[asmb] Book Club discussion

Book Chat - Fiction > The Way of Kings [spoilers]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (last edited Sep 05, 2010 02:51PM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) | 703 comments Mod
The Way of Kings

Just a chat about the book, not sure if anyone other than Keith and myself are reading it/plan on reading it though. Beware of spoilers. If you have general questions you can ask them.

So, I'm about 250/1000 pages into the book and I'm finding it's severely lacking. Since I'm terrible at writing why I dislike things (cause I ramble) I'm gonna use a list.

1. The character types are VERY similar to his other characters. I'm finding that I can just insert names from other characters and they'll pretty much be the same people. Hell, just take characters from Elantris and that's who you've got here.

1.5 And Shallan.. her dialog is supposed to be witty and smart, but it's just... not. It's stupid. And her letter displaying her logic was just not a strong argument at all. The logic was crap. If you're going to have a character boast about logic and all, then damn well make a powerful, logical argument.

2. POV changes/pacing is way off. It was just Shellan and Kal at first, but then the intermission chapters and Adolin and that group were introduced.

2.5 The intermission chapters served no purpose. The information you learned about the characters [Shallan's brother is a sadist, Sveth has a master stone, and Ishikk... I dunno] should have been stated when they were introduced/reintroduced into the story. Right now was just stupid. It broke up the flow of the story. And really, they were ONLY there to give character info. They didn't do anything to move the story along.

3. Made up palindromes. WTF? Seriously. Sanderson is on the verge of having far too many made up words in this book and he's making it worse by having a bunch of palindromes.

4. What the hell is the story? A quarter of the way into the book and I'm just reading about characters doing random things. At some point it would be nice to know that this is going somewhere. I figure Shallan, Kal, and a few other mention so far will be the new Radiant Knights, but they need to get moving to that or something.

At this point it really needs to get moving or I'm going to find myself putting this book on hold till a later date.

message 2: by Keith (new)

Keith (oafaye) | 60 comments I really can't speak to any of those points without spoiling the crap out of you...

message 3: by Keith (new)

Keith (oafaye) | 60 comments also, random question: How much do you know about the Adonalsium mythos? Now, if you have no idea what that is, don't Google it or anything, because you will likely spoil the crap out of yourself (unless you finished Mistborn while I wasn't watching)

message 4: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I don't know what it is... I haven't finished Mistborn either. >_< Damnit I need to do that. Why are there so many books to read?!?

Does he reference it in this book?

message 5: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I think I'm still pissed about Kelsier. I just... I'm really sad about that. :(

message 6: by Keith (new)

Keith (oafaye) | 60 comments Well, referenced is not the right word. Without going into too much details, the Adonalsium mythos is what connects all of Brandon's books (except for the Alcatraz series and of course WoT). All the book take place on different world's within the same cosmology.

message 7: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (last edited Sep 09, 2010 10:05AM) (new)

Is that why Lashing is so much like the pulling and pushing in Mistborn? And why there's always such a importance put on minerals and the like?

You know what? I'm just going to pretend Kal is Kelsier reincarnated now. >_>

message 8: by Keith (new)

Keith (oafaye) | 60 comments lolz, no, it's not like that. Explaining it well without spoiling Mistborn (and spoiling the rest of WoK for that matter) is going to be very difficult.

message 9: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I'll just have to finish up this book and then Mistborn then! At that time I expect a full explanation.

message 10: by Keith (new)

Keith (oafaye) | 60 comments mkay