Page Turners discussion

general > Page Turners

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peg (new)

Peg | 44 comments I just finished 2 page turners. One was The Lotus Eaters
The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli

A great story about Vietnam that might be less intimidating than Matterhorn. It starts with the American involvement and ends basically at the fall of Saigon. A definite page turner and very atmospheric.

The other was a delightfully entertaining story by Ivan Doig called Work Song. Work Song by Ivan Doig Set in early 1900's Butte, Montana about a mining company vs the miners. Great colorful characters that I fell in love with and a lot of book discussions as well. Nice change of pace.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 19 comments Matterhorn was a tremendous book but it is definitely an emotionally draining read.

I didn't go to Vietnam but worked in an Army Hospital in 71-73 and the guys in the hospital or working there who were in Vietnam were just like a lot of the characters in Matterhorn.

message 3: by John (new)

John | 30 comments Thanks for recommending this one, folks. Finding out about books like this is a good reason for joining a group. I couldn't put it down once I started reading it.

message 4: by John (new)

John | 30 comments The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
I think someone from this group recommended this book to me. I'm glad they did. It's an awesome read. It's listed as a YA or young adult category in the library, but it's an adult book of 500+ pages. Get to page 100 and you can hardly put it down.

message 5: by John (new)

John | 30 comments John wrote: "The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
I think someone from this group recommended this book to me. I'm glad they did. It's an awesome read. It's listed as a YA or young adult category in the library,..."

The Book Thief

message 6: by Peg (new)

Peg | 44 comments One of my all time favorites. I also loved another of his stories, John, called The Messenger. I wait anxiously for another story from him.

message 7: by Debra (new)

Debra (debrahayes) | 11 comments Just finished The Discovery of Witches and loved it! Kept me turning the pages til the end, which I didn't want to come...am hoping there is another book coming soon as I didn't want to leave these characters! Science, genetics, mystery, romance...everything I love in a book!

message 8: by John (new)

John | 30 comments If you haven't read the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, add it to your list. I read a lot, and it's been a long time since I read books where I forgot to eat, drink, or sleep until I was finished. Awesome work!

message 9: by Debie (new)

Debie (dfehling) | 6 comments Deb-oh wrote: "Just finished The Discovery of Witches and loved it! Kept me turning the pages til the end, which I didn't want to come...am hoping there is another book coming soon as I didn't want to leave thes..."

I have this on my to-be-read list. Might have to bump it up to "next"!

message 10: by Debie (new)

Debie (dfehling) | 6 comments John wrote: "If you haven't read the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, add it to your list. I read a lot, and it's been a long time since I read books where I forgot to eat, drink, or sleep until I was ..."

I read these all in one weekend! I was like you, didn't get a single other thing done the whole time!

message 11: by John (new)

John | 30 comments Deb-oh wrote: "Just finished The Discovery of Witches and loved it! Kept me turning the pages til the end, which I didn't want to come...am hoping there is another book coming soon as I didn't want to leave thes..."

Who was the author? Thanks.

message 12: by John (new)

John | 30 comments Here's a new one to add to the list. "Before I Go To Sleep" by S.J. Watson. It's about a woman who can only remember the current day. Every morning when she wakes up she has to remember who she is, and what happened to her life. I could not put this one down.

message 13: by John (new)

John | 30 comments I stayed up last last night to finish "Heading out to Wonderful," by Robert Goolrick. An amazing story, well written. The style reminds me a little of "Snow Falling on Cedars" and "What is left the daughter.

message 14: by Madison (new)

Madison (teddybear99) I loved the book Divergent and can't wait for the sequel!! I also loved loved loved The Wolves of Mercy Falls and Beauty.

message 15: by Brit (new)

Brit Blaise (britblaise) | 1 comments I just finished Perfection Unleashed by Jade Kerrion and posted a review:

http://www.britblaise.com/29/review-o...

Loved it!