Weekly Short Stories Contest and Company! discussion

Your Writing! > Stephanie, Prepare To Be Amazed

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 2: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) ... U STILL HAVEN'T WRITEN MORE FOR CANDY'S JOURNEY!!!

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments I know- I'll write more right now. Okay?

message 4: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) yey!!

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Okay, it's up.

message 6: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) yey!!

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Lol

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Lol, thanks.

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Esther, chapter eight of Candy's Journey is up.

message 10: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) yey!!

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments haha

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Chapter nine of Candy's Journey is up, Esther.

message 13: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) yey!!! haha... dejavu

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Lol, now you've gotta read it!

message 15: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) i read it!!!

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Yay!!!

message 17: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) ;D

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments haha

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Chapter ten is up

message 20: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) yey!!!!

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments :D

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments All right, here's the beginning to my new book. Tell me how it is.

The entrance shook with the huge force The One had catapulted towards the doors. Hearing the earsplitting sound, The Guardians took an involuntary step back from the mouth of the cave. The metal bars were just visible from where Andy stood, two and half yards away. The doors shook again as The One stroke against his prison.

Andy’s heart pounded in his chest. He glanced back at his companions, who were all cowering behind the forest trees. No one wanted to get closer but they had to check the defenses. He took a hesitant step forward.

As if sensing his movement, The One beat more rapidly against the cage. The doors shook on their hinges but they held strong against the violence. Knowing that the sooner it was checked the sooner they could leave, Andy continued forward; he glanced over his shoulder. They were still behind the trees but their eyes now followed him and his journey towards the monster.

It was hard to breathe, but Andy pushed forward. The only thing he dreaded was the possibility that the cage was not as secure as it seemed to be. If it wasn’t, they would have to stay. His hands grew clammy as he approached. Without thinking, he put a hand on his sword. As he stepped under the cave’s roof, a supernatural chill rippled down his spine, incasing him like the shadowed cave. How ridiculous. If he did need his sword, it wouldn’t be of any use here. The One would be able to strike him down before he could draw it.

The cage doors shook even more violently. A cold draft issued from between the dark bars, drawing Andy in, towards the bars.

“No!” A woman broke away from the trees. “Andy no!”

“Amanda!” A man behind her reached out to stop her but she dodged his grasp. Andy was getting closer to the cage — too close.

Andy took another step then stopped. His breath misted in the air. The temperature was vastly different in the cave so close to the cage. Nose almost touching the bars, Andy stared into the dark space ahead of him; his eyes glazed over in the freezing cave.

message 23: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments (Two and half months later): I'd read it.

message 24: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Lol. Thanks for reading. I'm about 20K into it. Another 80 to go now....

message 25: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Oh, I did that back in....September. I'm shooting for 100K and had it all mapped out. I was going to write 50K in September and 50 in October. Then I decided against the rigorous pace.

It's gotten easier since my first NaNoWriMo. I owe it all to that really.

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments I've created a blog! http://theservicemutations.blogspot.c... Suggestions are welcomed!

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Haha. Thanks for looking at it!

message 28: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Nice. I don't usually find writing about writing very interesting, but this isn't bad at all.

message 29: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments :)

message 30: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Just posted part of my new novella: Ribbon of Time

message 31: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Stephanie, the goal of 50K per month is staggering to me as well! Though after doing a NaNoWriMo successfully I can definitely see how that increased your pace. It took me nearly five months to finish my book, 112K, but it seems as if my next book might move a bit faster. Thank goodness.

Good luck with whatever book you're working on now :)

message 32: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments I've only ever managed 50K in a month during the NaNo events. Haha

message 33: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Heh. I wasn't able to do it. *big sigh*

message 34: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments That's okay. I still haven't managed to win Script Frenzy yet. I just keep trying though.

message 35: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments What's Script Frenzy?

message 36: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments It's a challenge created by the same people but it takes place in April and you're supposed to write a 100 page script.

message 37: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Yikes. I've never written s script. I'll stick to my poetry and books :p

How are YOUR books going by the way? :)

message 38: by Stephanie (last edited May 26, 2012 09:10PM) (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Pretty good. I have a goal to be done with editing my novel and to have my queries ready to send by the end of the summer. Hopefully sooner.

I just rewrote an entire query letter and it's nowhere near done. I've only heard back from one person though so I'm not going to change it yet though. They're still calling for more information but not as much as before, so that must be good.

message 39: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments That's really exciting! I think I'm too scared to do traditional publishing. Contracts scare me. Me and rules in general don't mix. For some reason I don't like the idea of someone else owning the rights to the book that I've spent countless hours working hard on. It just doesn't sit well with me. Plus, I like digital art so I really want to make my own cover.

Even if you've only heard back from one, that's better than none, right? :) Just keep your spirits up.

I might try traditional publishing with one of my books.... I'm just way unfamiliar with it. Terrified I'll screw something up

message 40: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Oh and that's exciting that they keep calling back for information! I doubt my book would get any responses :p (as it stands right now, it's HORRID)

message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Oh these are just people critiquing my query. I haven't sent it out yet. Just take a few months and do some research on traditional publishing. From what I understand, you'll still have the rights to your books (unless you sign a bad contract).

message 42: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Normally with traditional publishing the author has squat rights to anything. That's what many authors have said. I've been leaning towards self publishing. At least for this book. I might try traditional publishing for my next one

message 43: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Ah, I see. Well, make sure you do your research.

message 44: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Research.. Yes still contracts are intimidating. And it's also best to find an agent I'm aware, correct? There are so many scams these days. I'd probably hand my book over to a fraud who's just looking to steal book ideas or something. I have really bad luck.

message 45: by Stephanie (last edited May 27, 2012 08:20AM) (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments I don't know if it's best but it's probably your best chance to fame. Haha. There are a lot of scams but on the other hand there are a lot of places that help you avoid them. There are sites like AgentQuery.com that have lists of reputable agents. Then there are sites like Writer Beware and Preditors & Editors. And there are reputable agents who blog about things like what to ask your agent before signing with them, etc.

message 46: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Yeah that's true. I've heard of those sights as well. And at the moment, I'm not looking for fame. Just want to get my work out there, and hoping I might make enough money to get myself a hearing aid.

message 47: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Well most people don't become famous either, but more people will probably read it if you go the traditional publishing route too.

message 48: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Yeah it's a good point. ALl the same I'll probably still do self publishing. I just want to do it all myself, and self publishing is simple. It's harder to screw up, and believe me I screw up a lot.

message 49: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Haha. I've come close to self publishing myself so I understand. What's your book about?

message 50: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments It's a medieval setting. The story takes place in a kingdom called Rhaveth.

The protagonist, Madeline, used to have a twin sister. The day before their fourth birthday, a dozen men broke into their house and kidnapped Madeline's little sister. To pull herself out of grief, she decides to do something. When she is four years old, she decides she wants to be a Knight. She concludes that it's the only way she'll have a shot at finding out what happened to her sister. (Knights work in the castle, guarding the princess and/or prince. They have access to unbelievable amounts of intel.)

So, the book follows Madeline's quest to Knighthood and finding her sister.

« previous 1 3