Delirity discussion

Author C > The Parasol Protectorate - G. Carriger

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Feb 24, 2011 10:41AM) (new)

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
What is steampunk?

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 03, 2010 11:45PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments Wikipedia says :

Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, alternate history, and speculative fiction, that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes fictional works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era Britain—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, often featuring anachronistic technology or futuristic innovations as the people of this historical period would have envisioned them to look like, i.e. based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc. This technology may include fictional machines like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer, but occurring at an earlier date.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Why do we have to complicate things by labeling everything? Paranormal, Fantasy, and Sci-Fi were good enough for me. Start talking about the differences between music from alternative death metal and you'll lose me for good.

message 5: by Heather (new)

I was just going to ask about Clockwork Angel.

I just realized that that comment officially makes me old. (Whimper)
Although, I guess if I'm pouting I'm old without having grown up.

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan is steampunk. I listened to the audiobook and really liked it. The war part was a bit much for me, not particularly into war stories. I like the characters and main story line. Of course, I was somewhat bothered by the ethical issues with blending animals with machine. Obviously not bothered enough to stop reading! Looking forward to the next book in the series.

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I should be getting Blameless soon. I really want the cliffhanger from book 2 resolved!

message 8: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I tried this series and didn't care for it. I have also tried a couple others that Stacia listed but didn't care for those either. I just think this whole genre isn't for me.

message 9: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I'm going to read Blameless tomorrow.

message 10: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I have a steampunk collection on my Nook. I haven't read a lot of it, but it does have a different feel to it IMO. I always considered His Dark Materials to be a bit steampunk.

I keep meaning to try this series, but I haven't yet. I have the first book. Maybe I will use it for my October pink read.

message 11: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I read book #3 Blameless this weekend and loved it. The major cliffhanger from book #2 Changeless was taken care of and there's a slight one in book #3 but not like the major one that had me screaming at the end of book #2. (Huh?) Fantastic book.

message 12: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 89 comments Just started this series and I'm not feeling it. It's lighthearted and I kind of like that but the English cozy thing isn't getting me. Thanks to earlier explanations, I now understand steampunk. But I still don't get the attraction. I'm not into period pieces. BTW I could NOT get into His Dark Materials either. I guess this sub genre just isn't for me.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 185 comments I listened to the audio on the first book....I don't think I could have finished it if I was reading. It was interesting but did not grab me enough to make me want to go on to the next book

message 14: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I loved the sarcastic tone throughout the book. There was always something funny being said, or some look. I just cracked up throughout.

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I am reading Blameless now and am enjoying the book. I like that the action starts early in the book, no dawdling.

message 16: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 10, 2010 09:32PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments I finished the book tonight. It was okay, but not great. The author bugged me a bit at how much she kept describing how plain the heroine was over and over.

I wanted it to be either more steampunk, or more PNR. Instead I got Scotland Yard and Victorian mating Etiquette.

The story wasn't bad, it just wasn't a wow for me either. I actually like historicals and sci-fi, so it wasn't the genre switch that threw me off.

message 17: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments I absolutely love this series! The author had my interest immediately. The books were full of so many laugh out loud moments and heart wrenching escapades that it was the perfect balance for me.

I find the characters to be very lovable and each has their own special personality. Alexia was a great heroine in my opinion and with her trusty parasol (which happened to have a solution for every predicament)she seemed to handle every situation with her lovable dry humour!

After the cliff hanger in book two... I cried out in anguish when I couldn't gobble up the third book right away. Now that the third book is gone I find myself sad at yet another long wait for a book I need now!

message 18: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. Me too Jessica. I just love this series.

message 19: by Heather (new)

I got this one from the library, but I can't find the urge to pick it up since there are so many extreme opinions.

message 20: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I've just re-read an Agatha Christie book and although Gail Carriger's humor is more over-the-top, it's runs along the same vein with under the breath comments and looks and the way the characters think they come across one way when they actually come across another. They're both very funny.

message 21: by Heather (new)

Okay, after hearing so many bad things I'm pleasantly surprised. Although, I'm not done so there are plenty of opportunities for it to go wrong. What I like about it is that it actually feels Victorian. Clockwork Angel may have had the clothes and the scenery of the era, but a lot of their speech patterns and other little tidbits just felt too modern. IMO, it felt as if she wrote a more modern story and threw it in the past. This story is actually feels right.
I never had any urge to pick this book up, but it's a group read for another group I'm in and you all know I've been whining all month about having to read it. I rather like Lord Maccon.

***Spoiler***

...Although, anyone who sits on a hedgehog should be punished. I hope the poor cutie was okay. (I've always wanted one.)

message 22: by Heather (new)

Darn it! I've done it again! I've read the intro to book 2 before finishing book 1 had something major spoiled. You'd think I'd learn, but impatience is a horrible trait.

message 23: by Heather (new)

I can speak Italian, but for some reason I want to pronounce her name like Tara"booty" instead of the right way. Anyone else have that issue, or am I just crazy?

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I wasn't exactly sure how to pronounce Alexia's last name. Unless I heard a word, I'm always iffy on pronouncing it.

Spoiler ****

I don't remember the hedgehog sitting. I'll have to look it up. I will come out against sitting on hedgehogs, though. They are so cute!

message 25: by Heather (new)

It didn't happen in the book. It was refered to as their first meeting.

message 26: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. Don't read book #2 until you have book #3 right in front of you. Giant cliffhanger in book #2.

message 27: by Heather (new)

My library doesn't have book 3. This is going to suck.

message 28: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I'd hold off until you have #3. If you don't, you'll be doing a lot of screaming at the end of book #2.

message 29: by Heather (new)

Maybe I'll end up downloading it if it bothers me too much.

message 30: by Heather (new)

I'm on book 3. I enjoyed book 2, but liked the first one better. The banter was still there, but it didn't seem to be as fun as it was when you first met the characters. Also, I'm getting tired of the language. I think it's because I'm reading them in a row. I would be fine with it if I had to wait for a new book like for 6 months to a year like everyone else.
I think I'm just tired and on book overload.

message 31: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq geez.. you guys are fast readers.. i just got these books and didnt know whether to start...

message 32: by Heather (last edited Oct 17, 2010 12:06AM) (new)

You should give book 1 a try.

It's taken my 2 days a piece to read the last 2 books I had. I'm slowing down. Although, I'm putting more hours at work so that makes a difference. And sleeping more. (Although, I'm screwing that up by being up at 3am.) When Fable III comes out I'll probably stop reading for a week. It's the only video game I'll play and I'm a bit obsessed with it. I think I need a break for a few days though.

message 33: by Heather (last edited Oct 17, 2010 12:07AM) (new)

Does anyone else want to strangle Miss. Hesselpenny?
Esp. in book 2?

message 34: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) That's Ivy, correct? I think she gets better later in book 3. She does irritate one a bit.

message 35: by Heather (new)

Ya, Ivy.

I got stuck watching the MMA fights too. I read through most of it.

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela B I am suppose to read the first one as my awareness challenge but I went and got so behind this month who knows now

message 37: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments Has anyone been keeping up with these? I finished the last one a few weeks ago but I was pretty bored with it and basically skimmed the last few chapters to see how everything panned out. I'm not a parent, but I was a little shocked with the whole baby business that was going on towards the beginning. No wonder this one was called Heartless, I didn't like anyone this time around.

message 38: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments I have been keeping up with these. I actually really love this series. I'm not sure what it is but I love Alexia and Lord Maccon and even all of the other odd ball characters as well. I'm really looking forward to the next book to see what happens with the infant inconvenience.