Delirity discussion

Author S > Ghostland World - J. Strong

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Sep 03, 2010 11:56PM) (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
Ghostland (Ghostland World, #1) by Jory Strong Spider-Touched (Ghostland World, #2) by Jory Strong Healer's Choice (Ghostland World, #3) by Jory Strong

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 185 comments I have read the first one and liked it and have the second one in my TBR pile.....I keep meaning to get to it but I get sidetracked by other books ;-)

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I like these, they are erotica, so if that is not your thing, then skip them. What I like most about them is the world that the stories are set in. I am looking forward to the 3rd one.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Damn, I was really looking forward to them. Thanks for the warning, Darcy.

message 5: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments They are still good, but don't go in thinking it will just be a mild love scene.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 185 comments Darcy wrote: "I like these, they are erotica, so if that is not your thing, then skip them. What I like most about them is the world that the stories are set in. I am looking forward to the 3rd one."

I really like the world she set these in.....I need to get my butt in gear and read the second one....

message 7: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments I was going to read them too, but then I read they were erotica so I didn't. I might try the first, but I'm not sure if I would want to.

message 8: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments If you read them Carrie let us know what you think.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Ummm....wow... incredibly descriptive. I haven't heard some of these phrases before. I'm enjoying the plot, otherwise I'd be too embarrassed to read further. It's not like anything has been exceptionally different (so far at least), it's just very, VERY descriptive.

message 10: by Jasmine (last edited Oct 05, 2010 12:14PM) (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments At first I thought that these were YA books for some reason. I guess from the covers. O.o

message 11: by Heather (new)

To me it seems like some of her choice descriptive phrases are a little vulgar. Is this normal for the genre? It's definitely not very flowery like PNR.
Jasmine - I thought they were YA at first too. Boy was I wrong.

message 12: by Jasmine (last edited Oct 05, 2010 12:54PM) (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments What genre is this exactly? I always get confused between Urban Fantasy and Paranormal. . .and you mention how the NH series was classified as romance in a different topic. . .I don't get that either. I thought most PNR books generally had romance in them. . .

message 13: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments These books are definitely erotica. It does seem like erotica uses more of the not overly flowery descriptive words.

But overall I would classify these as not for Jasmine for at least 5 years. :P

message 14: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments ahah *requests it from the library* ;)

message 15: by Heather (new)

*Vulgar might be an inappropriate word. I thought of a better one a few hours ago, but it's not coming into my mind now that I'm in front of a computer.

Technically, according to the description, Urban Fantasy just has to be a fantasy novel that takes place in an urban area. Kate Daniels - Atlanta. They can have elements of other genre, most of which we read in this group are romance. When I said NH was romance it's because that's where you'll find it in the book store. It's not listed under fantasy/sci-fi. It's PNR.
Generally UF and PNR follow patterns described by Stacia, but that's because of how writers write, not how it's officially designated. UF doesn't have to have any romance in it whatsoever. PNR is all about the romance. The man saving the girl or vice versa. They characters tend to spend almost all of their time together. If you notice in Kate, Curran's not around a lot. The story is about her, who happens to have something building with Curran on the side. They get together and interact, but the main focus of the story is Kate kicking ass. Although, as the books progress he does come into play a bit more (...making us like them more). That's why you'll find Kate in Sci-Fi/ Fantasy instead of Romance.

message 16: by Heather (new)

I liked the book. I don't like the erotica aspects of it, but I knew I wouldn't going into it since it's just not the genre for me. Outside of that, the plot was different and I found it interesting. I like the world that was created. Although, I learned some new descriptive words I didn't need...

message 17: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I just finished the 3rd one, and this one doesn't have the erotica edge to it, there is more story. I think you will like it better than the other 2 Heather.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments I forgot to mention that I tried the first book and ended up shelving it as unfinished. At some point I might go back and try it again, but the world building was too similar to Unholy Ghosts at first and I got frustrated quickly.

message 19: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments It is funny you mention that series Stacia. I really like this one, but couldn't finish Unholy Ghosts.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 185 comments Darcy wrote: "It is funny you mention that series Stacia. I really like this one, but couldn't finish Unholy Ghosts."

I could not finish Unholy Ghosts either....

message 21: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments It seems like that is one book where you either love it or hate it, not any middle ground.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments I think you're right because there's either the camp of us that had a hard time with it, or the camp of people that list it as one of their favorites ever.

message 23: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 432 comments I agree, I found that I didn't really like Strong's book, but the Unholy Ghosts series is one of my favs...interesting

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 185 comments There is a 4th story to the Ghost World series in Primal (Breeds, #23; Nightshade, #1.5) by Lora Leigh ..I think it may be the conclusion to the series....but I am not positive on that...

message 25: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I didn't know she had a story in that one Nicole. It makes me look forward even more to reading it.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 185 comments I need to hurry up and get to Healers Touch so I can start the one in Primal....to many books to read and not enough hours in the day......

There is also an Ava Gray story in there I think it is from the "Skin" series....

message 27: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments It is rare that I read every story in an anthology, I usually just read the authors I am already reading, but this one I will be reading all of it.

message 28: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments I thought that this was a YA book. And was extra super wrong. That first sex scene was...startling with its word choices. I've read erotica before (There's this series that does takes on fairy tales. super hot) but when I'm not expecting it my delicate sensibilities go all a flutter. I finished this sucker, but I'm still not sure if I liked it or not. Didn't know it was a series though.

message 29: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I can see where this book would be disconcerting when you go into it thinking it was YA Tya.