Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Authors/Writers' Corner > This Is Ridiculous

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Hi All,

What the heck has happened to the quality of editing in some IR books? The ebooks especially? (sigh). It's so bad now that it makes me second guess even buying certain IR authors anymore because their books are terrible in terms of editing. I also have a problem with one specific publisher who I will not name because I know a lot of IR writers are published with them and I don't wanna offend, but I will not spend another dime on one of their books. I'll even give the authors the benefit of the doubt even though we have a responsibility to make sure our work is as polished as possible before we send it to the editor.

Still, I won't blame just the authors because obviously these epubs could care less because each book that's released is getting worse.

I won't name names of authors or books. I wouldn't do anyone like that but unless some of these IR authors move from these pubs that don't edit, I won't be spending my money on them or supporting them. Readers shouldn't have to sit through garbage or books that look like they weren't even put through a word processor. It's been a bunch of IR ebooks I've been reading and all of them needed big time editing. I'm not talking about little grammar issues, no. Every book has mistakes. I mean BIG issues like content editing that needs to be addressed, characters' names changing in the middle of the book, repetitive sentences, bad dialogue. I'm talking about editing so bad it makes it very difficult to even finish the book.

Anyway, I just had to vent. It really got to me tonight because I was thinking of downloading some more books but I got disheartened because lately all I've gotten was crap.

Anyone else see how bad editing has gotten in IR ebooks lately? I know some print companies as well that aren't too great. Makes me think it's just IR publishers and if so then that's embarrassing.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net
A sadistic admirer has been stalking Detective Brianna Morris for months and now her friend Cheyenne Wilson has been beaten and left for dead:
Giving Up The Ghost Coming 2011

message 2: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1228 comments I don't read ebooks; but I've always been incensed when such poor editing crops up in print books.

I've actually stopped buying one author's fare because of exactly the things you indicate. I even went so far as to tell her that I would freely perform the editing function for her- it was such an embarrassment - but she has not taken me up on it.

So I save my money now

message 3: by Alexis-Morgan (new)

Alexis-Morgan Roark (alexismroark) | 22 comments I have experienced the same lack of quality. It made me stop buying IR romances. Sad but true. To whom can we complain? One day, I will finish my book. I have friends and family to help read it, but I will want a professional edit. Will that even happen I wonder...unless I pay for it of course!

Ok. Sorry for the rant.

message 4: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Hi Justine,

Wow, LOL! That book must have really been horrible if you offered to edit it for the author. She probably was so embarrassed that's why she didn't answer but I hoped it made her learn. You did the right thing. You probably opened her eyes and reminded her she needs to make sure her books are the best they can be.

Hi Alexis,

You don't have to pay to edit unless you self-publish. It's best for authors to learn how to edit themselves and yes, it takes a while but it's necessary for an author to be able to know how to edit their own books so they can work with the editor. Anyway, I feel you on the IR books. I'd hate to give up on them altogether. I know I'm definitely gonna stop buying from certain epubs now because all of the books are horribly edited or should I say, "not edited". I feel like they are just putting out crap and only wanna make money. It's the author who gets the brunt of the criticism that's why authors need to do the best they can to make sure their work is polished in the first place.

Best Wishes!

message 5: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Another reason this came up was because I was reading a review of an older IR book (I think it came out last year) that I was thinking about checking out until the reviewer ripped it up about how horrible the editing was. When she described it and the folks' comments agreed with her I said, "I not wasting another dime on a badly edited book."

So this was one of few times when a review actually dissuaded me from buying a book.

Best Wishes!

message 6: by new_user (new)

new_user I've seen some really bad editing from indie pubs, unfortunately. :/

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1379 comments I have learned the hard way as well. I now take a good long look at the house publishing the book before I buy it. If I have had a bad luck with that pub before then they are dunzo with me. And it makes me more wary before buying an unknown.

I recently read an e-book that seriously pissed me off because of all the errors. I couldn't even concentrate on the plot because of all the errors --- typos, inappropriateness word choices, homonym errors, just all over the place. It was execrable and I could not finish the book. I've read unproofed ARCs that were more polished and with tons less errors than this finished product.

