Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Best YA Villains?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kait (new)

Kait Nolan (kaitnolan) Okay peeps, I need SUGGESTIONS! I want to know what YA books you think have the BEST VILLAINS!

Please, let's get beyond Harry Potter. Love me some Voldemort and he was well done, but I'm wanting to try new stuff and we've all READ HP already.

What immediately springs to my mind is Valentine from The Mortal Instruments Boxed Set: City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass.

Who else in what other books?

message 2: by Alyssa (last edited Sep 03, 2010 01:48PM) (new)

Alyssa (shyluck13) | 124 comments Good question...
The evil doer scientists in Darkest Powers. The Edison Group The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong . Cruel people, really.

message 3: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Personally, my favorite villain in YA to date is in the Skinjacker series starting with Everlost (Skinjacker, #1) by Neal Shusterman . I won't tell you who it is, otherwise it will ruin the series for you, but it's brilliant!

message 4: by Kait (new)

Kait Nolan (kaitnolan) Becca wrote: "Personally, my favorite villain in YA to date is in the Skinjacker series starting with Everlost (Skinjacker, #1) by Neal Shusterman. I won't tell you who it is, otherwise it will ruin the series for you, but it's ..."

Oh now that's interesting. I've never heard of that one before. Thanks!

message 5: by Kait (new)

Kait Nolan (kaitnolan) Alyssa wrote: "Good question...
The evil doer scientists in Darkest Powers. The Edison Group The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong. Cruel people, really."

Yep, just finished those last month :D

message 6: by Kait (new)

Kait Nolan (kaitnolan) Stacia wrote: "Valentine is a good one. I haven't really read any books with "strong" villains lately. Maybe authors need to start bringing them back! "

YES! I'm working on a new YA WIP myself and find myself struggling with the villain. I realized I haven't really READ any great YA villains lately. I'm hoping there are some I missed!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Kait, I'm glad you put that snippet in about Voldemort because honestly he is the first villian I think of, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

But, moving on from that I would have to say the stories that I personally tend to gravitate towards are the ones without a clear cut villian. I prefer it when our protag is fighting against something bigger like societial injustices or something of that nature. Maybe that's why I love Dystopia so much.

That being said, I love a good villian, they are just so hard to get right!

message 8: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments I like a villain that believes what they are doing is right. Makes them that much scarier.

message 9: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 15 comments I tend to like the series where the fight is against evil, not one particular person, such as Uglies Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld (the series), Blue Noon (Midnighters, #3) by Scott Westerfeld (the series), The Woven Path (Wyrd Museum, Book 1) by Robin Jarvis , Raven's Gate (The Gatekeepers, #1) by Anthony Horowitz , The Dark Is Rising Sequence (#1-5) by Susan Cooper , etc.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) President Snow in Hunger Games.

Mrs. Coulter in the Golden Compass.

message 11: by Emi (new)

Emi I agree with Bluemoon! The villans in The 39 Clues (especially Isabel Kabra) have been some of my favorite.

I also really liked Emperor Orzone from The Immortals Quartet. He was manipulative, two-faced, selfish, and just down right evil in an awesome way.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2 comments Bad villains don't have clear motivations for their actions. As a reader, I want to believe that from their perspective, they are the hero. They shouldn't believe themselves to be evil or be bent on destroying the world for destruction's sake. Lucy Christopher does a good job with this in Stolen, as does Lois Lowry in The Giver. For totalitarian government-y dystopia to work, the evil ruler has to think they're making things easier.

message 13: by Mariel (last edited Sep 05, 2010 06:28PM) (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) Becca wrote: "Personally, my favorite villain in YA to date is in the Skinjacker series starting with Everlost (Skinjacker, #1) by Neal Shusterman. I won't tell you who it is, otherwise it will ruin the series for you, but it's ..."

Oh I agree with this one wholeheartedly. Love it.

The Blue Mirror by Kathe Koja has a terrifying villain.

message 14: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Oooh Mrs. Coulter made me feel sick to my stomach. She's a great villian Heidi.

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason (foreverjuly) | 176 comments Mrs. Coulter was great. I guess Snow was bad but mostly just repulsive.

Gollum from Lord of the Rings. The way the idea of an undying obsession crystallized within that character was masterful and brilliant.

message 16: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (yogamamareads) Nailer's dad in Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi.

message 17: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 1275 comments Heidi I wrote: "President Snow in Hunger Games.

Mrs. Coulter in the Golden Compass."

ooooo I second both of those!

message 18: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I thought Cansrel (sp?) from Fire was really creepy. He was truly a bad guy!

message 19: by Becca (last edited Sep 06, 2010 06:26PM) (new)

Becca | 1608 comments oh, totally agree with you Peep. In fact, I think Leck was a pretty bad (as in good) villain too.

message 20: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Becca, Leck WAS good (bad) too! I still think of his sorrow at one of the scenes (you know, with the kid) and all I could think of was how good he was.

His poor dad :(

message 21: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments No kidding. He kind of freaked my out. Actually, he really freaked me out after the story about his dad. I wanted to go back and read the end of Graceling again with his history in mind.

message 22: by Emi (new)

Emi Same here. *shudders* Leck was just twisted from the beginning. I love inherently evil villains.

message 23: by Lani (new)

Lani (crahfty) | 253 comments Leck was the first person I thought of because he was so twisted from day one.

Beira from Wicked Lovely was a pretty decent villian. That whole "pretending to be nice, but really being an evil witch" act worked for her.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Valentine in the Mortal Instruments because he was evil but on a mission too. He took a "cause" and his ruthlessness and pure evil made him even more dangerous than someone who is just evil but no reason for it. To me anyway.

