Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive > Don't Cry for Me Argentina...just leave a quote!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Here is the place to leave a quote from page 46 of your Latin America read.

BTW, I will have to hand the reins for quote topics over to my sister for October and November. I am having surgery and will be out of commission for 2 months. Note to Oct and Nov shelf pickers...choose something good. I will have LOTS of time to read! LOL

message 2: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments 2 months! Yikes!! I hope it all goes well - in addition to giving you lots of time to read!

And, as usual, I LOVE your topic title!!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2826 comments Mod
Yes - and I will be taking care of her so she will have input! I hope to also have lots of time to read while she is reading. LOL.

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Lynne- I hope the surgery goes well! We will be thinking about you guys throughout those months!

message 5: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Thanks for the good wishes. Nothing life threAtening, just iritating. Lucky I have such a great sister to help out!

It is going to cost you though, lol.

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina | 232 comments Love the topic title Lynne! Sorry to hear about your surgery. Way to reframe it into a positive experience by saying you'll get in lots of reading time. :) Hope your recovery goes fast and smooth!

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3450 comments Mod
The House on Mango Street:

Six-thirty already and my little cousin's baptism is over. All day waiting, the door locked, don't open up for nobody, and I don't till Mama gets back and buys everything except the shoes.
Now Uncle Nacho is coming in his car, and we have to hurry to get to Precious Blood Church quick because that's where the baptism party is, in the basement rented for today for dancing and tamales and everyone's kids running all over the place.

message 9: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) From page 44 of Bless Me, Ultima:

"It is in the blood of the Lunasto be quiet, for only a quiet man can learn the secrets of the earth that are necessary for planting- They are quiet like the moon- And it is in the blood of the Marez to be wild, like the ocean from which they take their name, and the spaces of the llano that have become their home."

I waited, then said. "Now we have come to live near the river, and yet near the llano. I love them both, and yet I am of neither. I wonder which life I will choose?"

message 10: by Lynne (last edited Sep 07, 2010 07:43PM) (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) I have to put this quote from Bless Me, Ultima as well because it reminds me so much of how I feel when I go to my parents house or to Lake Tahoe with my family:

"Deborah!" my mother was calling, "are the bags packed? Is Theresa ready?" Although El Puerto was only ten miles down the valley, this trip was the only one we ever took and it meant a great deal to my mother. It was the only time during the year when she was with her brothers, then she was a Luna again."

message 11: by Susan (new)

"I started up the street where I had first searched for curbs to stencil. I took a right on the street where I helped the old dude with the air conditioner and was surprised to see a knot of people. There was an ambulance idling in the driveway and a monstrous fire engine. As I slowly approached the house, they were rolling a gurney down the driveway. The old man was lying there, with twin tubes in his nostrils. His wife followed him, crying behind her sunglasses, crying when only two weeks ago she had been jumping on him because she had promised the air conditioner to some woman named Barbara."

from Burning Onions by Gary Soto

message 12: by Susan (new)

There are some wonderful quotes in The Absent City, but they're not on p. 46.

p. 73, "There was a strange disparity of consciousness in what was occurring. Everything was normal, and yet the danger could be felt in the air, a low alarming murmur, as if the city were about to be bombarded. Everyday life goes on in the middle of the horror, that is what keeps many people sane. The signs of death and terror can be perceived, but there is no clear evidence of behavior being altered."

message 13: by Susan (new)

I was so busy looking at the girls that I didn't even realize I was walking until I got halfway across the floor to where the teacher and the girls were standing. Then I got close enough to see that all-alone girl's eyes and she was looking right at me and not even pretending she wasn't. I stopped walking and just stood there looking at her, and I'm not kidding, the lights in the gym brightened up like the sun was shining down from the basketball hoop.

Muchacho

message 14: by Susan (new)

from Pedro Páramo:

"Sounds. Voices. Murmurs. Distant singing:
My sweetheart gave me a lace-bordered handkerchief to dry my tears ...
High voices. As if it were women singing.

I watched the carts creaking by. The slowly moving oxen. The crunching of stones beneath the wheels. The men, seeming to doze."

message 15: by Crystal (new)

Crystal from Dreaming in Cuban

Celia leads the twins away from the house on Palmas Street. The girls do not speak, but their thoughts tumble together like gems in the polishing, reaching their hard conclusions.

message 16: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments From The Library of Babel by Jorge Luis Borges:

The Library exists ab aeterno. No reasonable mind can doubt this truth, whose immediate corollary is the future eternity of the world. Man, the imperfect librarian, may be the work of chance or of malevolent demiurges; the universe, with its elegant endowment of shelves, of enigmatic volumes, of indefatigable ladders for the voyager, and of privies for the seated librarian, can only be the work of a god.

(I looked up ab aeterno and found out that it means "from eternity" in Latin. The phrase is used to mean "since the beginning" or "for long ages." And, I hadn't remembered it, but there is an episode of the TV show Lost called ab aeterno, which suddenly made me even more interested in the above quote.)

message 17: by Susan (new)

From "The Circular Ruins", in Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges:

The purpose which guided him was not impossible, though it was supernatural. He wanted to dream a man: he wanted to dream him with minute integrity and insert him into reality. This magical project had exhausted the entire content of his soul. ...

Monsieur Pain by Roberto Bolaño:

"I went into a cafe: the roof, the walls, the tables, the seats, everything was green. As if the proprietor had, in a fit of madness, tried to give it a jungle-like ambiance or, as I later thought, endeavored to camouflage the premises, and partly succeeded, although in a way that was clearly inept."

message 19: by Susan (last edited Sep 30, 2010 07:49AM) (new)

How Tía Lola Came to (Visit) Stay by Julia Alvarez

"¡Hola!" Tía Lola greets everyone as she walks in the door. Farmers in work clothes and professors from the college, grading papers, and teenagers with purple hair grin at the friendly woman. Little babies sitting in high chairs reach out their hands, motioning for Tía Lola to carry them. Only one customer, a sour-looking man in a uniform, sitting at a corner table, glowers at Tía Lola as if her friendliness were a public disturbance.