I checked Amazon to see who the pub was because, really, it was bad. I had never heard of the publishing house. I googled them and they don't exist. I think it was a self pubbed book. But really, if you are going to put a product out there that you are charging money for, lack of editing ability is no excuse. Get some well read friends to read it and critique it. Hire your old english teacher. Do something but don't put a flawed product out there.

message 8: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (last edited Sep 05, 2010 08:20PM) (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
I think I know the house you are talking about Stacy-Deanne and I have to agree. I bought up a lot of their books because I wanted to support the house and their authors but it got so tough because the errors took away from what could've been some great stories. I stopped buying from there, except on an occasion where it's a series I'm waiting for (like recently) but I'm really wary about the books I buy for now. I notice it's happening in some big pubs but a lot of it happens in the epubs, especially in IR books. :-(

It makes me all the more set on putting out the best books I can possibly release.

message 9: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Sep 05, 2010 08:38PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Rae,

I feel the same way. I think it starts with the author and we need to make sure we do the best we can out of the gate. I'm gonna do what a lot of you have said, in fact I already made my mind not to buy anymore books from epubs that don't take the time to make sure their books are professional.

I love IR and would hate to give up on it altogether so if I have to just stick with a few authors who at least pump out readable books, I will.

Best Wishes!

message 10: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

That's a good goal. I'm down for that, too. :-) If you don't mind, please feel free to recommend them and I'll be sure to do the same as well!

message 11: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments I know who you're talking about as well, and their problem is they hire other writers to do their editing. And if you're a writer and your writing sucks, how are you going to be a decent editor?

I went out on a limb to self publish and I know I will sacrifice sales for doing it myself, but I would rather be responsible for my own work than go with my choices of IR publishing out there. I've had people I respect critique my book and I spent an extra year going over it with a fine tooth comb, plus I'm having it beta read just one more time to check for errors. I wanted to make sure I have a decent product before it goes out there to the public. With a nearly 500 page novel, I know it's going to be next to impossible to guarantee it will be 100% error free, but it will at least be a decent enough read.

Chaeya

message 12: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Hi Chaeya,

I agree with you about these epublishers and yes I do believe you have the right pub as well. You are right about them not hiring proper editors. I know a lot of IR writers with them and they've confirmed the same thing. I don't know why a writer would agree to be an editor knowing they don't have the skills? That only hurts the other authors in the company. I think a lot go with this particular company because they are desperate and this pubs takes anything I hear. The old saying is, "It's better to not be published at all than badly published."

About you going self-publishing, I usually don't think it's wise for fiction but in your case I think it's a good thing. A lot of IR writers self-publish and find that they still sell well. IR readers are very loyal and if you give them a good book, they don't care if it's self-published or not. The IR audience (thank goodness) is not as snooty as mainstream audiences when it comes to self-publishing.

You're right again, no book is error free. I think these writers need to ditch these epubs and try to go with small print houses that release ebooks. I gotta admit, print houses (yeah they have mistakes sometimes too), but on the whole their editing is very good some better than the big houses. I hate to put all epubs in the same boat because I know the big ones like EC and Samhain edit well but I've read too many books from these others that look like a three year-old wrote them and didn't even check over the work. Don't mean to be harsh but it's true.

You know I'm with a small press now (Peace in the Storm) and they EDIT. I'm talking about a professional level all the way around like a big pub. Their books also get picked up by Black Expressions which is huge for a small pub or anyone. They are a print press but also sell books for Kindle. So I do find print pubs edit better on a whole. I know some folks think epubs get a bad rap with editing, but you gotta see why now. I know if I read ten ebooks from various companies I'd get at least five that aren't edited properly. That's not a good thing.

Best Wishes!

message 13: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Oh and let's not get started on some of those covers on these ebooks. Yikes. LOL! A friend of mine was talking about them the other day. She said, "Thank goodness I just download these because I'd be embarrassed to pick some of these up in print." It goes back to the pub not caring enough to be professional. If you don't pay for professional cover art and editing why are you even in business? Just to make money off shoddy products?

message 14: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments I don't mind little typos here and there, and if the story is engaging, I can overlook other things as well. I have alerted a few writers to problems I saw in excerpts and didn't get so much as a thank you. I had a friend alert me to a typo in my excerpt, and I thanked her. I quickly fixed it. I've had writers argue with me about their writing stating that's just the way it is. My favorite arguments are: "I have a college degree," "I've worked for so and so's office for years," and "my fans like it."

Dude, I've worked as a word processor for over 20 years and as a proofreader. I can tell you right now that writing novels is far different than writing letters and contracts. I had to pretty much teach myself how to write all over again. Business grammar is nothing like fiction grammar.

I paid an artist to do my cover. I knew what I wanted and I wanted to have control over what I put on it.