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen | 55 comments Caine and Drake from the Gone, Hunger, and Lies series by Michael Grant!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Ohhh Caine is a good one Jen. He's so conflicted.

message 27: by Jen (new)

Jen | 55 comments And Drake just gives me the chills...the whole arm thing going on (don't want to wreck it for anyone)!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Jen wrote: "And Drake just gives me the chills...the whole arm thing going on (don't want to wreck it for anyone)!"

Yes. He is just a creep.

message 29: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments I also like the villains in The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman . Several of the characters were an interesting twist on lore, particularly the villains.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I've only read the first book too, but Drake seems to be seriously whacked in the head.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Bluemoon wrote: "I agree with Drake. He's a bit creepy. Caine on the other hand has potential to be good. I think, since I only read the first one, I can't really say anything more."

Caine is the best kind of bad guy - you love to hate him because you know how conflicted he is. Drake is just plain evil.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Characters with more than one layer to them are some of the most interesting ones to read about.

message 33: by Jason (new)

Jason (foreverjuly) | 176 comments Bluemoon wrote: "never really thought Gollum was a villain. He's one of my fav character in LOTR. I just think that he was obsessed, but never really wanted to harm Frodo."

I wouldn't categorize Gollum as a villain either. Might not even classify him as a character either. He's just an idea, an all-consuming desire that blinds him to all else. The more I think about it, the more impressive it is that Tolkein pulled it off.

message 34: by Jason (new)

Jason (foreverjuly) | 176 comments Bluemoon wrote: "I think he is a character. He can't be an idea if he was 'physically' engaging with the main characters."

Well yeah, of course. I guess I was being sort of philosophical about it. No one would accuse Gollum of being an amazingly 3-dimensional character. More than touring Frodo around, his purpose is to demonstrate the appeal of the ring.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wilsman President Snow and the Capitol...can't wait to see it on-screen

message 36: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Jen wrote: "Caine and Drake from the Gone, Hunger, and Lies series by Michael Grant!"

I was reading and thinking this exact same thing!

message 37: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) If Caine is going to be a good guy it's going to be because of Diane.

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellezink) | 168 comments Most of you guys know that I hardly ever talk about my books here, but I had to share that Alice, one of the main characters in the Prophecy of the Sisters Trilogy, won for Best Villain at last night's Teen Read Awards - against Lord Voldemort!
*gasp*

I honestly didn't think she stood a chance. I mean, Voldemort? Why not just pit her against SATAN? Lol! But she won! And I wanted to share because I think Best Villain is a pretty awesome title.
<3

MZ

message 39: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Congratulations! That's fantastic! I love reading a really good bad villain. Makes me shiver in a good way.

message 40: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellezink) | 168 comments Becca wrote: "Congratulations! That's fantastic! I love reading a really good bad villain. Makes me shiver in a good way."

Thanks, Becca! I was surprised she won because she's such a complex character. She does so many horrible, horrible things, but I get more email about her than anyone else in the books, and they usually say things like, "Alice is so bad, but she seems so LONELY." And I'm like, "She is. Because she's BAD."
O_o

MZ

message 41: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Congratulations Michelle, sorry I missed it the first time around!

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellezink) | 168 comments Thanks, Peep! And hey, this place is a hotbed of activity with you at its center.

I don't blame you!
<3

MZ

message 43: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (bnleake) | 15 comments I'm not entirely sure this is YA, but Jennifer Fallion's Lion of Senet had a really great villain.

message 44: by Samita (new)

Samita President Snow FTW hehe, I was totally scared of him :)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG! It is my dream post. I am so villain obsessed! I love me some baddies.

Daughter of the Flames

I read this one earlier this year and fell in love with it. I think one of the things I loved the most about it was the baddie because he is not this over-the-top fluffed up villain - he really believes he is doing the right thing, and the best part, he is hungry for salvation. Good twists.

Melissa (YA Book Shelf) (yabookshelf) I have two suggestions:

1. Mayor / President Prentiss from the Chaos Walking Series by Patrick Ness. He's pure evil (gets ppl to trust him with his lies and tries to use mind control and other forms of manipulation as well) and completely crazy to boot.

2. Ty from Lucy Christopher's novel Stolen. He's sooo creepy that at times the main character and even the reader are disgusted by him, but at the same time, he actually is able to get the MC and reader to like him and sympathize with him.

message 47: by ReeCee (new)

ReeCee | 17 comments Saint Dane of the Pendragon series (D.J. Machale)

message 48: by Gareth (last edited Oct 07, 2010 04:13PM) (new)

Gareth Mottram (garethmottram) | 9 comments What about the preacher (Aaron) in the Knife of Never Letting Go? He's so menacing, with a whole town of crazies under his manic sway and he just keeps on coming after our heroes regardless of serious damage being done to him. He's got to be a contender hasn't he? The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

message 49: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellezink) | 168 comments Gareth wrote: "What about the preacher (Aaron) in the Knife of Never Letting Go? He's so menacing, with a whole town of crazies under his manic sway and he just keeps on coming after our heroes regardless of ser..."

My daughter LOVES that book! We read it in the Teen Book Club I run through Borders...

MZ

Melissa (YA Book Shelf) (yabookshelf) Michelle wrote: "Gareth wrote: "What about the preacher (Aaron) in the Knife of Never Letting Go? He's so menacing, with a whole town of crazies under his manic sway and he just keeps on coming after our heroes re..."

I love that book too, but it's really the Mayor / President Prentiss who is the major villain in the series.

« previous 1