Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's August Reads 1/4

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (last edited Sep 04, 2010 01:03PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments When August started, I was still on summer vacation so there are still a significant number of reads.

1)Lady of the Butterflies by Fiona Mountain (historical fiction)530 pages. Source: Library Started: 8/1 Finished: 8/4

Why Read: I first noticed this book because of its GR giveaway. It's about a 17th century English noblewoman who studied butterflies. This was not acceptable in England at the time.

Comments: Eleanor Glanville, the MC, didn't care about being acceptable. She only cared about the people and things that she loved. I wish we could have seen what happened to Eleanor after the end of the novel. I would have liked to know of her adventures. Rating A-

2.Chaos Bitesby Lori Handeland (urban fantasy) 337 pages. Source: drugstore Started: 8/5 Finished: 8/8

Why Read: I don't like the concept of Armageddon that dominates this series, but I like the MC, Elizabeth Phoenix, and some of the ancillary characters. This was also handy book for "the sword on the cover" category in the Urban Fantasy group challenge. I am reading this out of order. I've only read the first book in this series, and this is the fourth. I have the earlier two somewhere.

Comments: I was unenthusiastic about this series after reading the first book. Now I don't even like Liz Phoenix so much. She has some good guidance and doesn't pay attention to it. I found this book readable, but not likable. Rating C-

3)Curse of the Pogo Stickby Colin Cotterill(mystery) 240 pages. Source: Library Started: 8/8 Finished: 8/9

Why Read: This is another in the Dr. Siri series that started with The Coroner's Lunch. This one looked good. It deals with the Hmong who were my favorite part of The Coroner's Lunch.

Comments: Not good as I hoped. There were what I considered to be cliches in the portrayal of Hmong culture. There was one really great line though. "Soon there will be nothing left to call bunk except politics." That's quite a statement in a Communist environment like the one in this book. But still I'm going to give this book a B-

4.In the Shadow of the Cypressby Thomas Steinbeck (contemporary/historical fiction) 246 pages. Source: Library Started: 8/9 Finished: 8/10

Why Read: If I hadn't already read 1421: The Year China Discovered Americaby Gavin Menzies I would have been floored by the premise of this book. A novel dealing with possible evidence of ancient Chinese presence is charming. It lays out a scenario that explains why evidence hasn't surfaced. I figured out what had happened to it early. Although I liked some of the characters, this novel will neither sink nor swim on the merits of its characterization. It is primarily a book of ideas, and the ideas seem derivative. Rating B

He mentions the Olmec heads. I'd be interested in a book about them.

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Shomeret:
It is high praise when you want to know what happens with a character after a book is over. I realize that defines a series, but in reality it doesn't quite -- when we want to know what happens next, it is often that we want them to stay connected because their lives became part of our own. High praise indeed.
;)
Shomeret wrote: "When August started, I was still on summer vacation so there are still a significant number of reads.
1)Lady of the Butterflies by Fiona Mountain (historical fiction)530 pages.
Comments: Eleanor Glanville, the MC, didn't care about being acceptable. She only cared about the people and things that she loved. I wish we could have seen what happened to Eleanor after the end of the novel. I would have liked to know of her adventures. Rating A-"