Grand River Prep Reads! discussion

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sierra (new)

Sierra (SierRaaarrrrrr) | 2 comments My overall impression of the book, Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, is a good one. I’m impressed with the vast amount of enveloping imagery the book contains. It made me anxious, when I read the end, to open another cover full of endless imagination intriguing adventures and thought provoking fantasies. When I reached the last word of this book, I wanted more. I loved every moment of delving into this book and can’t wait to unravel the mysteries of the sequel, Pretties.
One thing I enjoyed about the plot was that it was a wonderfully imagined masterpiece of events that tied me in at every turn and incident. Each time I turned the page I dove deeper into the world of Tally Youngblood as if I were connected to her in some unnatural way. It was like a melody, a song that captures you and stays imprinted in you’re head, the feel of a warm embrace lingering on you’re skin, whispering pleasant memories and provoking a whirlwind of thought to take you in even as the book escaped you’re eager hands. It haunts you in a wonderful way as you sleep and leaves you with something wonderful to wake up to until the very last sentence.
I would recommend this book not only to a person who enjoys Science Fiction, but to someone who loves a good book, a hooking plot, thrilling adventures and dynamic characters that anyone could relate to. I would suggest it to all my friends, even the ones who don’tnecessarily like to read, with the certainty that this book would be an exception.
Some questions that went through my mind while reading this book was; what inspired Scott Westerfeld to write this series? What it was like to come up with this world Tally lives in? The book is so well written that it makes you wonder how long it took to create such a wonderful piece.

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina (marinacarabellese) | 1 comments A world contained—carefully controlled and monitored so that everything works seamlessly. The idea of a utopia plagued by a few knowing rebels trying to raise awareness of the emptiness of it all caught my attention when I started to read Uglies.

The setting and idea of this novel was promising, but my overall impression of Uglies was not that of a book I would recommend. The plot left me asking questions such as, ‘Why did this character feel the need to do this?’ ‘What was their motive?’ Also, ‘What happened during the unexplained gaps in this character’s plan?’ Despite this, the plot was exciting and engaged the reader in the adventures of the heroine, Tally Youngblood. High speed hoverboard chases, thrilling escapes and travels through the wilderness with nothing to eat but rehydrated Spaghetti Bolognese keep readers of the edge of their seats, biting fingernails nervously. The fact that the plot never slowed is the reason I enjoyed this book; the action never stopped!

The novel’s message was a bit unclear to me because the plot has not concluded itself but continues at its top speed pace into Pretties and Specials. I believe the rebellious ‘rather live freely than safely’ lesson throughout the book is exciting and inspiring. Fighting the odds as an underdog always adds interest to a plot and I liked that element of the story. On the other hand, I was not pleased with the fact that Tally often broke one promise in favor for another, playing down the endurance of friendships and muting the consequences of lying.

The characters of Scott Westerfield’s novel often changed alliances with back-and-forth thoughts on the matter and I find that I could not describe anyone of them to you definitively. David, one of the original ‘Smokey’ rebels, was an exception to the pattern. He was consistent throughout the book and I enjoyed the depth of his character.

I would not readily recommend this book to those who read classic authors or for those who enjoy prose based writings styles because Uglies had fewer descriptions than other books and lots of action. Conversely, those who enjoy a fast-paced read tinged with romance would be recommended this book in a heartbeat.

Some questions I have about this novel are about Peris and her home life in general. What happened to her promise to Peris? She never thought twice about it as Westerfield tied up loose ends near the end of the story. Did her parents care that she left or is their society blinded into ignorance beyond that? Lastly, I would have liked to learn more about how the city worked. Did no one in authority positions disagree? Is there really no such thing as fighting over differing opinions anymore? These answers aren’t necessary for understanding the story, but it would be interesting to understand Tally’s world further.

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara Smith | 3 comments Uglies by Scott Westerfeld was a great science fiction book about the future. The main character Tally is eagerly awaiting her sixteenth birthday so she can become a pretty. But when Tally meets David she realizes that maybe becoming a pretty isn’t the best thing to do with her life. Tally goes and lives with the people who are still uglies and learns about life and the things that really matter. But in the end Tally’s best friend Shay is turned into a pretty and Tally decides to become one in order to try and help change the world. I loved this book even though in the beginning I thought it was kind of boring and confusing, it got so good that I didn’t want to put it down. The characters had great personalities and the plot twists kept the book interesting and engaging. I liked the author, Scott Westerfeld’s style of writing. And the ending was surprising yet really good. I am really looking forward to reading the next few books in the series because this one was so good. The book was really a pretty good read and it didn’t take that long to read so hopefully the sequel and the rest of the series will be similar. I would recommend this book to all my friends because it was just so good and interesting. I only wonder how in the world do you come up with such a great idea for a book like this one?

