Readers and Reading discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
TV and MOVIES > Fall TV 2010

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 1608 comments Mod
I have finished compiling my list of fall shows to watch. We now have two DVRs and I plan to start programming them next week. I am such a dork! What are you planning to watch?

Here is my list (time, network, premiere date)

MONDAYS

8 DWTS ABC 9/20
9 NBC The Event 9/20
9 Lonestar - FOX 9/20
10 Chase NBC 9/20

TUESDAYS

8 NCIS CBS 9/21
9 DWTS results ABC 9/21
9 Raising Hope FOX 9/21
9:30 Running Wilde/FOX/Keri Russell 9/21
10 NBC Parenthood 9/14
10 The Good Wife CBS 9/28

WEDNESDAYS

9 Modern Family ABC 9/22
9 CBS Criminal Minds 9/22
9 SVU NBC (repeats Sat. at 10) 9/22
10 The Whole Truth (legal) ABC 9/22
10 10 Outlaw (Smits) NBC 9/15
11 TOP CHEF/ JUST DESSERTS – Bravo 9/15

THURSDAYS

8 Bones FOX 9/23
9:30 Outsourced NBC 9/23
9 Grey's ABC 9/23
10 Private Practice ABC

FRIDAYS

9 Body of proof ABC -/Dana Delaney 9/24

SUNDAYS

9 GUILIANA and BILL –STYLE when?
9 Desperate Housewives ABC Sept. 26
10 Brothers and Sisters ABC Sept. 26

mid season replacement - NBC: Harry's Law (Kathy Bates)

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments >>11 TOP CHEF/ JUST DESSERTS – Bravo 9/15<<

I'll be watching this since I've watched all the other Top Chefs over the years. Am interested in what changes they will have to make to accommodate pastry chefs.

I want to try and get the DVDs of season one of Modern Family since it did so well at the Emmys.

The DVD of Modern Family season 1 is being released on Sept. 21. Do you have a DVR, Sandi? Maybe you could start recording the new season until you watch the DVD of season 1. It is a great show!

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I used to watch Top Chef but after the Las Vegas one I got turned off especially when it got down to the guy and the girl.

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "The DVD of Modern Family season 1 is being released on Sept. 21. Do you have a DVR, Sandi? Maybe you could start recording the new season until you watch the DVD of season 1. It is a great show!"

Good idea. I did not realize that the DVD does not comes out until the day before the series premieres.

Robin wrote: "I used to watch Top Chef but after the Las Vegas one I got turned off especially when it got down to the guy and the girl."

I wish I could agree, Robin, but they all blur together in my mind. LOL

That said, last season's competitors were, IMO, far superior to this current season's.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "Robin wrote: "I used to watch Top Chef but after the Las Vegas one I got turned off especially when it got down to the guy and the girl."

I wish I could agree, Robin, but they all blur together in..."

Yeah, there was the one with Marcel the one who always made foamy concoctions much to everyone's irritation. and for the final round they got to come to Hawaii actually the Big Island, I was addicted to those shows, but then it became trite.

I seem to remember specific competitors rather than seasons. I do well remember Marcel and his pompadour!

I watch Top Chef much less ardently than my husband does!

The best part is reading Tom Colicchio's blog the next day.

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/seaso...

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) yes, i do remember marcel and the next season or so a friend of his from vietnam originally won the competition.

message 10: by Reeves (new)

Reeves Honey | 142 comments I have also been thinking about what I will watch this season.
On Sundays I will continue to watch Rubicon only because it is one of the rare things my husband watches that is above pedestrian and we can watch together. Then I will DVR Masterpiece Theater and watch Mad Men as long as it is on.
On Mondays I will watch Antiques Roadshow if it is new and whatever else is on PBS after that or I will DVR that and watch The Event.
I watch the original NCIS on Tuesdays then The Good Wife.
I am not sure what I will watch on Wed. I will have to see the fall schedule which I have not as of yet.
Thursdays maybe V if it comes on then. Or I will DVR it and watch Community. I will then watch The Office and 30 Rock. Not sure what else is on at 10 here. I can't get into Gray's. They feel like actors playing doctors to me. I can't get lost in it like I could ER.
On Friday I will watch Medium.I usually don't watch TV on Saturday nights as I am doing something social.
During the day on Saturdays my guilty pleasure is to watch silly movies on LMN where crazy people just off whoever ticks them off...so convenient.
So I am a dork too and will get dorkyer with my TV/DVR plans as more previews come out!

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) busy, busy so much to see, so little time.

message 12: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) This time of year makes me wish my DVR had a bigger hard drive. As I work several nights I have to watch most shows on delay and I'm so ticked that some shows "fall off the other end" before I get a chance to watch them.

So far I think Raising Hope is a hoot. I don't normally watch sit-coms but this one is such fun. Right up there with Big Bang Theory (the only other one I follow). I will also admit to sticking around to watch $#*! My Dad Says and finding it pretty good, too. Might stick with it a while longer. Outsourced was a little strained as far as the humor goes so I doubt I'll continue with it. I can only DVR 2 shows at a time and there are two others I prefer in that time slot.

