science and buddhism discussion

New age fiction?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by PJ (new)

PJ Swanwick (pjswanwick) | 6 comments There's a lot of great nonfiction available about metaphysical/new age/new thought/mindfulness/zen topics, but what about fiction? What are you all reading?

I really liked "The Art of Racing in the Rain," but it's reincarnation/mindfulness subtheme is fairly muted. "The Celestine Prophecy" is a start, I suppose, except that it's not very well written.

What fiction are you reading that fills your soul?

message 2: by Juliane (new)

Juliane Roell (julianeroell) | 2 comments Dune (Dune 1) by Frank Herbert
I found the Dune Trilogy amazing. The main character's personality and spirituality and the storyline around clear perception / intuition / free will vs. fate really spoke to me.

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria R | 1 comments Pam wrote: "There's a lot of great nonfiction available about metaphysical/new age/new thought/mindfulness/zen topics, but what about fiction? What are you all reading?

I really liked "The Art of Racing in ..."

The Alchemist
I recently read The Alchemist. I didn't love it as much as some did, but it is thought provoking. Lessons are learned by doing ordinary things and experience is the greatest teacher both resonated with me.

message 4: by PJ (new)

PJ Swanwick (pjswanwick) | 6 comments I like Paulo Cohello, but I find him a little boring as a writer. I've read three of his books, including "The Alchemist," but none of them really gripped me as good fiction. However, he's enormously popular, for some reason.

And yes, I loved all of "Dune"! And pretty much anything from Frank Herbert. But who are the new sci fi/new age authors? I'll keep you posted if I find any more.

message 5: by PJ (new)

PJ Swanwick (pjswanwick) | 6 comments Sounds interesting. Are you the author?

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie MacDonald (lotussupernova) | 1 comments So what are some good book titles for someone like myself just beginning a Buddha-like path?

message 7: by Juliane (last edited Oct 03, 2010 05:37PM) (new)

Juliane Roell (julianeroell) | 2 comments Island by Aldous Huxley
I also very much enjoyed Huxley's "Island". In it, he describes a Utopian society based on Mahayana Buddhist ideas.

message 8: by PJ (new)

PJ Swanwick (pjswanwick) | 6 comments Stephanie wrote: "So what are some good book titles for someone like myself just beginning a Buddha-like path?"

I'm not sure of new fiction, but there's a bunch of older fiction that I love: The Way of the Peaceful Warrior is a great place to start, as well as Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. All of Richard Bach's (earlier) books, particularly Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah and One. I'm at work, but I'll check my bookshelves tonight for you. And let me know of any you find!

message 9: by PJ (new)

PJ Swanwick (pjswanwick) | 6 comments Martin wrote: "Island by Aldous Huxley
I also very much enjoyed Huxley's "Island". In it, he describes a Utopian society based on Mahayana Buddhist ideas."

Sounds interesting. Thanks.