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments The first line of Uglies by Scott Westerfeld is, “The early summer sky was the color of cat vomit.” The author then went on for a paragraph or two about what you’d have to feed your cat to get that color vomit. I assumed I was about to jump into a world concocted by a very amateur writer but I was wrong. Uglies was made up of great imagery, realistic characters and a well thought-out world.
I loved the characters in Uglies because they were so realistic. Not just individually, but together they made very likely connections, relationships, and conflicts. The characters weren’t all labeled. There wasn’t a specific Girly Girl, Tom Boy, Athlete or Nerd. Everyone was different but enough alike that they could get along and it made sense for them to be friends. They shared common ideas and opinions but also conflicted as well. The main character was not the perfect one that you just had to favor and that made her less of a character and more of a person.
Reading about Tally was interesting. She thought the name David sounded strange and made up, just like her name sounded to me. She thought all the famous people in the magazines were hideous and old, wrinkled people terrified and disgusted her. All this was so strange and irritating to hear. Her opinions and narrow mindedness frustrated me but made her all the more realistic. By the end of the book I felt like her friend. It was pretty cool.
The plot was great! I never really got bored with this book. There was always something going on. When there wasn’t action there was suspense. When there wasn’t suspense there was romance. When there was romance there was drama. Comedy filled in all the rest. I found that even though the parties were with the Pretties, there was never a dull moment in the life of ugly little Tally Youngblood.
The ending was a complete cliffhanger but drop-off endings are what make readers eager for the next book in the series. When there are no loose ends or unanswered questions, I will feel like the story is complete and I probably won’t read the next book. I don’t need to know what happens next. I’ve already had a satisfying ending. But Westerfeld kept me hooked! I consider him an excellent writer because of this.
I would recommend this book to anyone with even the slightest interest in Sci-Fi/Fantasy because there is so much more to this book than just that.
I wonder where Scott Westerfeld got enough inspiration for this book. I can’t imagine what more could be in the rest of the series. How did he come up with the entire world and lifestyles? How did he think through such a complicated society?

message 5: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle | 1 comments I agree 100 percent, the book was amazing! I really don't know what I was expecting when I picked it up, my sister was raving about it and I thought Sure why not? But, I really was not ready for what awaited me inside that cover, from the first few words I was intrigued by the uniqueness of Westerfeild's writing and how the world he created was so imaginative and realistic all at the same time. The very idea that he is promoting is so interesting, and in my opinion a good way to evaluate things in our everyday world. If I was amazed by the action and adventure, I was amazed doubly by the characters and places created in this unique world. I think I fell in love with his writing style and just the astounding ideas that had me dropping my mouth open as I read. The ending was very sad to me, because it meant the end of the book! But it was a good way to lead to the next book, and makes it impossible to not want to read the next book . I would recommend this book for readers that like complex ideas and heart racing action, it's a good mix of Science Fiction, Fantasy and even a little Historical Fiction. The one question that I have, is what did Scott Westerfeild base this society off of? Ours? Or was it an idea that he created himself? That would make it more meaningful to find that out.

message 6: by Jade (new)

Jade | 2 comments My overall impression of the book was a pretty good one. I have to admit, it took me a few tries to finally dedicate myself to reading it but after I got into the book this novel was a must-read! The things I enjoyed about the plot were the many twists and turns. This book was a science fiction novel and because of that it allowed creativity to flow easily without the need to stop and check if it really made sense. It allowed the mind to wander and explore the possibilities of the future. I also enjoyed the characters personalities. Tally was a character that I believe we can all relate to in a way, she posseses the traits of a powerful young women who takes what life throws at her. This book is one that the ending leaves you anticipating the next, you cant just read one and leave your mind wondering what the possibilities of the next book could be. Scott Westerfeld took many risks with the text of this book but in the long run it played off well. Some questions that I have for the author would be, what was your motivation behind writing this novel with such powerful characters and story lines? Did the story turn out the way you had anticipated?