Chaeya

message 15: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6568 comments Mod
Away from the typos and name change, I would like to see an example of something that was wrong in a book. You don't have to quote what's in the book. Just give me an example.

message 16: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) It is possible that some writers feel insulted when someone not published or not as successful in selling a book, points out problems they can no longer fix. Gone to print does mean a number of copies with whatever errors not found by the proofreader.

I don't know about ebooks and usually I don't pay attention to typos and other irregularities in the book unless it disrupts my suspension of belief. It is the story that has to get me. As a writer, I know I am horrible at grammar. So I take help where I can get it.
Some people are not that open minded.

What we also forget is that writing is a continuous learning skill. Just b/c you sold a manuscript and published does not been you have "reached the top of the mountain".

I remember reading a reprint of a Nora Roberts book she wrote in her early days. I almost set in on fire. I would also like to add that she didn't even authorize those re-prints, the company that bought the book outright did.

Also in many subgenres in the writing industry it is like the wild west, nothing is set in stone and all the writers seem to be going for broke. It is hard to find a good one in a slew of crap. The e-book distribution is just picking up and I still consider it the Out Back.

message 17: by Arch , Mod (new)

I have been writing for 23 years for fun. This past June made 23 years. Writing is my talent and although, it's my talent, I will gladly tell anyone that I truly believe that a talent doesn't exempt a writer from perfecting their talent. There is so much to learn about grammar.

Anybody can be a writer, but every writer doesn't have the talent of writing.

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments Hey everyone! Back from my writer’s lockdown. I hope everybody had a wonderful Labor Day.

Anywho, had to get on this. I know what you mean by editing, and it’s my fear every time one of my books goes out. You are all correct in saying that another writer shouldn’t not be editing UNLESS they have a degree in English and know grammar like the back of their hand.

I now have two editors that I am sticking with. They are anal when it comes to writing and I like that. They find all my mistakes. If you have someone like yourself that is a writer, but doesn’t have a full grasp of the technicalities of grammar, (like myself) it’s like the blind leading the blind. We writers trust that when we give them our manuscript to edit and they give it back with corrections, they’re right!

And for someone like myself that speaks, reads and writes in three languages, I need all the help I can get. LOL.

Self-publishing, I use to turn my nose up at that, but I think it’s changed a lot over the years, and like Stacy said, it’s a real boon for IR books.

I never knew about the small print houses. That might be something to look into. Is there a list of them?

Great topic guys!

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Sep 07, 2010 08:04AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
I know what you're talking about. I blame the publishers for putting out books that are of such poor quality. I do believe the authors should do their best to make sure their manuscripts are as error free as possible, but the publishers need to be a last check point, because nobody's perfect. I know I've proofread and edited documents I've written and still found errors. It's nice to have another set of eyes looking at things.

It is very bad for the reputation of a publisher if they have a consistent habit of publishing books that are not 'ready.'

My sister and I were discussing this because we both read books for review, and she's trying to read one that is really, really bad in a very sad, distressing way. She showed me some of the book and I felt bad for the author and the publisher. That book should not have been published.

If you know me, I am an easy grader with reviews, but the writing was not good quality in that story.

I love this genre, and it's painful to not to want to buy books because of issues with quality that I'm seeing.

message 20: by Arch , Mod (new)

I feel that a writer should tell his or her story as they see fit. I will speak for myself, I tend to give deep details as to what my characters are doing, eating, drinking, etc. and I don't see anything wrong with that.

As for writing back stories, I don't see anything wrong with that as well. Sometimes, it's needed, in order for the reader to know understand who the hero or heroine is.

I will use Gone Too Far for example. Suzanne Brockmann has let the readers see where Sam came from and to me it helped in understanding why Sam acted the way he did.

Every writer doesn't write the same and that's a good thing. Individuality is a must.

message 21: by Arch , Mod (new)

Chaeya,

You have shared your opinion of what you feel is poor writing.

Every writer writes different. Every reader wants different stuff in the books that they read.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

message 22: by LaVerne (new)

LaVerne (lavernethompson) | 77 comments This is a great topic. I for one have a really hard time self editing. It's because my brain works faster than my typing so while my brain is saying one thing, I've actually written something else. Which is why I need a good critique partner and an excellent editor. I think I have both. The funny thing is I've been told I'm an excellent critiquer because I pay attention to detail. Yeah in other peoples work. LOL!

But the truth is I'm always learning, each story should be better than the last. Writing should be a constant learning process.

