Grand River Prep Reads! discussion

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Conner (new)

Conner | 2 comments Hatchet
1.I thought that Hatchet by Gary Paulsen was a great book. It kept me entertained for the whole time and it kept the pace up and it surprised me with what Brian did or what happened to him. Another thing about the book that I liked was that it was all based off of things that could happen in real life. In the about the author section in the back Gary Paulsen talked about how he tested the things that Brian used to survive. An eaxample is how Brian starts the fire he desperately needs by stiking rocks with the hatchet that his mother gave him. Overall the book was amazing.
2.A. One thing I enjoyed about the plot was how it showed Brian changing and thinking more for himself and working out what to do instead of just giving up. Another thing I liked was how in the end Brian didn't just readjust to society and city life and had to work his way out of some habits and still caught himself doing others.
B. I like the message of never giving up and feeling sorry for yourself. Things could be better sure, but they can always get worse that they are, so be grateful for what you have and keep going.
C. I like how Paulsen kept things a surprise about what Brian finds or what happens to him. An example would be the tornado or the moose.
D. I like Brian because he has at first the attitude that a normal person would have if they found themselves in the middle of the Canadian wilderness. He doesn't have the superhero attitude of knowing exactly what to do in every situation and staying calm through the whole time.
E. I think the ending is okay because it's not anything really new. I do like how Brian doesn't automatically readjust to being home and has to stop doing some things.
3. I would recommend this book to anyone that is a fan of survival stories and people making it through hard times. Why, would I recommend it to these people? I would do this because if you're not into this genre the it can be hared to read. A couple of years ago I tried to read it, but I didn't really care for the genre and I just couldn't finish it or even read past chapter 1.
4.Some questions I have about the book are:
A. Why did his mom decide to give him a hatchet?
B. Who is the guy that his mom was having an affair with and how does hi mom know him?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments Hatchet by Gary Paulsen has to be one of the most eye-opening books I’ve read so far. Through this book, and its unbelievably vivid and realistic imagery, I feel like I’ve survived a plane crash and lived in the wild for months, on my own with nothing but myself and a hatchet. Before reading this book, I thought I knew how lucky I was but I’ve gained a new perspective on the world and really recognized my wealth.
I loved that Paulsen took you into the action almost immediately. By page six you knew something was up and could start making predictions. I decided to let this book surprise me and didn’t even read the inside cover, just dove right in. It made it more real to me. Brian, the main character, didn’t know what would happen next and neither did I. My guess was as good as his and it was fun to see who was right in the end.
I think that by reading the book without knowing how long he’d be in the wild or even that he would crash in the first place brought me closer to this character. Thinking back I don’t remember a real physical description of Brian until near the end of the book, when he realized how much living out in the forest had changed him. Normally, this would bother me. However, his entire thought process was recorded. The way he problem solves, keeps his self under control, learns from his mistakes and plans ahead; it’s all done in steps. You get to know the way this character thinks, sees, reacts, feels and that’s enough to make up for the lack of physical description.
The beginning was the only thing that bothered me. There was too much repetition. I’m sure there was a good reason for it. Probably to show how there was emphasis on certain thoughts and words and how these things were triggers to those thoughts. Or to show his disorientation and how his mind focused on only one thing at a time. But still I was relieved to find that the whole book wasn’t written that way.
The ending felt a little sudden but I guess that’s how it was supposed to feel. Just as unexpected to the reader as it was for Brian. It was a complete ending though. The short epilogue helped wrap things up and left me with just one unanswered question. What happened to the paper in Brian’s pocket?
When Brian awoke after the crash, he took stock of everything he had with him, including a few “odd pieces of paper.” While he was trying to make a fire, he thought that shredded paper would catch the sparks and ignite more easily but he noted that he had no paper. However, twenty-seven pages earlier Paulsen wrote that he had paper. So where was the paper?
Still, this book was fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.