Aussie Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Chat about whatever you like: the weather, good stuff, bad stuff, family or pets!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Comments (showing 29387-29436)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 588 589

message 29436: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Brenda | 53152 comments Mod
New chat thread is here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 29435: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Yes shocking Michael! The writing was on the wall, but no good at all:(

message 29434: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 10595 comments This is terrible news for Dick Smith employees. I would say it was inevitable but it does not make it any less hard hitting for the 2'500 odd people effected.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-25...

message 29433: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

OMG!! I'm leaving it alone now!

message 29432: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

And now it's doing it to you too - definitely a GR issue!

message 29431: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

It's just rolling around (the delete button) then it stops with a big ERROR thingy!!! Definitely a GR error!

message 29430: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

It's just rolling around (the delete button) then it stops with a big ERROR thingy!!!

message 29429: by Sally906, Eclectic reader (new)

Sally906 | 5369 comments Mod
Brenda wrote: "Grrr! Sorry about the double post - and it won't let me delete it!!!"

That's odd - won't let me delete it for you either!!!

message 29428: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Grrr! Sorry about the double post - and it won't let me delete it!!!

message 29427: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Mercury is showing 41c outside, while I'm in here having just finished licking the bowl after the making of my "famous" rocky road for our daughter's baby shower on Saturday! I have to cut it small - lots of guests:)

Delicious;)

message 29426: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Sounds like my house too Leonie!

message 29425: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Sounds like my house too Leonie:)

message 29424: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (LeonieRogers) | 2405 comments I use my Kindle touch in bed (and nearly everywhere else too now) because again, my husband doesn't mind the light on the case, but really doesn't like the bedside light.

I'm another who finds reading lulls them to sleep. If I ever have any issues getting to sleep, I read an old favourite :)

message 29423: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Sally906 wrote: "I like the backlit screen because I read at night - hubby doesn't like the bedside light on as he can't sleep so I put my reader into night mode and then dim it. It is perfect - I can read and hubb..."

At the moment I don't have a lit screen, so my phone torch is my light to read by;)

message 29422: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Carolyn wrote: "They used to have tea makers Bette! I think they were combined with an alarm clock.

I'm one who is guilty of reading in bed, just 10-15 min before going to sleep. I think it does help me wind down..."

In bed is where I get the most of my reading done. Probably a couple of hours at night and similar in the morning before I get up:) If I'm ever having trouble sleeping, I read for a bit and can go to sleep easily then:)

message 29421: by Sally906, Eclectic reader (new)

Sally906 | 5369 comments Mod
I like the backlit screen because I read at night - hubby doesn't like the bedside light on as he can't sleep so I put my reader into night mode and then dim it. It is perfect - I can read and hubby can sleep :)

message 29420: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 5347 comments They used to have tea makers Bette! I think they were combined with an alarm clock.

I'm one who is guilty of reading in bed, just 10-15 min before going to sleep. I think it does help me wind down. When I get the chance I love reading in bed on the weekend for half an hour or so in the morning. I get up, feed the cats and go back to bed with a cup of tea. Doesn't happen often as I like to go out early for a walk on Sundays and Saturdays are always busy!

message 29419: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (BtheBookAddict) | 3306 comments Carolyn, next, they'll bring bringing a coffee maker into the bedroom, lol.

At the sleep clinic, I was taught that your bed is a place for sleep and that thing only married people used to do. Otherwise, it does not allow for your brain to wind down. I keep faithful to that and don't read in bed though I know lots of people do (and still sleep quite well).

message 29418: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4392 comments I think I have the first gen of the paperwhite with the backlit...I gotta say when I lost all the lights in a house I was staying at having that was a blessing for reading..So I find it really useful and it doesn't make my eyes tired/sore either.

message 29417: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 10595 comments Oh my that is awesome Carolyn. Like a Lazy Boy for you're bed. :)

message 29416: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Ooh nice! That'd be comfy:)

message 29415: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 5347 comments I want one of these - a pillow chair for reading in bed. How good is that? It's even got a cup holder! Lol!!

