Bloggers Unite™ discussion

Book Bloggers > Do You think your past makes you a better writer?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Youngerman (byoungerman) | 15 comments Brenda Youngerman
I am fairly active on Gather.com and this morning wrote a post in response to challenge that had to do with an embarrassing moment from childhood. When I had finished writing I realized that first I hadn't even thought about that event for over thirty years, and second I am now questioning myself if that one moment sparked a behavior that now keeps me from attending functions with large crowds.

So as I sit and ponder a disturbing event from my youth I put it out to the writing community - do you think that your past makes you a better writer?

I often times say that I am an observer of life because I never felt like I belonged anywhere. That is still the case today. I don't really 'fit' anywhere so it is easier to watch. By watching I get to make up stories - great way to write fiction. That carries over from my past into my present.

How about you?

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) Definitely. The difficult things in my past life shaped who I am today. I am thankful that I kept journals. While writing my first novel, I consulted them and took a dream I recorded practically verbatim from a dream I recorded back in 1991.

I had so many experiences that we have forgotten about - until I write. Then controversial/interesting/hurtful/hysterical things come back to me. Hopefully I can weave them into my story.

Off topic - there are so many social networks. Tell me why you like Gather?

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Youngerman (byoungerman) | 15 comments It is interesting that you brought up journals...my first novel also has my own journal postings in it.

Why gather: well....I find that I have made 'cyber friendships' there and I can get honest feedback on many things. There is also a wide variety of groups - I tend to stick with the 'writing', 'author' groups.

I have not found any other social networks to be that friendly --- which one(s) do you like?