The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Gilmore Girls Discussions > The Life and Death Brigade

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dottie (last edited Jul 05, 2008 03:17PM) (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments The comments in the movies, movies, movies folder made me think of this and so here it is -- what connections have any of our Gilmore Girls fans made with the Life and Death Brigade -- in relation to other films, arts, or books? What significance does it hold in itself or in regard to Lorelai, Rory and the grandparents and the two worlds in which they circulate?

For myself, the comments in the film thread made me think of Donna Tartt's The Secret History, The Dead Poet's Society, and another book which seemed to echo Tartt's but which title has fled at the moment.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

message 2: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments we were just talking about the Life and Death Brigade in the Code of the Woosters thread too. I think secret societies are sort of a hot topic in popular culture, books and movies.

There are a few Da Vinci Code type books (cheap thrills?) that come to mind, The Rule of Four, The Dante Club, etc. There's a secret society in The Eyre Affair too. I haven't read The Secret History, but it looks really good. I've added it to my TBR stack, thanks for mentioning it.

and for movies, Eyes Wide Shut, The Skulls, and The Good Shepherd, though I'm sure there's more.

Secret societies add another layer of exclusivity, allowing the already privileged to feel even more privileged and superior. On the flip side though, I think they also provide a possibly necessary safe haven for their members to relax in. wouldn't want the rich to get too stressed.

This issue also came up on the GG in the form of The Puffs. I think it's interesting that Rory disdains the Puffs and is more accepting of the L&DB.