photo bed chair_zps1uvsklox.jpeg

http://www.brookstone.com/nap-bed-res...

message 29414: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5628 comments Well, we washed it, and took some snaps of the brown water (no surprise really, although it didn't look THAT dirty)
and now it's had a couple of rinses in Cuddly/Comfort.
Then it will have to go outside where it will be draped over the outdoor furniture to dry.

message 29413: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 4419 comments Marianne wrote: "We have a flokati rug 10 feet by 8 feet. DH decided it needed a wash. We've just taken it out the back to give it a shake, and now we've put it into the spa bath with some wool wash. DH is going to..."
You definitely should Marianne.

message 29412: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 4419 comments Brenda wrote: "B the BookAddict wrote: "Why do they make back-lit kindles then, if that's a problem? Is it just the need to 'update' the current version they make. I don't e-read but was just curious about this:)..."

How different we all are. I can read in a car, have never been on a cruise ship but cannot read on a plane. The noise throws me right off. Usually stick to crosswords or such then.

message 29411: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

LOL!!! Well said Ace;)

message 29410: by Ace (new)

Ace (AceOnRoam) | 798 comments Marianne wrote: "We have a flokati rug 10 feet by 8 feet. DH decided it needed a wash. We've just taken it out the back to give it a shake, and now we've put it into the spa bath with some wool wash. DH is going to..."

Well if nothing else, the rug will feel nice n relaxed after a spa bath!!

message 29409: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5628 comments We have a flokati rug 10 feet by 8 feet. DH decided it needed a wash. We've just taken it out the back to give it a shake, and now we've put it into the spa bath with some wool wash. DH is going to do the grape-stamping thing on it...... maybe I should get out the camera

message 29408: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

marlin1 wrote: "The Kindle Paperwhite/Voyage or newer Kobo's are classified as 'Front lit'. Soooo much nicer to read on than the 'back lit' screens of ipads/tablets etc.
No glare in sunlight, kinder on eyes and yo..."

Thanks Marlin, that's good to know. I'd be like Jools - no idea on front lit/back lit! lol Just so long as it's lit!

message 29407: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

B the BookAddict wrote: "Why do they make back-lit kindles then, if that's a problem? Is it just the need to 'update' the current version they make. I don't e-read but was just curious about this:)

Brenda, what does Richa..."

He generally reads a little, does his crosswords or just watches the passing scenery (the ocean!) But there's no problem reading on the ship - that was my worry before my first, but with the ships' stabilisers, there's barely any motion unless the seas are particularly rough. Easy for me to read anywhere thankfully! But not in the car - motion sickness in a car is bad for me; hence me being the driver in our household:) Planes and ships don't worry me though fortunately!

message 29406: by marlin1 (last edited Feb 23, 2016 02:50PM) (new)

marlin1 | 173 comments ☼♄Jülie wrote: "marlin1 wrote: "The Kindle Paperwhite/Voyage or newer Kobo's are classified as 'Front lit'. Soooo much nicer to read on than the 'back lit' screens of ipads/tablets etc.
No glare in sunlight, kinde..."

I think a lot of people get them confused Julie : )
They are completely different, with my Kobo and I would think Kindles are the same, the light comes from small points at the bottom of the screen which you only notice when you look a certain way at the screen. (Not the normal way of reading!)
I love my Kobo, it goes everywhere with me....

message 29405: by ☼♄Jülie  (last edited Feb 23, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

☼♄Jülie  | 6100 comments marlin1 wrote: "The Kindle Paperwhite/Voyage or newer Kobo's are classified as 'Front lit'. Soooo much nicer to read on than the 'back lit' screens of ipads/tablets etc.
No glare in sunlight, kinder on eyes and yo..."