That being said I go through my final edits with a fine tooth comb. But by this time I've read the work quite a few times, so when my final galley's come back I'm no longer surprised I didn't catch everything. And even after I go through that galley before publication I catch one or two mistakes. But one of things I've realized is that sometimes in correcting a mistake one is made. For that I apologize.

All we can do from the publisher to the authors to the editors to the line editors and proofers is pay attention and work together to put out an excellent product.

message 23: by Justine (last edited Sep 08, 2010 08:54AM) (new)

Justine | 1228 comments Chaeya wrote: "I don't mind little typos here and there, and if the story is engaging, I can overlook other things as well. I have alerted a few writers to problems I saw in excerpts and didn't get so much as a ..."

I agree that a typo here and there can be overlooked, but not when there are typos on every page; not when some sentences don't make any sense; not when you can't concentrate on the plot because you are trying to fix the errors yourself....

message 24: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1228 comments Arch wrote: "Chaeya,

You have shared your opinion of what you feel is poor writing.

Every writer writes different. Every reader wants different stuff in the books that they read.

Thanks for sharing you..."

Every writer may write differently, but there is one thing every single reader demands - a product that is as error free as possible.

message 25: by Arch , Mod (new)

Justine,

Yes, readers would want a product that's error free, but there's a possibility that some work will have errors in them. Errors happen.

Let me make this clear. when I have said that every reader wants different stuff in the books that they read.

Jane Doe may not want back story, where as John Doe might want back story.

The same thing goes for writers.

Jane Doe may not write back story, but there's nothing wrong with John Doe writing back story.

I don't like when people come down hard on writers. A lot of people that proclaims that a certain writer doesn't know how to write, doesn't even know everything about grammar themselves.

I have not came across a full blown grammar expert yet. I know that I am not one and writing is my talent.

message 26: by Tina (last edited Sep 08, 2010 03:17PM) (new)

Tina | 1379 comments Laverne - what you say is so true, that is why the writer simply can't edit her own work. You know what you mean, you know what wanted to say on the page. The eye and the mind have a sleight of hand. It is possible to see what you expect to see not what is exactly there.

And then there is this:
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

I had a writing prof who insisted that good editing required at minimum two outside proof readers. He'd make them read it aloud, he'd make them read the sentences backwards and he'd make them proof for different types of mistakes one at a time, i.e. one go round would be proofing on spelling only, one go round would proof on usage only, one go round would proof on punctuation only, etc.

I don't mind the occasional error. Arch is right, mistakes happen. But there is a tipping point. it is absolutely unacceptable for there to be spelling errors on riddled throughout a book.

My pet peeve is bad word usage. When a word does not mean what the author thinks it means or if they are using a noun as a verb or a verb as an adjective. You may have read a word in a sentence and in that context you may think you know what it means, but unless it really means what you think it means don't use it unless you look it up first. Looking a word up in a dictionary takes only moments. A bad impression on an audience lasts a lifetime.

message 27: by Arch , Mod (last edited Sep 08, 2010 04:03PM) (new)

A published writer isn't the only one that touches their book. Other people dig in their book as well, so when a reader sees errors in the book, it doesn't mean that the error came from the author.

A lot of people think they know a lot about grammar and they don't. It's easy for a reader to think an author can't write (I am talking minus the spelling errors or even name change), but is the reader really good with grammar themselves. Can they really tell if an author used a dash wrong, how about if it's wrong to start a sentence with the word and?

How about fragment senteces? Every writer work that I have read, have fragment sentences in them. I have even seen a couple of sentences that started with the word and, in some writers stories.

It's a pet peeve of mine, when readers come down hard on a writer.

I have had my share of people come at me and tell me that I don't know how to write. I have even had an English teacher come at me too. I like, when people think they are smart. I like to show them, just how much they don't know about writing or should I say grammar themselves. It's sad that an English teacher didn't know what she was talking about.

I feel that if a reader will come down hard on an author, they should step up and back up their grammar knowledge, by getting a perfect book out on the market, so others can read their work.

I know that a lot of people don't want to read a book filled with errors and they have that right, but you don't have to buy a book. You can check it out from the library if you can. If it's an ebook, well it's your chance that you are taking, by buying the book. Don't buy and then complain later.

I'll tell anyone, my stories aren't perfect, but I don't write to please people. I write for myself. I would never write for anyone else.

