Great Books for Christians discussion

Disagreements with the BoS > Instructions for this folder

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (gerbs) Use this folder to share any quotes or ideas that you disagree with author on.

[nb: remember to read with grace, and disagree with love]

message 2: by Al (new)

Al Garlando (algarlando) | 5 comments This is not so much a "gripe" about the content of the book, but the structure.
This book uses End Notes and positions them at the end of the book.
Whilst that makes the chapters more pleasing to the eye from a layout perspective, given the amount of referencing that is taking place and that this is a book dependent on references, authoritative views/explanations/etc I personally would have preferred footnotes at the bottom of the page. You don't have to read them, but sometimes it's good to be able to glance down and see where the information was drawn from in case I want to pursue it further.

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (gerbs) Al wrote: "This is not so much a "gripe" about the content of the book, but the structure.
This book uses End Notes and positions them at the end of the book.
Whilst that makes the chapters more pleasing to ..."

Absoulely. When authors do this it always seems like they are trying to hide something (but I'm sure Tim K is not ... it just seems that way).
I'm reading a biography at the moment that has only endnotes PLUS it doen't have any refernece numbers in the text. So you don't know which parts of the narrative are based on fact or fiction (until you look in the endnote to see if there is a reference to it).