Grand River Prep Reads! discussion

A Child Called "It"

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danah (new)

Danah | 2 comments The book I am reporting on is A Child Called “It”, by Dave Pelzer. The book is about the authors, David Pelzer, terrible and horrific abuse in his home, including starvation and torture I can't even describe. When David is 12 he is rescued. My overall impression of A Child called “It” was that I liked it. But in a way, I didn't like it. The words chilled my bones as David Pelzer gave graphic images of the abuse his mother gave him. I can't even understand why a mother would do that to her child, or why his dad didn't do anything about it. I felt as if I could feel David's pain, and I admire David for trying to be strong, and growing up to become a good person. He had reasons to become a alcoholic, and a abuser just like his mom.
What I enjoyed about the plot is that David tried not to let his mother “defeat” him. He tried to stay alive, and to “defy” his mother's abuse. I think that some of the message of the book was, think of David when you think you have it bad. I know I did. Now, when I feel upset at my parents because they don't let me get the pair of shoes I want, I will think of David. The characters were David and his parents and his brothers mainly. What I like about David is that he would never lose hope. Though sometimes his dad would try to help, eventually he just gave up hope, which makes him almost as bad as his mom. I don't know what was going on with his mother that made her single him out, instead of his brothers, and what made her go crazy. The ending was good. Dave Pelzer expresses how he took control of his life, and he didn't let his past haunt him.
I would recommend this book to people who maybe are feeling negative. Even though it makes you feel sad, it also makes you feel blessed, and you feel like you have the whole world compared to David. It helps you to feel grateful. I would also recommend this book to people who can handle sad things. This book, though engaging, and page-turning, can make you feel depressed. But mostly I believe this would be a good book for most people to read.
Some questions I have for this book is:
1.Davids father knew his wife was doing wrong. Why didn't he stop her?
2.Why didn't his brothers help them?
3.Dave's mother was nice up until he was 5. What made her turn evil, and psychotic?
4.Why didn't the nurse help him earlier?

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Arms | 3 comments Overall, I really liked this book. The way that the author wrote had you so into the book that you could feel all of the hardships and harsh abuse that David was going through. You could feel his pain and how deeply he didn't want to give into the schemes of his mother. All the hate inside him, even to things such as the sun that most everyone loves, made sense because of all the torture he had to live through. Even driven to edge where he wanted to die.
I believe that the author is trying to teach a lesson here. He is saying that most of us are lucky and don't have to live in the hell that he went through. He is telling us that we should not give up and that we should also not take anything for granted. David had nothing but his determination, yet that was enough to get him through his childhood alive.
I think that the end of the book was the best part. Just knowing that David could make it through all that and sharing the satisfaction that he had won the battle of survival was a great way to end on a positive note.
I would recommend this book to people who need some motivation. The book gives reasons to succeed with what you're given and shows that you actually are quite gifted with what you have.
I did wonder though, throughout the book about the cases of child abuse. I know that this is a pretty extreme case, but it still does happen and people do know about it. I wonder why they never tell anyone about it. David's neighbors, grandmother, and even father knew about it so why did they never help him?