History: Actual, Fictional and Legendary discussion

Current Topic - Napoleonic Wars > Exile, Return, Waterloo and Exile.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed, Chief Curmudgeon (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 622 comments Mod
Here are some possible topics for discussion.

1. How was Napoleon able to escape Elba and garner support in France.

2. What was Napoleon's over-all strategy to defeat the Allies and why did it fail?

3. Why did Napoleon delay attacking The Duke of Wellington at Waterloo?

4. What event during the Battle caused the French to panic and run?

5. Why did Napoleon surrender even though Paris was still in French hands and many of his most loyal supporters urged him to fight on?

6. How was Napoleon's exile on St. Helena different than his exile on Elba?

7. What do some conspiracy theorists say caused Napoleon's death? What seems to be the truth of the matter?

message 2: by Ed, Chief Curmudgeon (new)

I often wonder what would have happened if Napoleon had won at Waterloo. He certainly came close.

message 3: by Kendall (new)

Kendall (kendallfurlong) | 21 comments I'm watching A&E's productions of Napoleon. Let's you know when we get to Waterloo. (The miniseries leaves at lot to be desired so far).

message 4: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Ed wrote: "I often wonder what would have happened if Napoleon had won at Waterloo. He certainly came close."

I think the French would lost the war anyway. Sure they might be able to won several battles here and there and that wouldn't last enough and they'd run out their energy/resources. No one in Europe would just stand by and let him occupy the whole continent.

message 5: by Ed, Chief Curmudgeon (new)

Silvana wrote: "Ed wrote: "I often wonder what would have happened if Napoleon had won at Waterloo. He certainly came close."

I think the French would lost the war anyway. Sure they might be able to won several ..."

I tend to agree with you, but remember he pretty much controlled all of continental Europe earlier.

message 6: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Crazy Cat Lady (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 310 comments Mod
Yes, and most of them weren't wild about the idea of his coming back, either. I think I'm with Silvana on this one. The concentration of forces in the area would have been too much for him (let alone Russian manpower), even if he had won on the day at Waterloo.

message 7: by Kendall (new)

Kendall (kendallfurlong) | 21 comments
Ed asked, I often wonder what would have happened if Napoleon had won at Waterloo. He certainly came close.

Silvana answered, No one in Europe would just stand by and let him occupy the whole continent and Susanna agreed The concentration of forces in the area would have been too much . . . , even if he had won on the day at Waterloo.

I agree the out-resourced French would have lost in the long run. But Napoleon, just conceivably and if he had won at Waterloo- which he might have done with a little bit of luck--could have held onto power a long time. Wellington, the only contemporary general who knew how to defend against him, would have been dead or disgraced and there was no one else in sight--though events, I admit, at times pop up just the right leader (e.g., Spurance at Midway).
It isn't clear if would have made much difference. He was 46 years old at Waterloo, all the great Napoleonic reforms were behind him. During his last years of rule he had concentrated on self aggrandizement. I would not have been pretty I suspect.

message 8: by Ed, Chief Curmudgeon (new)

I also wonder if anyone has written an alternative history in which Napoleon is victorious at Waterloo. I've not been able to find one.

message 9: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Crazy Cat Lady (new)

Hmmmmm. You would think so, wouldn't you? But I can't think of one.

message 10: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 66 comments I'm not sure but it looks like Napoleon Concertomay be a book in which Napoleon wins at Waterloo. The product description on Amazon begins "Napoleon lost at Waterloo. Right?" It is an alternate history novel about Napoleon.

message 11: by Ed, Chief Curmudgeon (last edited Nov 17, 2010 02:37AM) (new)

Shomeret wrote: "I'm not sure but it looks like Napoleon Concertomay be a book in which Napoleon wins at Waterloo. The product description on Amazon begins "Napoleon lost at Waterloo. Right?" It i..."

Thanks, Shomeret. It looks good. Only one review, though. Still not sure from the review if Napoleon wins or loses at Waterloo in this alt-history.

message 12: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Crazy Cat Lady (new)

Hard to tell, from that description, I agree.

message 13: by James (new)

James Hartley | 1 comments Hi everyone -

If anyone´s interested, I´ve been researching Napoleon´s exile and death on St Helena. I´ve read most of the extant material and my book is faction - a mix of fact and fiction. It´s a detailed account of what Napoleon did and who he met on the island, concentrating on his relationship with Sir Hudson Lowe.

The first part of the book will be released on August 15th (Napoleon´s birthday). It´s available to preorder on Amazon and there are 5 free chapters on Instafreebie if you want a look. There´s also more information on my website www.jameshartleybooks.com

Thanks and I´m enjoying the discussion!
JamesThe Napoleon Diaries Book One: Imperial Exile