Comfort Reads discussion

Chit Chat - All about Food > Fall Baking and Cooking

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Okay, so it has been cool here for the past few days. I'm getting excited about using my oven again. This weekend I baked chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies, and bagels. Has anyone else done any baking lately? Is anyone getting excited to start cooking and baking again???

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Oh I can't wait. Lemon squares for my hubby, and looking forward to Hot Mulled Cider in the crock pot!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I made a casserole for dinner on Friday. I really miss baking, so I am pretty excited about using the oven again, too! I fell like baking apples -- even though the weather isn't quite cool enough for that yet. :)

Can you give us a recipe for hot mulled cider in the crock pot? That sounds yummy, too, with a sugar cookie, maybe?

message 4: by Laura (last edited Sep 05, 2010 05:39PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Oh sure! Here it is: 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 quarts cider, 1 teaspoon whole allspice, 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves, 2 sticks of cinnamon, orange slices (if desired). (I don't put my spices in anything, I just throw it all in - and I way reduce the recipe. I take 1/4 of what this calls for and it will give several cups of cider if you're making it for a couple of people.)

Put all ingredients in crockpot. If desired, tie whole spices in cheesecloth or put in tea strainer. Cover and set on Low 2 to 8 hours. Serve from crockpot w/ladle.

You can also substitute two fifths of sweet sherry or port wine for cider if you want Hot Spiced Wine.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds really good. Maybe I could use 1/2 port and 1/2 cider, too.

message 6: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (leekat) | 3959 comments Mod
Thanks for the recipe Laura! It sounds yummy.

message 7: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I made cinnamon rolls for the first time and was very happy with how they turned out. You can see them here.
http://vegaloca.blogspot.com/2010/09/...

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee, Those cinnamon rolls look so yummy!!!

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee, when you have some free time (I know you have so much of it, ha ha!), how did you get that great photo of veggies as the background for your blog page?

message 10: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

It's in the template thingy on Blogger. Haha, I'm so technical eh?

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee wrote: "It's in the template thingy on Blogger. Haha, I'm so technical eh?"

How handy! I created a blog page but so far I'm only following others' blogs. I'll have to think up something good if I want to create my own. A weekly recipe challenge?! Hee hee. Perhaps you'll all inspire me.

message 12: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Well I've been thinking it would be fun to do a five ingredient challenge or adding an occasional theme into my weekly challenge or someting along those lines. That might work for you Lisa.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee, The weekly recipe challenge, as is, was my New Year's resolution for this year. Not really as I don't make those, but it's something I've had in mind to do for a long time. I might join in, just very late.

message 14: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Yay!!!! I would LOVE you to join us. I was just saying to Jeannette that it doesn't have to be a fancy recipe. It can be your own creation.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Even I am thinking of setting up a blog! Besides Lee inspiring me, Joy has a great travel blog going, too.

message 16: by Joy (last edited Sep 08, 2010 12:04PM) (new)

Joy | 314 comments Jeannette wrote: "Even I am thinking of setting up a blog! Besides Lee inspiring me, Joy has a great travel blog going, too."

Jeannette, you should do a blog, it's surprisingly easy and I knew nothing about how to start one. If I can do it anyone can! Mine is www.whatsjoyreading.blogspot.com I have a lot of pictures from our trip to Europe so it's become more about that than what I'm reading.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

You have a great blog, Joy! I want to do a travel blog, too. I certainly have enough photos from Europe.

I am co-contributor on a manga blog with my daughter, but I haven't posted there lately. I should.

message 18: by Joy (new)

Joy | 314 comments Thanks Jeannette! If you do start a travel blog be sure and let me know - I'd love to follow you!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Joy! :) I have some great food pictures, too.

message 20: by Manybooks (last edited Sep 17, 2010 11:15AM) (new)

Manybooks I felt like hot mulled wine today, or something similar, but I did not want to drink any alcohol so early in the day. So, instead of wine, I used a mixture of organic black grape juice and organic black currant juice, which I mulled on the stove in a large saucepan (using a cheese cloth filled with mulling spices, like cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, mace, orange pieces, allspice berries, cardamon seeds etc.). It was really delicious, and if I ever have a Christmas party, I am going to make this as a substitute for mulled wine (tastes as good as mulled wine, and no problems with drinking and driving). I did not add any sugar, but some brown sugar could likely be added if you like it sweet.

message 21: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Mmmmmm, it sounds amazing Gundula!

message 22: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lee wrote: "Mmmmmm, it sounds amazing Gundula!"

