The County Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What Should I Read? > Books by Utah Authors

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Maw (mawbooks) | 8 comments I LOVE to read books by our local Utah authors. We have one of the greatest literary scenes here with an amazing amount of authors putting out some fantastic authors!

I've created a Goodreads list titled "Books by Utah Authors:" http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/68...

I'd love to have you vote on your favorites or add any other titles that are missing.

message 2: by Debbie (last edited Oct 09, 2013 09:03AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 883 comments I was at a convention one time and was talking to an author who was touted as a Utah author. I don't remember his name and I'm not saying this to disparage the above list. It's just a humorous anecdote, so please read it in that vein.

He complained about being labeled a Utah author since he had nothing in common with Utah and had never even lived in Utah. I told him that we, in Utah, are very proud of our authors and will hold dearly to any whom we consider one of our own. For instance, Orson Scott Card, who lives in one of the Carolinas (I forget which one) is considered by those of us in Utah as a Utah author. He went to school at BYU. (He may have spent more time here than that but I don't remember for sure.) The gentleman was startled. I said, "Once a Utah author, always a Utah author." He said that he had come to Utah and stayed in a condo in Park City writing the majority of his book. I told him, "Well, I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but that makes you a Utah author and forever we will love you dearly!"

message 3: by Connie (new)

Connie Drummond | 1 comments I'm not sure if Orson Scott Card was born in Utah or not. But I knew his parents very well. They lived in Orem in our neighborhood for at least 20 years. (We were the ones who moved.) So he was likely born here. And I totally agree w/ you, "once a Utah author, always a Utah author"..."and forever we will love you dearly!" In literature as in sports, there is not a more loyal fan anywhere than in Utah!

message 4: by Marti (new)

Marti | 3 comments Do you edit or otherwise monitor the list? The reason I ask is because, for example, someone posted "Call of the Wild" by Jack London who is not a Utah author. I would love to follow and add to this list but I see the potential for contributors cluttering your list with non-Utah authors and thereby defeating the purpose to the list.

Natasha wrote: "I LOVE to read books by our local Utah authors. We have one of the greatest literary scenes here with an amazing amount of authors putting out some fantastic authors!

I've created a Goodreads li..."

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 883 comments Marti wrote: "Do you edit or otherwise monitor the list? The reason I ask is because, for example, someone posted "Call of the Wild" by Jack London who is not a Utah author. I would love to follow and add to thi..."

Someone also added a book by Joseph Smith. Ummm. He never made it anywhere near this part of the country and certainly never lived here.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.