Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > Hammer Horror

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments I haven't seen very many. You'd think that considering I call myself a horror buff that I'd be schooled on these films as well.

Is there some sort of order I should watch them in? Just curious cause I don't want them to talk about things that have happened in other films. I am currently watching Brides Of Dracula.

If there is no order what are some of your favorites?

message 2: by Will (new)

Will Errickson (wille) Horror of Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Curse of the Werewolf, The Vampire Lovers are, I feel, essentials. Dracula and Frankenstein both have many sequels of varying quality but are (mostly) all worth watching. I don't really think the sequence matters a whole lot--maybe in the Frankenstein series. Frankenstein Created Woman and Vampire Lovers are probably my favorites.

message 3: by Shawn (last edited Sep 07, 2010 11:37AM) (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments The Hammer Frankensteins should be attempted in order. There are some detours and missteps, and one "re-make" that stands outside the series (EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN, my memory tells me) but in a rough, general way they follow the character of Cushing's Dr. Frankenstein as he keeps attempting to do what he does but in different ways and, ultimately, for different reasons. The Hammer Dracula's also have a rough chronology but this gets kind of muddled when they reach the "modern" (70s) films.

VAMPIRE CIRCUS and HANDS OF THE RIPPER are particular faves of mine.

message 4: by Guido (last edited Sep 08, 2010 04:40PM) (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 244 comments I love the way Hammer built the Dracula films upon each other. Each one building Dracula's resurrection upon the way he died in the previous movie. While it is not necessary to watch them in sequence, it adds a nice touch to it.

To me "Horror of Dracula" is still the best of them all, but hey, pick any and you can have a blast.

Among the movies outside of the classic monster caste, there is "The Gorgon," a wonderfully atmospheric Hammer horror film that is all too often overlooked, I feel. Along with "Island of Terror," a movie that has been completely obscured because it is not available on DVD.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments my favorite Hammer movie is "Vampire Circus" bad title but good movie.

message 6: by Will (new)

Will Errickson (wille) Vampire Circus is one of the handful of Hammer movies not available on US DVD, unfortunately.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments it was on my "On Demand" a few months ago.

message 8: by Will (new)

Will Errickson (wille) No kidding! Awesome.

message 9: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments i hadn't seen it in years. it was still as cheesy as i remembered! lol

message 10: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments So since I posted this question I have watched 4 Hammer films.

Brides Of Dracula
The Curse OF The Werewolf
Horror of Dracula
Dracula Price Of Darkness

Horror being my favorite. Peter Cushing, you are so swell!

message 11: by Shawn (last edited Sep 07, 2010 01:49PM) (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments The Curse of the Werewolf is excellent! I think it's the best capturing of the "curse" aspect of werewolves, how life-destroying it is.

message 12: by D4ngerousBeans (new)

D4ngerousBeans | 122 comments Suzanne wrote: "my favorite Hammer movie is "Vampire Circus" bad title but good movie."

Hammer Horror , used to show 1 movie every friday night on ITV 10:30 pm ( the third of only 4 channnels the UK had back in the 70`s/80`s) I remember seeing Vampire circus , and all the others while being looked after by my Gran , who loved her horror movies , probably explains my love of horror movies now , and before that it used to be the old black and white horror double bill ( Frankenstien , werewolf, dracula) on a saturday night BBC2 must have been about 6 or 7 at the time ...those were some good times sure beats the bloody X factor crap I have to watch these days.

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments all the christopher lee/peter cushing dracula movies are great!

message 14: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments Add Vampire Lovers to my list of watched.

message 15: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 177 comments Vampire Circus is awesome -- it's a crime it's not on DVD! My favorite is probably Plague of the Zombies -- really atmospheric and well-acted. They're all pretty well-acted, really, except for the busty ingenues.

message 16: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments Yes, the two Cornwall films (PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES and THE REPTILE) have wonderful atmosphere! Good call!

message 17: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments i forgot about Vampire Lovers! another good one.

message 18: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments I am watching the vampire movies first. I have also finished Dracula Has Risen From The Grave and Taste The Blood Of Dracula.

message 19: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 244 comments And, how do like them?

message 20: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments I do like some of them. I tend to like the ones with Lee and Cushing the most.