You should try it, it's wonderful and I would say that it is, in fact, superior to mulled wine, it's much smoother and you generally do not have to add any extra sugar either.

message 23: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I think I will!

message 24: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 286 comments Gundula it does sound yummy and reminds me so of Glühwein(German Mulled Wine) minus the alcohol. Just the smell of the cloves and orange pieces is enough to bring that image up.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

You have to have Glühwein with rum. :) It's still not cold enough here for either drink. Gundula's juice-based recipe sounds good. No one drinks wine, but me, so I can make this for the whole family.

message 26: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Brenda wrote: "Gundula it does sound yummy and reminds me so of Glühwein(German Mulled Wine) minus the alcohol. Just the smell of the cloves and orange pieces is enough to bring that image up."

I was actually inspired by "Glühwein". In Munich at the Christmas market, they would sell "Glühwein" (mulled wine), but they would also sell "Glühwein für Autofahrer" (Glühwein for driverrs) which was basically mulled wine without alcohol (very similar to what I made and quite good).

I know about the rum in the "Glühwein". A famous way to do this is to soak a "Zuckerhut", which is like a triangular dome of sugar, in high potency rum, put it on a wire rack above the mulled, unsweetened wine (that's being gently heated in a saucepan or a fondue pot) and then light the sugar loaf. The sugar loaf is aflame, and as it melts, the sugar drips into the wine mixture, making a delicious, but highly intoxicating drink. You also have to be very careful with lighting the sugar loaf; one time, in Waterloo, we did it at a German Christmas party and almost set the host's curtains on fire. The whole concoction is called "Feuerzangenbowle" (burnt rum and red wine punch) and it is traditional to drink this at Christmas or winter parties, while watching a humorous German black and white film of the same name.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I still have not seen Die Feuerzangenbowle all the way through, even though I enjoyed several Heinz Ruehmann films while I was in Germany. There is also a funny British comedy sketch we watch at New Year's, an old lady and her butler at dinner. I can't remember the name of it, just the punchline.

message 28: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Jeannette wrote: "I still have not seen Die Feuerzangenbowle all the way through, even though I enjoyed several Heinz Ruehmann films while I was in Germany. There is also a funny British comedy sketch we watch at N..."

Oh, yes, Dinner of One, I think it is called. It's so funny that this short British film has become an institution in Germany for New Year's Eve, and in Britain, no one actually remembers this short film at all. You should see "Die Feuerzangenbowle" in its entirety if you get a chance, it is so funny. I love what Heinz Ruehmann says about the punch at the end of the show, and I'm paraphrasing, "Es macht einen herrlichen Kater" (It makes a for a wonderful hangover, and that is definitely the truth, although I would not have called the hangover I had from the punch wonderful).

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

The only time we watched the movie, the sound quality was bad and I had a really hard time understanding the German. If the acoustics are wrong, then I am doomed. It was the same when we visited Neu Schwanstein. One of our guides had a thick accent, inside these huge halls in the castle and I had to have my daughter translating for me. That's no fun with a movie. I hope to get a better copy -- maybe as a Christmas present this year, since we can play it on the computer zone-free.

"Dinner for One" is on Youtube. :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

It's also funny that the movie quote refers to a hangover as a male cat. I hadn't ever heard that one!

message 31: by Manybooks (last edited Sep 17, 2010 03:07PM) (new)

Manybooks Jeannette wrote: "It's also funny that the movie quote refers to a hangover as a male cat. I hadn't ever heard that one!"

I think it's something to do with the image of a male cat yowling or sitting on your head yowling being the same as how one feels the morning after the party. I have a tendency to take language very literally and when I first heard the word "Kater" for a hangover when I was a young child, I actually assumed that my mother was talking about a male cat. By the way, in German, if someone has sore muscles after working out too hard etc., he is said to have a "Muskelkater" (muscle hangover). Idiomatic expressions are really interesting and funny at times.

message 32: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Jeannette wrote: "The only time we watched the movie, the sound quality was bad and I had a really hard time understanding the German. If the acoustics are wrong, then I am doomed. It was the same when we visited ..."

