Akins AP Lang and Comp - Hollis 4 discussion

The Scarlet Letter-First week response

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Johan (new)

Johan Gonzalez | 16 comments So far the book seems like a criticism of Puritan society and values during the time of the colonies. The book has a critical tone of that period. So far we've only heard about the negative things that have happened to Hester Prynne. She slept with another man while she was married and had a daughter out of that, things that weren't acceptable with the Puritans, or God for that fact. Hester is forced to wear the A everyday so that everyone is reminded of that mistake, but more importantly, that she lives with her mistake. The author also elaborates as much as he could on every little detail and because of this the story takes forever to progress.

message 2: by Navidad (new)

Navidad | 3 comments i agree with Johan, the book has a lot more detail then its main story. The townsmen have sentence her to wear an A for adultery. She is to stand and let the people watch her in shame, she has to keep that letter for punishment and live in shame. She has a baby of 3 months that lives this shame with her as well, and she refuses to give the name of the father.

message 3: by Christa (new)

Christa | 12 comments I have the same understanding of both Johan and Navidad, but i think something that is of high importance is that:
Hester had lost contact with her husband around three years earlier, and right as she is being punished in public on a pedistal, her husband arrives in town. No one is aware of his prior relationship to her, and he is asking that she keeps it that way. Is it nothing more than a coincidence that he would arrive to town on that day?

message 4: by Leona (new)

Leona Lopez | 9 comments I agree too with everybody but i just don't understand why Hester chose to stay in Boston and take all those looks, I mean i give her credit but why endure all of that?

message 5: by Frank (new)

Frank Gutierrez | 5 comments Leona wrote: "I agree too with everybody but i just don't understand why Hester chose to stay in Boston and take all those looks, I mean i give her credit but why endure all of that?"
Because even if she leaves, she will still have to live with the mistake she has made, represented by the A on her chest.

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Oxford | 4 comments Frank wrote: "Leona wrote: "I agree too with everybody but i just don't understand why Hester chose to stay in Boston and take all those looks, I mean i give her credit but why endure all of that?"
Because even..."

I partially agree with you, Frank, but in my opinion, she seems to use the punishment as a way to emulate a saint-like figure(not a saint of charity, but as a saint of woman essence), who has endured the humiliation and imprisonment for something she does not view as wrong. She almost seems like she wants to flaunt the A with artistic embroidery to make her seem like a martyr of the society she has decided to live in.

What i don't understand is that her husband decides to use Robert Chillingsworth as his name, and doesn't even act like a husband at all. If it is his "pride" or cowardice making him not her husband, you would think that it wouldn't be such a big deal to cheat on a guy who doesn't even want to be with her, and would rather spend his time with Native Americans, and petition that he doesn't want to be known as her husband. If I was Hester, i would be screaming for a divorce and avoid the whole situation. Anyone care to give their explanation of the husband?

message 7: by Joey (new)

Joey Slavik | 18 comments I have the same question as Leona, why doesnt Hester move out of the town, or colony for that matter and just get rid of her dress that has the red A on it? Sure she would probably have to lie to the new people she meets wherever she would go about why her daughter has no father, but wouldn't it definitly be better than the hell that she is going through living in her town?

message 8: by Sydni (new)

Sydni Davis (sydster182) | 2 comments I don't understand why Chillingworth is so mad at the other lover when he should be expressing anger toward his wife who made such decision to be an adulturer.

message 9: by Leona (new)

Leona Lopez | 9 comments Sydni wrote: "I don't understand why Chillingworth is so mad at the other lover when he should be expressing anger toward his wife who made such decision to be an adulturer."

I understand why he is expressing his anger towards the other lover because it should be expected not to get up another man's wife

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Valdez | 3 comments Sydni wrote: "I don't understand why Chillingworth is so mad at the other lover when he should be expressing anger toward his wife who made such decision to be an adulturer."
i agree that chillingworth should be mad at hester but i also think that he should be at least a little upset with himself too because he left for a couple of years and i think hester was tired of being alone or even possibly doubted that Chilingworth was going to come back. ...But committing adultry was still wrong of Hester.