The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Characters who have unique 'rituals' or habits

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Choco (last edited Sep 05, 2010 07:07AM) (new)

Choco This may be a little odd request, but I hope someone can give me suggestions!

I like books with characters who have their own everyday 'rituals' or habits/hobbies. To explain myself better, I like Margaret in The Thirteenth Tale for her specific way of spending the night with a book and hot chocolate. I like Min in Bet Me for her collection of her shoes and snow globes. These books somehow give me nice and fuzzy feelings. Do you know any books like this?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol The Children's Book she writes stories for her seven children, plus being a children story book writer. This book takes place in the late 1800's to just after WWI.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) I LOVE Bet Me! It's my favorite romance novel :o)

The only book coming to mind is The Pleasure of My Company: A Novel by Steve Martin. Not sure if it's quite what you're looking for, but the main character is kind of OCD. It's a good book though.

message 4: by Petra (new)

Petra I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but the main character in Set This House in Order: A Romance of Souls has multiple personality syndrome and needs ritual and habits in his life to balance the personalities. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it.

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Mattie has a word-of-the-day in A Northern Light. It's a wonderful book, too.

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Oops! I see you've already read that one. Guess I'm not much help!

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments On 'The Closer', one of my favourite t.v. shows, the main character, Chief Brenda Lee Johnson, has a thing for chocolate. It is hysterical when and where she indulges.
I realize you were asking about books, so one of my answers will be... Alex Delaware, created by Jonathan Kellerman, who has a run/walk with his French Bulldog, Spike, daily. After Spike's long life, 'Blanche' arrives. A beautiful, ivory Frenchie, who takes him for a 'stroll'!!!

message 8: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice Hey Suzanne, I totally agree with you about The Closer. I love it. And di you also know that she does not have that accent in real life? I couldn't believe it when I first heard her talk in real life. lol

Sorry about the book characters but right now I can't think of any. Suzanne has already come up with the only one that I could think of and she had to come up with it first or I wouldn't have remembered it. lol

message 9: by Choco (new)

Choco Thanks everyone for your quick responses!

Now I have requested The Children's Book andThe Pleasure of My Company: A Novel.

I put Set This House in Order: A Romance of Souls in my 'to-read' file because it is slightly different from what I'm looking for (it looks very serious and am scared to find his secret in the end) but it looks very interesting!

I looked at the Alex Delaware series. The topic of the first one in the series is something I usually avoid. I might get back to it when I'm not looking for something warm and fuzzy.

More recommendations welcome if you come up with one or come across one!!

message 10: by Choco (new)

Choco Sarah wrote: "I LOVE Bet Me! It's my favorite romance novel :o)i>

Mine too! I read your review of Bet Me just now, and I'm very impressed that you got your boyfriend to read it! And he liked it!? That's great to hear!

message 11: by Choco (last edited Sep 05, 2010 05:04PM) (new)

Choco Jamie wrote: "Oops! I see you've already read that one. Guess I'm not much help!"

Hi Jamie. Thanks for the recommendation. You totally got what I meant by 'rituals' and habits. I LOVED A Northern Light and Mattie and her word-of-the-day.

I'm now reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (I see you have it in your 'to-read' shelf!), and Francie, the main character, has a nice book-reading 'ritual' :)

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Karen wrote: "Hey Suzanne, I totally agree with you about The Closer. I love it. And di you also know that she does not have that accent in real life? I couldn't believe it when I first heard her talk in real li..."

lol!!!Karen

message 13: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10022 comments Mod
I second The Pleasure of My Company. Another book containing a quirky lead character is This Book Will Save Your Life - slightly OCD, undersocialized man ends up in a situation where he HAS to interact with people. He has some strange habits...

message 14: by Jamie (new)

Jamie choco wrote: "Hi Jamie. Thanks for the recommendation. You totally got what I meant by 'rituals' and habits. I LOVED A ..."</i>

I'm really looking forward to [book:A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
, and I've worked it into the challenge I'm currently doing.I'm also interested to see more responses to your question! I love quirky characters, so some of these recommendations seem promising.

message 15: by Choco (new)

Choco Lori wrote: "I second The Pleasure of My Company. Another book containing a quirky lead character is This Book Will Save Your Life - slightly OCD, undersocialized man ends up in a situation where ..."

Hi Lori! I'm getting The Pleasure of My Company: A Novel soon. I've just read the summary of This Book Will Save Your Life and added it to my 'to-read' list. I'm not sure if it's exactly what I'm looking for, but it sure looked interesting. Thanks for the suggestions!

message 16: by Choco (new)

Choco Jamie wrote: "I'm really looking forward to [book:A Tree Grows in Brooklyn|148..."

They do seem promising, don't they? I'm glad to know somebody else's interested too!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I read a novel this summer called Belong to Me, by Maria De Los Santos. One of the minor characters in the book is a teenage girl who performs weird rituals before class to make her feel safe. She has some form of obsessive-compulsive disorder. I'm not sure how comforting those rituals will be to you. I enjoyed the book, though.

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol Patricia wrote: "I read a novel this summer called Belong to Me, by Maria De Los Santos. One of the minor characters in the book is a teenage girl who performs weird rituals before class to make her feel safe. She ..."

The book was a good predictable read. I liked it for light reading.

message 19: by Choco (new)

Choco Patricia wrote: "I read a novel this summer called Belong to Me, by Maria De Los Santos..."

I just looked up Belong to Me. Should I read Love Walked In first or would it make no difference?

message 20: by Choco (new)

Choco Okay. I read The Pleasure of My Company: A Novel yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. At first, I was thinking it's too painful to read about someone who is naive and slightly delusional (I didn't find any of that funny initially), but I loved the ending. Thanks for the recommendation :)

message 21: by Petra (last edited Sep 07, 2010 06:40PM) (new)

Petra choco wrote: "TI put Set This House in Order: A Romance of Souls in my 'to-read' file because it is slightly different from what I'm looking for (it looks very serious and am scared to find his secret in the end) but it looks very interesting!..."

choco, I'm glad you put it on your TBR list. It isn't that serious at all and the character(s) are warm and interesting. Giving all the personalities their time "outside" leads to some interesting and humerous scenarios.

message 22: by Choco (new)

Choco Petra wrote: "choco wrote: "TI put Set This House in Order: A Romance of Souls in my 'to-read' file because it is slightly different from what I'm looking for (it looks very serious and am scared to find his sec..."

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it would be very dark and serious after reading the summary. Now you made it sound even more intriguing!
So I just requested the book :) I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 23: by Petra (new)

Petra The main character does have to face the Demons that caused the personality splits but it's done with warmth and tenderness. I hope you enjoy it. I really did.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Yay I'm so happy that you enjoyed The Pleasure of My Company: A Novel. I had the first initial unsure feelings too, but by the end I was pretty pleased with it :)

message 25: by Lahni (last edited Sep 24, 2010 03:07PM) (new)

Lahni | 290 comments Henry's Sisters is full of "quirky" characters. One sister is OCD and counts to four all the time. Another sister burns her bra and panties after each one night stand and the grandmother thinks she is Amelia Erhart (I know that is spelled wrong - sorry). HOWEVER - I personally found everyone a little too dysfunctional to be believable and it got tiring and ruined the book for me. In fact I hated the book and really would never recommend it to anyone....but the characters did have "quirks."