Of the new series I'm surprised how much I like the new Hawaii Five-O. Great chemistry between the leads. Especially like Scott Caan and Daniel Dae Kim. The latter has so much more charisma in this than he did in Lost. I liked Detroit 1-8-7. The way they intertwined multiple cases was interesting. The New Law & Order L.A. was a snooze. Did not much like the cast. It lacked the grittiness of the original.

That's about all I liked of the new crop of network shows. Looking forward to Body of Proof mainly because it's filmed here in Rhode Island (standing in for Philadelphia) and my husband works for the RI Film Office so he's visited the studio & sets but not while they actually were filming (yet).

If it weren't for the many returning shows I continue to follow it looks like I'd have plenty of DVR space to play with. Not a stellar new season this year.

message 13: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (missellie49) | 1 comments I like Hawaii Five-O very much. Alex O'Loughlin fits very well in the role. I liked him a lot in Moonlight, and I'm glad to see him with another chance at a show. Scott Caan will be fun to watch. So many of his mannerisms bring his dad to mind. I think the chemistry with the whole cast looks good.
I am so annoyed with what the producers did with Law & Order: CI, that I didn't even give the new Law & Order a try. I haven't even watched SVU yet, but I will soon.
I agree that a triple DVR would be a good thing >g<. Thank goodness for Fancast, Hulu and Xfinity. They make it much easier to catch up on faves we miss.

message 14: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments >>So far I think Raising Hope is a hoot. I don't normally watch sit-coms but this one is such fun.<<

I've been recording Raising Hope but have not watched it yet. I also took JoAnn's advice and am recording Modern Family. I am number twenty on the hold list at the library for the DVD of the first season.

I also watch Top Chef Just Desserts (though Seth is really getting on my nerves), tried Survivor again after not watching for a number of seasons, and am watching The Amazing Race.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather (medtechknitter) There is just to many new shows to see all of them but so far I've watched Lone Star (which has already been canceled). On Wednesday I've always watch the abc comedy line up so I have watched the new one Better with You - wondering if this will make it, but I do like some of the characters. I also watch the drama on abc Wednesday The Whole Truth. I do like the way they tell the story, you always see the truth at the end. I also saw an eposide of Blue Bloods and I'm also interested in Body of Proof.

I have continued to watch my ususal show which all seem to have landed on Monday or Thursday night.

message 16: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Ellie and Sandra....Our new DVR has a much larger hard drive than the old one...I would say 3 times as much space, even when recording in high def.

On the old DVR, I think I could only record 10 hours in high def, but on the new one, it is much much more.

message 17: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

There is not one new show that I am still watching. I gave a few a chance and then deleted them from my list. I even deleted one old show that I had formerly liked, Brothers and Sisters. I could only take so much whining.

message 18: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 81 comments The only new show I would watch is No Ordinary Family because I like superhero shows, but it conflicts with Glee which is a favorite of mine.

message 19: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments I was able to pick up the DVD for Modern Family from my library finally and I watched the first six episodes back to back and really enjoyed them. Manny is a great character and I also think the guy who plays Cameron has great comic timing. I haven't really watched a comedy series on live TV for years but after I catch up with the first season I can watch season two on the DVR and be caught up by the new year.

message 20: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Sandi wrote: "I was able to pick up the DVD for Modern Family from my library finally and I watched the first six episodes back to back and really enjoyed them. .."

I love this show...I record every episode. Glad you got to see and enjoy it.

message 21: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

I am no fan of circuses, have never been to one (or wanted to go), and the only thing I have read about them was Water for Elephants. In fact, clowns freak me out and circuses always seemed kind of sleazy.

But today, we watched CIRCUS, a six-part documentary on PBS and were enthralled. It was so interesting. Here is a link where the first two parts available in their entirety.

http://video.pbs.org/program/1532326637/

In our area, two parts are being shown in two-hour shows, and are repeated.

message 22: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 211 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "I am no fan of circuses, have never been to one (or wanted to go), and the only thing I have read about them was Water for Elephants. In fact, clowns freak me out and circuses always s..."

I am just the opposite. I am fascinated by circuses and the lives of the various performers especially the ones who are born into the business (one of my favorite books on this subject is The Circus at the Edge of the Earth: Travels with the Great Wallenda Circus). I have this series set to record on my DVR and hope to watch it soon.

message 23: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Sandi, I was surprised (but do not know why) at how few of these performers are American (by birth, at least)....and many were, as you said, born into the business.

One of the people in the documentary was a young teacher - her first teaching job was with the children of this circus....from pre-k to 8th grade, I think, taught in a trailer. Challenging.

Lynne in PA/Lineepinee (lineepineeaolcom) | 17 comments I had the circus program on yesterday while cleaning out the file cabinet. Certainly a mixed bag of personalities and a very different way of life.

message 25: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Lynne in PA/Lineepinee wrote: "I had the circus program on yesterday while cleaning out the file cabinet. Certainly a mixed bag of personalities and a very different way of life."

A very mixed bag, for sure.

Being the OCD-ish person that I am, I kept marveling at how the logistics of such an operation are handled.

message 26: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 81 comments I love reading circus novels when they are told from the perspective of an insider. Outsider novels like Water For Elephants and A Son of the Circus don't work for me.

I wish I had the time to watch the circus documentary series, but my library school semester is too intense.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.