SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

RIP: Dead/Expired Threads > September 7th - Nat'l Buy a Book Day

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28256 comments I've seen several posts around the web & GoodReads about "National Buy a Book Day", so I thought I'd share.

Post from Goodreads' Thread :
September 7: National Buy a Book Day

Here’s all you have to do:

1. Spread the word in any way you can (GoodReads, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
2. On September 7, 2010 go to any bookstore anywhere and buy one new, full price book.

Just that easy.

Why a new book?
So the author receives full royalty, and both the publisher and the bookstore receive their full profit.

Will any book do?
YES! Any book, by any author, in any genre, in any format. You do not need to spend more than you can afford. A $7.99 mass market paperback counts. A $4.99 children’s book counts.

Will any store do?
YES! As long as the book is new and full price, buy it from an indie, from a chain, in the suburbs or the city, whatever.

How can I make an even bigger impact?
Make sure that the book you’re buying is by a living author, so we can encourage people who are writing now to keep writing,
Buy more than one book. One book is all I’m asking, but if you can afford two, buy two, or three, or . . .
Buy your book at a store you particularly like, in an area that has few bookstores, that otherwise supports your community, or you know is struggling.

WHY?

The publishing business, including authors and retailers big and small are continuing to struggle. They say Borders is going to lay off more people. It’s looking like the end of the world. Books are worth saving. Authors are worth supporting. Any town is always better having any bookstore in it. People who work in bookstores are literate, intelligent book lovers, and the world is a better place if they have a place to ply their trade. I love books, and I love book people—all books, and all book people.

It’s time to walk the walk.

SPREAD THE WORD!

"Grasping for the Wind" blog also has info on the day to buy and why we should share the joy of reading a book with others.

message 2: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments Unfortunately, I don't need a special day to buy a book, any day with a 'y' in it will do. LOL.

message 3: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28256 comments LOL! I hear ya!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 468 comments My bf and I are going to do this. I love books anyway but I am guilty of going for a good deal. I buy on Kindle, Amazon or thrift stores. I love to go to the bookstores though so I will find something. :)

message 5: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments Good on you Awesomevegan!

I must admit that Book Depository has been getting a lot of business from me lately, and they're all new shiny books. So I'm covered.

message 6: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Sandra wrote: "Unfortunately, I don't need a special day to buy a book, any day with a 'y' in it will do. LOL."

DITTO!!!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 468 comments I ended up getting Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke. It is a special edition and in hardcover so it wasn't cheap. Granted it wasn't that expensive compared to some it is more than I am used to paying since I get so many books on Kindle or in thrift stores. She is a favorite of mine though. She is a German author and still living. The book is in English though.(translated) Her work is mostly not available in ebook/Kindle format so I buy her work in paper. I have read the Inkheart trilogy and have Thief Lord but I haven't read it yet.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dragon Rider (other topics)