would really love that though, I'm always needing money for my crazy book addiction. I think that I'm asking my parents for another bookcase this year. Whoo, I'm getting way off topic here.

4.) I totally miss Stevie Rae! Even though she's still techincally around she's just not exactly the same.

Chapter 2:

1.) I would take the casmere scarf, definitly!

2.)No, I would be a little sick of people getting me themed gifts and she did say multiple times that it was the thought that counts. Yes, maybe her thoughts could have been a little nicer but if you got 17 years of holiday gifts I think it would break you down too.

3.)I acutally think they did a little. I know they had a right to be a little upset but I thought that they were a little to accussing and to be angry at her? I just felt that they could have been a little more understanding. Plus, as I put as my rehtorical question, wouldn't you assume that people who's birthdays are around Christmas and New Years don't like holiday themed gifts?

message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments chapter 2 questions:
1. i would love to have the snowglobe because i have never had one before.
2.i didnt think she overreacted, in fact she did the complete opposite and keeping her feelings to herself.
3.they totally did overreact. i mean come on! have they not heard people who have close to holiday bdays complain about that before?

message 42: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Sorry for the delay ladies. I'm only on chapter three, I know what a slacker. Anyway I will read for sure tonight and have some questions up later. I love all the answers to all the questions by the way!

The other part of this post was just to let everyone know, and sort of keep on track, that based on the sechedule tomorrow is a discussion day for chapters 8&9. So I know that I'm really behind but that's about where we should be.

message 43: by Zakiya (last edited Sep 28, 2010 03:42PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I'm only on Chapter Five, so I'm still behind as well. I will answer the first sets of questions, though:

Chapter 1:
I reallyyy miss Stevie Rae! I hate that she's undead :((. I would seriously tell people, though, that I don't like Christmas-themed gifts for my birthday. It would really irk me after a while; I fel super-bad for Zo. If my bday was around the general Xmas area, I would eventually get used to the fact that my birthday gifts were gonnabe celebrating snowmen, red/green, and snowflakes.

Chapter 2:
1.) Out of all of the presents, I liked Heath's gift and the Twins gift the best :).

2.) Zoey definitely overreacted to the holiday-themed gifts. I mean, at least they got her stuff that she could use, right? And besides, she should really be used to stuff like that by now.

3.) They really did overreact to finding out that Zo doesn't like Xmas gifts for her bday. She just didn't want them to feel bad, if she was to say she didn't like it when she got them. And she told Stevie Rae before she became undead. And no doubt about it, Stevie Rae would have told all of them not to get anything Xmas-related, if she had been alive. They just need to chill out a little.. :// .

I will try to get some questions together for Chapters 3, 4, & 5, so that Kate doesn't have to be doing all of the work :).

message 44: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Great answers Z! That would be great help! I realize now that there won't be any questions until tomorrow. I have to read the whole Crucible by tomorrow and I'm a slow reader it takes me almost 2 times longer than most people, well maybe not 2 times as long but you get the point. Anyway it's taking me longer than expected and I will read some of Chosen tonight just not get the questions up. By the way I'm loving the Crucible! @ our school we have to buy all of our books and for my advanced english we had to get a 4,000 page tissue paper antholoy and about 10 plays/ novels. Anyway the Crucible was one of them abs I will be keeping it. I think I need to work on shortening my explonations well, and my posts too! LOL =)

message 45: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Haha, nahh, I like long posts. They tell a lot of info in such a short time :). I've heard that Crucible was really good. Don't worry about not having any questions for today, I have to get some schoolwork out of the way as well. Thanks (about the answers)!

- Z

message 46: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Okay everyone I know that I was supposed to be in charge of this buddy read but we were having some, not computer problems but the connection wire stuff that has most of the neighborhood's connection...well something happened to it. So that's why I haven't been on in a really long time, that and it was homecoming week last week so the whole 7 day week was really busy. So what all that explination was leading up to was that I haven't read much of Chosen but I do have tomorrow off of school so I'll try to get some disscussion questions up for some chapters. I think we're on chapter 3 so I'll post some for at least that chapter, but hopefully more.

Lol, I just realized that we should technically be finishing the whole book on Sat. Maybe I shouldn't be laughing about that. *guiltily shrugs*

message 47: by Kate (last edited Oct 16, 2010 07:37PM) (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Sorry ladies, I didn't forget about our questions I just forgot that I had a riding clinic to go to yesterday and today. I had to leave at about 5:30 AM and didn't get back until about 7:30 PM and I was just to tired to post anything for yesterday or today but I'll try to get some questions up soon. Just thoguht I'd give the quick update since I'm still really tired and have lots of homework to do.

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 94 comments Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you know that I don't have the time to finish this buddy read. I just have so many other things to do plus books to read, and since I already read this one those kind of come first. If anyone wants to continue this reading please feel free to do so. :) Sorry about me falling though. :(

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Chosen (other topics)