I know, I've had that with French movies as well, but I find any movie with bad sound quality, I have a tendency to not understand, as I am a very word based person (the written word). I often put on the subtitles even for DVD movies that I am watching in English.

message 33: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) Fall Baking & Cooking! I love it! I feel so bad by the end of the summer, but I despise cooking in the heat. My poor family is fed up with quick, cool, fast to make, etc meals that I think they're excited by fall too.

The meals that heat up house start again. The crockpot gets dusted off for soups, stews, ribs, roasts, etc.

A crockpot tip I was given recently:
Put your meat (frozen) and "accessories" in the night before and store in the fridge. Your meat will be thawed by morning (but not spoiled) and your additional stuff won't be spoiled either. All you have to do in the AM before leaving house is place pot in cooker and let it cook for the day.

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan I've got a beef tenderloin that is screaming to be put into the crockpot but I need to find a recipe for it. Do you think I would just cook it like a regular roast??

message 35: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 286 comments I agree cooking in the fall can be such fun. I really need to get out the crockpot and make more with it.

message 36: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Susan wrote: "I've got a beef tenderloin that is screaming to be put into the crockpot but I need to find a recipe for it. Do you think I would just cook it like a regular roast??"

Tenderloin tends to get really tough if you cook it too long. I think you could probably put it in the crockpot, but only on very, very low flame. Basically, though, I think you would have more luck with a surloin tip roast. I did, though, once use some beef tenderloin for boeuf en daube provencale (Provencale beef stew), but the beef was marinated in wine for a few days and then I cooked it in the oven at less than 200 degrees Fahrenheit for more than four hours. If I can remember the recipe, I will post it (but, I lost the cookbook I got this recipe from).

message 37: by Susan (new)

Susan I think I'm going to make it in the oven...hahahahaha
Thank you for letting me know Gundula!! I DO NOT like tough meat at all and I would be very upset if thats what would have happened!!

message 38: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments I love cooking in the crockpot! Just made some delicious split pea soup - yummy and so easy.

Susan, I think that tenderloin is too good a cut of meat for the crockpot - tends to dry out as Gundula mentioned. I have better luck with "cheaper" cuts like flank steak, chuck roast etc. for the slow cooker.

message 39: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

A crockpot is one of the few pieces of kitchen equipment I don't own. I think I want one LOL! It sounds great for making soups and stews.

message 40: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 55 comments I love my crockpot and use it quite a bit in the fall and winter. I just used mine last night to make cauliflower soup!

message 41: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Can you leave it on overnight? I would love to wake up to hot soup.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Lee wrote: "Can you leave it on overnight? I would love to wake up to hot soup."

Maybe on a timer?

message 43: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Cool! They have timers?

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Lee wrote: "Cool! They have timers?"

You can buy a timer that plugs into the outlet and then plug the crock pot into that. We plug our lamps into timers when we go on vacation. Probably best to read the directions on the crock pot, too.

I suppose an expensive, fancy crockpot might have a timer.

message 45: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Then again, it might not be necessary. It's not like I get to sleep a super long time, hehe. If people put ingredients in their crock pots and then go to work all day, that's longer than my average sleep time.

message 46: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lee wrote: "Then again, it might not be necessary. It's not like I get to sleep a super long time, hehe. If people put ingredients in their crock pots and then go to work all day, that's longer than my avera..."

Or, instead of a crock pot, buy yourself a slow cooker, I've been thinking of doing that for a while (but have not gotten around to doing it).

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan Isn't a crock pot and a slow cooker the same thing??

message 48: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Susan, you took the words right out of my mouth. I wonder if there is a difference.

message 49: by Susan (new)

Susan I have a slow roaster, maybe that is what Gundula is talking about!

message 50: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lee wrote: "Susan, you took the words right out of my mouth. I wonder if there is a difference."

I should check that, because with a slow cooker, you could definitely set up your soup or stew the night before and then have it ready in the morning. Now, I want to get one more than ever, I love hot stew.

« previous 1