I have never read a perfect story yet.

message 28: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1228 comments Arch wrote: "Justine,

Yes, readers would want a product that's error free, but there's a possibility that some work will have errors in them. Errors happen.

Let me make this clear. when I have said that ..."

Would you purchase a car that you expect and would be satisfied with that as you are driving down the street a wheel falls off or a door flies open or the hood flies up?

I absolutely do not expect to have errors in any book I purchase. Mistakes do happen and while I can tolerate the odd one or two - I absolutely will not accept errors on every page.

You may write to please yourself and that's good; but as long as you are publishing your writings for others to consume by paying for it, you are no longer writing just to please yourself. On such occasions I will demand as perfect a product as possible or merchandise gets returned.

I have read many, many perfect stories.

message 29: by Arch , Mod (new)

Justine,

I would never buy a car without test driving it first.

A true writer would never write for anyone, but herself or himself. There's nothing wrong with a writer sharing their work, regardless if it's for a profit or for fun, still a writer's number one fan should always be themselves.

For every reader that I come across that's hard on writers, I would love to read their writing to see just how good they believe they are.

If I was a published author and I had a reader tell me that my writing sucked or even seen that they have complained about my writing. I would definitely challenged that reader to a writing contest.

message 30: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
Reminder not to use the reply button. Please use a blank text box. If you have hit the reply button accidentally, please go back and edit your posts. Thanks!

message 31: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments For those of you who are interested, I'm getting this program called Autocrit and it works online. It came highly recommended from writers in my other group, and I read quite a few online reviews from others who praised it. It's great for people who don't have a critiquer or beta reader.

Try it out: http://www.autocrit.com/

Chaeya

message 32: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments THANKS! Let us know how it works. I won't download anything until I get e new computer

message 33: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (gotrr) | 53 comments I'll add my voice, again, to the complaints about the terrifible editing of many IR ebooks. I've stopped buying books of particular authors whose books were difficult to read because of editing errors. It's tough, too, because I love the ebook format and do enjoy IR. It's gotten to the point that when I finish an IR ebook with relatively few errors, I think, "gee, that was nice, no editing errors." This is something I don't usually think about when reading a book from a mainstream publisher.

message 34: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah Burke | 48 comments Afternoon, y'all;
I know for the most part I'm a lurker n' don't say much in the way of posts. But I wanted to chime in for whatever my opinion was worth. I know a lot of people blame the author when a story is poorly edited. However, most contracts state that the publisher has the final say in how things go out. I've gone through edits, a few rounds, and have recieved the line edits in which items my editor and I had taken out had been put back in. Or they used the original ms which had absolutely none of our corrections in it.

There are editors and line editors who don't always agree on what should be correct form, so what one removes another can replace. Ex: -ing words, -ly words, gerunds, etc. Which format they go by, Chicago Manual or something else.

Don't get me wrong, I despise finding mistakes in my work, and that of others but, they do happen. But I don't think it is all the authors fault.

If people have such problems with a specific company and the quality (or lack of) that is put out in regards to their IR books (which unfortunately tend to get the worse editing, I agree on that) and maybe they will tighten up on such things. If they know you are unhappy with what they sell perhaps they will fix it. However if nothing is said, they will assume to be able to get by with such shoddy editing.

Again, just my opinion as both author and reader, for whatever it's worth. Back to my lurker corner. :)
Happy reading,
~Aliyah

message 35: by Arch , Mod (new)

Thanks for your input Aliyah. You don't have to be a lurker.

I was going to suggest that people contact the publisher and tell them how they feel about what they are putting out in the market to sell.

You have beat me to it. Thanks! :)

message 36: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

AutoCrit is pretty cool, I agree. :-)

message 37: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I appreciate your input, Aliyah. I had heard something along those lines. I know that you guys work very hard on your stories, so I definitely don't place all that blame on your shoulders.

message 38: by Violette (new)

Violette Dubrinsky | 32 comments Thanks for the autocrit recommendation. Will check it out.

message 39: by Sienna Mynx (new)

Sienna Mynx | 11 comments Thanks for autocrit. I will check it out! as well!

message 40: by Ruth Madison (new)

Ruth Madison (Dev Love Press) (ruthmadison) | 13 comments Do you guys find that reviews at Amazon help? I depend on them a lot before I purchase even a cheap ebook. And I download a lot of samples to see how the writing is before I invest.

message 41: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Sep 30, 2011 08:42AM) (new)

I haven't had luck with the reviews for IR books that I've bought on Amazon. I'm wary to say the least now.

message 42: by Ruth Madison (new)

Ruth Madison (Dev Love Press) (ruthmadison) | 13 comments Oh dear. That's too bad. I wonder if there are book bloggers who read this kind of fiction? If there were a good one, they could read and give detailed review on all the offerings. Does anyone know of one?

message 43: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) If the plot is good or readers like the author, they tend to overlook the typos or they don't weigh heavily when the reader reviews the book. There are a couple of IR authors whose books sell well, but I have noticed that readers on Amazon complain about the poor editing in the reviews.

