Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's August

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Known to Evil Known to Evil (Leonid McGill, #2) by Walter Mosley by Walter Mosley

This is the second in the series featuring Leonid McGill, ex-con, ex-fighter, fixer extraordinaire. His secret and very high-placed sometime client hires him to find a young woman, and he is forbidden to know why. Meanwhile, Leonid's young son Dmitri has disappeared, and his former lover has taken up with someone else. This is a hardboiled and enjoyable walk along the underbelly of New York. Mosley can be counted on to introduce you to characters you won't find in any other books.

The Magicians The Magicians by Lev Grossman by Lev Grossman

I started out skeptical of this book that begins more or less as the Harry Potter series does, in terms of how MC Quinton begins his "career" as a magician. There were a couple of "copycat" elements, and I found myself wondering if these elements were typical of magic/wizardry books the way a femme fatale is a typical element of an old school P.I. novel. But eventually I was drawn into the compelling story and it's equally dark, magical and slightly gloomier plot. I don't think I'd continue with these characters and their adventures in their modern day and fantasy worlds, but I wound up finding this an entertaining read.

Stalked Stalked (Jonathan Stride, # 3) by Brian Freeman by Brian Freeman

I enjoyed this book despite it having some formulaic aspects - serial killer, many twists, MC in mortal danger. The Duluth PD is searching for a rapist/murderer who may have killed Maggie's husband. Once again Freeman finds a way to make sex a character in the book.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Carol:
The Magicians sounds interesting, especially as we go through Harry Potter withdrawal, with no new books to anticipate. Thanks for the assessment of this similarly presented book!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "The Magicians by Lev Grossman
I started out skeptical of this book that begins more or less as the Harry Potter series does, in terms of how MC Quinton begins his "career" as a magician. There were a couple of "copycat" elements, and I found myself wondering if these elements were typical of magic/wizardry books the way a femme fatale is a typical element of an old school P.I. novel. But eventually I was drawn into the compelling story and it's equally dark, magical and slightly gloomier plot.."

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments I haven't read a Mosley in awhile. I still have BLONDE FAITH in The Pile. I read one or 2 of his Fearless Jones books, but didn't like them as much as Easy Rawlins.

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Hmm, I'm trying to think why not. Maybe because the MC, Paris Minton (Fearless is a dominant but not main character in the series), has a life that at least initially isn't as multi-faceted as Easy's. Leonid McGill is a more tormented character but he has a wife, three children, and ex-lover he's still hung up on, and lots of complicated relationships with the characters who surround him. He also has that hold-your-breath antagonistic relationship with the police, because he's an ex-con.

Melodie wrote: "I haven't read a Mosley in awhile. I still have BLONDE FAITH in The Pile. I read one or 2 of his Fearless Jones books, but didn't like them as much as Easy Rawlins."

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Carol and Melodie:
I have read three of Mosley's books: Two Easy Rawlins books, Bad Boy Brawly Brown, and Little Scarlet and Killing Johnny Fry. I should read more!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Hmm, I'm trying to think why not. Maybe because the MC, Paris Minton (Fearless is a dominant but not main character in the series), has a life that at least initially isn't as multi-faceted as Easy's..."

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments Ann wrote: "Carol and Melodie:
I have read three of Mosley's books: Two Easy Rawlins books, Bad Boy Brawly Brown, and Little Scarlet and Killing Johnny Fry. I should read more!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Hmm, I'm ..."

I loved the Easy Rawlins books, especially the early ones like A Red Death and White Butterfly: An Easy Rawlins Mystery.

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 180 comments I loved the Easy Rawlins books, especially the early ones like A Red Death and White Butterfly: An Easy Rawlins Mystery.
..."

I've read a bunch of the Easy Rawlins books and liked them but I haven't liked any of his others. One stand-alone I read was really, really weird.

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Cathy (Catsluvbooks) wrote: "
I've read a bunch of the Easy Rawlins books and liked them but I haven't liked any of his others. One stand-alone I read was really, really weird. ..."

I've liked all his series but some of the standalones lost me.