History: Actual, Fictional and Legendary discussion

Current Topic - Napoleonic Wars > The Egyptian Campaigns: 1798-1801

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed, Chief Curmudgeon (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 622 comments Mod
Here are some ideas for discussion:

1. Why did France invade Egypt in the first place?

2. How did 25,000 French troops defeat 125,000 Egyptians and Arabs in the battle for Cairo?

3. How did Nelson defeat the French fleet in the Battle of the Nile?

4. What was the impact on the French of the defeat.

5. What impact did the plague have on the French troops and what role did Napoleon play in holding his army together?

6. Why did Napoleon leave Egypt and attack Syria?

7. Why did Napoleon return to France and leave his army in Egypt?

message 2: by Ed, Chief Curmudgeon (last edited Sep 12, 2010 09:20PM) (new)

I have often wondered why Egypt has been such a target of conquerers over the centuries. Anyone out there have an opinion?

message 3: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Well a center for a fabulous ancient civilization and strategically, given the Suez Canal an important link to other countries. Natural resouces...... I haven't read The Black Nile: One Man's Amazing Journey Through Peace and War on the World's Longest River or No One Sleeps In Alexandria, but I am sure I could give a better answer if I read these.

message 4: by Ed, Chief Curmudgeon (new)

Chrissie wrote: "Well a center for a fabulous ancient civilization and strategically, given the Suez Canal an important link to other countries. Natural resouces...... I haven't read [book:The Black Nile: One Man's..."

The Suez canal is a very recent development, late 19th century. Many invasions of Egypt happened before that.

message 5: by Kendall (new)

Kendall (kendallfurlong) | 21 comments Putting Suez before the Nile is a case of denial.

message 6: by Chrissie (last edited Sep 13, 2010 03:10AM) (new)

Chrissie Ed and Kendall, of course, but I didn't interpret the question in message 2 as only relating to the Napoleonic Wars. Even befor the construction of the Suez Canal, the Nile was a, important juncture point between East and West. Is that wrong?

message 7: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Crazy Cat Lady (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 310 comments Mod
In ancient times - because it was fantastically rich. Certainly why the Romans went there.

message 8: by Ed, Chief Curmudgeon (new)

Kendall wrote: "Putting Suez before the Nile is a case of denial."

KENDALL WINS THE PUN OF THE MONTH AWARD.

message 9: by Ed, Chief Curmudgeon (new)

Chrissie wrote: "Ed and Kendall, of course, but I didn't interpret the question in message 2 as only relating to the Napoleonic Wars. Even befor the construction of the Suez Canal, the Nile was a, important junctur..."

No you are not wrong at all.

The Nile's importance was as a supplier of soil so people could farm the river sides after the annual flood. It also was a highway to the Southern regions of Egypt and the African interior. It could also be used as a highway for invasion.

I'm sure there are other reasons for it's importance, also.

message 10: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Ed, by daring to open my mouth and make mistakes I can learn more. Hopefully :0)

message 11: by Ed, Chief Curmudgeon (new)

Chrissie wrote: "Ed, by daring to open my mouth and make mistakes I can learn more. Hopefully :0)"

I don't think you made a mistake. You just neglected some stuff that you had no way of knowing. If you can't say things on this site that others may not always agree with, then I've missed my goal in setting it up in the first place.