Readers understand a couple of errors, but a lot of them are annoying. I don't usually find grammatical mistakes. I tend to run across a lot of typos or misused words (such as where instead of we're and so forth). I catch these errors in books from large publishers, too, though. I see them in Harlequin books, and I just read a Kimani book and was shocked by the number of typos. Still, the book received rave reviews, and if I recall correctly, only one or two people mentioned the typos.

Ruth, there are sites that do reviews of IR and multicultural fiction. If you go to my website, I have a list of IR and multicultural resources online. http://delaneydiamond.com/links/

I'd love to list more if people are aware of any.

message 44: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

It's not so much that. I've just found that many readers are just happy to read an interracial book, even if the plot isn't that developed or the story is just sex. I want IR books to be just as complex and well-developed as any other romance book I read. I want more from a book, and a complex story. That's why I take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt.

message 45: by Bettye (new)

Bettye Griffin (bettyegriffin) | 18 comments Interesting conversation. I am a writer who has gone the indie route after having 16 books (10 romances and 6 mainstream women's fiction) published traditionally. I am currently preparing my first IR, A Kiss of a Different Color, for eBook publication through my imprint, Bunderful Books. I work very closely with my editor and do extensive self-editing, and I believe you will find my novels well-edited.

I invite you to visit my Bunderful Books website (www.bunderfulbooks.com) to read excerpts from my two upcoming novels, as well as my author website (www.bettyegriffin.com), to read excerpts from earlier books.

message 46: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 335 comments I'm one of the ones annoyed by a lot of editorial errors. So I just had to brag about the e-publisher I work for. Passion in Print http://www.passioninprint.com/. Every manuscript goes through 3 editors: the content editor, line editor and proofer. It is very clean when it hits the store shelves.

message 47: by Ruth Madison (new)

Ruth Madison (Dev Love Press) (ruthmadison) | 13 comments Delaney, thanks for that list! I will look into reading some of those regularly.

Lady Danielle, I see your point! That makes sense. I can see how these books might be resting on that one element instead of developing a full and rich text, assuming that we're just desperate to get anything!

I have also found problems, mistakes, or underdeveloped stories in traditionally published books. There are some publishing houses that seem to have very low standards. I read both self-published/indie and trad published and I find some are great and some have mistakes, regardless of which type it is. In fact, the only time I have ever left a one star review was on a traditionally published book.

message 48: by Chicki (new)

Chicki Brown (chicki663) | 130 comments Hi, Bettye! Good to see you here.

Chicki

message 49: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Nixon (acnixon) | 14 comments Wow, what a great thread. My primary goal, and I think that holds true for all of us is to write a good book. To do this all of the elements need to be there, content, editing, proofing - everything.

Whether we self publish, go with an epub, or traditional we want the best product out there. I have to agree, regardless of how tempting the book sounds, there are some publishers that I will not buy from because I've been disappointed one too many times.

And can we talk about some of those covers... ew. If it's romance, please don't make the cover look like porn, and I'm speaking of some small e-publishers.

The good thing about reading things that don't sit well with me is that I make a mental note not to make that mistake. Of course I'll make different ones :-), but not that particular mistake.

I've read books by many of you that post here regularly, and must admit you ladies rock.

Annette

message 50: by Dahlia (new)

Dahlia DeWinters (dahliadewinters) | 56 comments I just saw this post because of the updates. How interesting also because I just received my first round of edits for my manuscript.

I truly dislike reading errors in a book - it destroys my little world I've created in my head because I stop thinking about the story and start looking for the next error.

I passed over a few publishers in my submissions process because the books were so poorly proofread and edited, so I totally understand this thread.

And for some reason, it does seem to be more prevalent in IR books. Perhaps the demand is so high that publishers are pushing them too quickly?

I'm only speaking generally here: not to say that every publisher is careless with editing of eBooks.

D
http://dahliadewinters.com

« previous 1