The Jezebel Book Network discussion

General Discussion > NaNoWriMo

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 6 comments So it isn't reading, it's writing (but it could be reading, if we shared our projects with each other!).

Someone on GT brought up NaNoWriMo the other day. I attempted it a couple years back but I think I might give it another shot this year. Has anybody here done it before? Anybody plan to do it this year? Plot ideas? Thoughts?

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole  (nimabu) | 22 comments Mod
I was going to ask what it was because I saw that same post the other day.

And thank you for posting, I was going to point out how I wasn't the only one who could start discussions, add books, create events, etc. Anybody can control the group.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 6 comments It's National Novel Writing Month. The goal is to write 50K words in the month of November. There are lively discussion boards and an awesome sense of camaraderie among those of us crazy enough to commit to writing a short novel in the space of a month. I totally suggest you give it a shot, if you have time. I didn't even "win" (i.e. reach 50K words) last time, but it was a blast anyway. I don't expect to win this year, since I'm taking a heavy class load, but I'm going to try! ;)

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (mad_as_birds) | 3 comments I've always been tempted to try, but I'm a little intimidated by it, to be honest. Though really, if there was ever a year to do it, it would be this year, so maybe I will!

message 5: by Nicole (new)

It looks tempting, I just don't know what I would write about.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 6 comments Nicole wrote: "It looks tempting, I just don't know what I would write about."

There's often a thread in one of the forums called "Adopt a Plot" or something to that effect. You can skim and either adopt someone's suggestion or just get ideas from what other people post. Sometimes people just start without having any solid plot in mind and let their novel evolve as the month goes on and it seems to work surprisingly well.

message 7: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary Oliver (FaeryGothMother) | 5 comments Howdy, everyone. This is Faery Goth Mother from Jez! Anyway, I did NaNo last year and it's really, really fun. It can be a bit intimidating at first, but once you get going, it's really not as daunting as it seems. The community is awesome and I encourage everyone here to do it!

Claire (Tea & Oranges) (Tea_And_Oranges) | 3 comments I'm considering doing it this year—I saw Dauphine's post on GT about it and it inspired me to really consider it. It sounds really intimidating but I think it's worth a shot.

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Now that Lauren mentioned it I spent a few minutes last night on their site and I'm seriously considering it. If I can find something to write about in the next couple of weeks I'll give it a try. What really sounds tempting about it is the community aspect of it, I don't know if people do it where I live.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 6 comments I think they have regional boards somewhere on the site, where you can find your region and chat with other NaNo authors nearby. I almost attended a meet-up in my area once but sadly lacked the transportation. :(