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments I love Cushing as van Helsing. I used to pretend I was him as a kid. His character was part of the inspiration behind my vampire hunters series.

message 22: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments hammer house of horror is so so good!

message 23: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 244 comments That was the TV show, right?

message 24: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments was it? i don't know. i thought that was what the production company was called. hey on a different note, my friend got an advanced copy of the new movie "case 39" on dvd. i watched it last night. the verdict-wait for dvd on this one. although it was entertaining with the creepy kid factor,it's not worth the 8 bucks.

message 25: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments Hammer films was the production company. I think they may have packaged them for airing on the BBC as Hammer House of Horror as a framing title. Then there were the two TV series, HAMMER HOUSE OF HORROR and HAMMER HOUSE OF MYSTERY AND SUSPENSE. I've seen all of the former and a few of the latter and there are scattered good episodes (especially "The Two Faces of Evil" about a doppelganger in a yellow rain slicker with one long, dirty fingernail - creepy stuff!)

message 26: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments EEEK one long dirty fingernail. That is nightmare inducing!

message 27: by Steve (last edited Sep 15, 2010 10:04AM) (new)

Steve One lesser known Hammer flick worth checking out is Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter. Also, one movie that looks like a Hammer effort (it has Lee and Cushing), but I don't think is, is Horror Express. Definitely worth checking out.

message 28: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments I need Hammer House Of Horror on dvd. Someone shoulda got that for me for a wedding gift. Awww hell!!

message 29: by mark (last edited Oct 07, 2010 08:10PM) (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 531 comments i recently re-watched Horror of Dracula, Brides of Dracula, Dracula Prince of Darkness, and Dracula Has Risen from the Grave. they were all shown on TCM.

i thought Horror was just as good as ever, and i enjoyed the interesting ways in which the movie differed from the novel.

Brides had an excellent first half. a really striking set-up and some great imagery, particularly of the vampire son chained in his room but then it all became very stupid very quickly, right around the time of the bat attack.

Dracula Prince of Darkness is probably my favorite Hammer vampire film. i love how it starts out as a kind of haunted mansion film and then widens. barbara shelley, i guess sort of a house actress for Hammer....she was excellent.

Dracula Has Risen is pretty good too. the direction by freddie francis as opposed to terence fisher really sets this film apart from the first three. less elegant and 'lyrical' than the fisher films, but the color photography is almost phantasmagoric at times. which makes sense since francis was a noted cinematographer.

as far as other Hammer films go, i really enjoyed the frankenstein series, the cornwall duo, and of course who has seen the absurdity that is Captain Kronos and not loved it? my all-time favorites are The Devil Rides Out and The Gorgon.

message 30: by Lee (last edited Dec 12, 2011 05:21AM) (new)

Lee Cushing Shawn wrote: "Hammer films was the production company. I think they may have packaged them for airing on the BBC as Hammer House of Horror as a framing title. Then there were the two TV series, HAMMER HOUSE OF..."

Actually there were three TV series, Journey To The Unknown being the first.

message 31: by Lee (new)

Lee Cushing Just a bit of trivia - The second film that Hammer ever made, The Mystery Of The Mary Celeste(1935), starred Bela Lugosi.

message 32: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments Journey To The Unknown available currently on Youtube, BTW. I'm sure I'll start one of my enormous, never to be completed reviews (CIRCLE OF FEAR, whither thou..?) of the series.

message 33: by Creature (last edited Dec 12, 2011 11:05PM) (new)