Oh have I got my back and front lights confused Marlin? :/ I knew it had something to do with enhanced reading, my kindle paperwhite really is lovely to read in any light ;)

message 29404: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 173 comments The Kindle Paperwhite/Voyage or newer Kobo's are classified as 'Front lit'. Soooo much nicer to read on than the 'back lit' screens of ipads/tablets etc.
No glare in sunlight, kinder on eyes and you can adjust the light to suit conditions. I know with my Kobo you can turn the light off completely if you want.

message 29403: by ☼♄Jülie  (last edited Feb 23, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

☼♄Jülie  | 6100 comments @Bette, the backlight on kindle is to enhance reading in any light conditions such as daylight or night light etc. I have a kindle paperwhite which is backlit and it is great to read anywhere, outside glare is not a problem as it is with my ipad or laptop for instance...no issues with glare.
...Or you can read it in the dark without any other light source.

message 29402: by B the BookAddict (last edited Feb 23, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

B the BookAddict (BtheBookAddict) | 3306 comments Why do they make back-lit kindles then, if that's a problem? Is it just the need to 'update' the current version they make. I don't e-read but was just curious about this:)

Brenda, what does Richard do while you have your head stuck in your kindle? Does he read as well? I think I probably couldn't read on a cruise, only if because I spent my last ship travel throwing up. I can't read in the car or on the train nowadays; used to be able to but not now. I think that talent disappeared alongside my ability to cope at any height over six feet i.e. on a ladder.

message 29401: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 10595 comments Phrynne wrote: "I think it is supposed to be bad for your eyes and we watch enough screens with our computers, iPads etc. I think that is the problem but not really sure:)"

That's true Phrynne. Back lit ones are not good for long periods of continuous reading.

message 29400: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 5347 comments Phrynne wrote: "Michael wrote: "You nearly had that happen once Phrynne, so I would say that is a good idea. :)"

My Kindle is now very old, a senior citizen in fact:("

You must be due for a new one Phrynne. Next birthday....?

message 29399: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Oh really?? I thought it'd be better. I'll have to do some serious thinking about it when the time comes:) Thanks!

message 29398: by Phrynne, Busy reader (new)

Phrynne | 7607 comments Mod
I think it is supposed to be bad for your eyes and we watch enough screens with our computers, iPads etc. I think that is the problem but not really sure:)

message 29397: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Hmm..I wondered about a back lit screen next time, and touch screen as well...

message 29396: by Phrynne, Busy reader (new)

Just the basic model. I don't want a back lit screen and I don't use it for anything other than reading books.

message 29395: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Have you thought about what sort though? There are so many different ones to choose from now...

message 29394: by Phrynne, Busy reader (new)

I fully intend to get one..... as soon as this one dies! No point doing it any sooner as the current one does everything I need.

message 29393: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

As is mine... I hope it doesn't die any time soon though. What are your thoughts on a new one Phrynne?

message 29392: by Phrynne, Busy reader (new)

Michael wrote: "You nearly had that happen once Phrynne, so I would say that is a good idea. :)"

My Kindle is now very old, a senior citizen in fact:(

message 29391: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

That's sad Carolyn...very young:(

message 29390: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 5347 comments I saw in the news that Kim Gamble, the wonderful illustrator of the Tashi books has died at 63. My kids both loved those books especially the quirky illustrations of Tashi and all the magical creatures he met.

message 29389: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Yes that's true...that would be awful for the amount I read away on a holiday!

message 29388: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 10595 comments You nearly had that happen once Phrynne, so I would say that is a good idea. :)

message 29387: by Phrynne, Busy reader (new)

I always take a couple of paperbacks in case the worst thing happens and my Kindle dies!!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 588 589
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ferryman (other topics)
It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families (other topics)
It's Perfectly Normal: A Book about Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health (other topics)
Rhymes of Times (other topics)
The War of the Worlds (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Joanne Valiukas (other topics)
Joe Ledbetter (other topics)
Heather Gudenkauf (other topics)
Rosamund Lupton (other topics)
Bob Doerr (other topics)
More...