Creature | 34 comments Greetings fellow Hammer Horror Devotees:
I was going to bring up Captain Kronos but you guys beat me to the punch. I really liked it and thought it could have gone on to be a neat series of movies. I do believe they made more than 150 movies so there's plenty to see. Not all were horror movies.
One that comes to mind that I don't think anyone mentioned is "Twins of Evil." Other Horror goodies might include; "The Mummy,"Captain Clegg," "Kiss of the Vampire,"Curse of the Mummy's Tomb," "The Gorgon,"Plague of the Zombies," "Frankenstein Created Woman," "The Mummy's Shroud," "Five Million Years to Earth" (one of the three Professor Quatermass films), "The Devil Rides Out," "Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed," "Scars of Dracula," "Lust For a Vampire," "Countess Dracula," "Hands of the Ripper," "Blood From the Mummy's Tomb," "Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde," "The Satanic Rites of Dracula," "Dracula AD: 1972," "Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell." I think that was most of the horror films along with the ones already mentioned.
Another Hammer film rarely mentioned but actually quite good was "The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires." This one is about everyone's fave Vamp recruiting in the Orient.
Hammer made lots of Adventure movies in addition to their phenomenally successful Horror line.
Amicus Productions also made several movies that are often confused with Hammer Films, mainly because they also used Cushing and Lee on occasion. Titles include; "The Skull," "Dr. Terror's House of Horrors," "Madhouse," "Tales From the Crypt," "Vault of Horror," "The House That Dripped Blood," "The Deadly Bees," "The Terrornauts," and "The Monster Club" among others. This company also produced the very rarely seen early Dr. Who movies: "Dr. Who and the Daleks," and "Daleks-Invasion Earth 2150 A. D. These movies were done in the mid sixties. Peter Cushing played the absent-minded doctor in both.
Well, there you have it, lots of British Horror to check out. Enjoy!!!
Have a Great Day and...Pleasant Screams!!!
The "Creature"

message 34: by Lee (new)

Lee Cushing Creature wrote: "Greetings fellow Hammer Horror Devotees:
I was going to bring up Captain Kronos but you guys beat me to the punch. I really liked it and thought it could have gone on to be a neat series of mov..."

There are plans for Captain Kronos to be revived by the new Hammer.

message 35: by Creature (new)

Creature | 34 comments Hello:
That would be awesome. Thanx for the Heads-Up.
Have a Great Day!!!
The "Creature"

message 36: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments I reviewed MADHOUSE here

DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORROR here

and Hammer's VAMPIRE CIRCUS here.

I have a special old-timey Hammer project I'd love to see get made by the new Hammer, but I can't give it away.

message 37: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments Totally forgot about this thread. I feel like this was a million years ago. I have seen a load of the movies since then.

Peter Cushing. I love you!!

message 38: by Carly (new)

Carly Nicholas (zombie_girl) | 175 comments I love Peter Cushing, he is one of my favourite actors. So far I like the film, Lust for a vampire, They do show the hammer horror films, on the horror channel, but not the ones that I want to see.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I just bought Horror Of Dracula starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Love the Hammer films.

message 40: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6474 comments Dusting off an old topic here.

Can anyone think of any books that have the Hammer Horror feel to them? I am finding it hard to put into words exactly what I am thinking.

One example would be The Wolfman by Jonathan Maberry. Can anyone think of anything else?

message 41: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Davis | 3 comments I have always thought of Augustin Calmet's "The Phantom World" (there are various translations with various titles) as being very Hammer. He was a priest and wrote on vampires, ghosts, and such. I think I read somewhere that the pope sent him to investigate in person, which would make his a very Hammer sort of character, but I cannot confirm that now.

Also, of course, there is "Carmilla" by J. Sheridan le Fanu. Hammer's Karnstein cycle of vampire movies was directly inspired by that story.

Finally, though I have not read them, Andrzej Sapkowski's Witcher novels seem to make him out as a Captain Kronos type character. The setting is more Warhammer style fantasy than Hammer Horror, with elves and other races as well as vampires and such, but they might be worth looking at.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wolfman (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jonathan Maberry (other topics)