Aram Book Discussion discussion

2010 Discussions > The Book Thief

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue | 12 comments Mod
Books and discussion guides are in. This book was originally published in Australia and is marketed as a book for young adults, age 12+. Katrina commented, "I found the book slow going even as time passed quickly. I couldn't really get into the characters..."
I didn't think this book was slow the first time around. This time I'm listening to the audiobook and still find it interesting -- and I do like Death's commentary. What do you think?

message 2: by Marv (new)

Marv | 11 comments I am about 3/4 through the book. It is a fast read for 550 pages. This is helped by large indents and pages of drawings. Thanks for letting me know that this was marketed as a childrens book. I now know why I found it so simplistic in style. I am struggling to get into the minds of the characters and can't do it. What is Liesel thinking? Does she apprehend any of the terror associated with Max's plight? If so, how is she processing this? I probably wouldn't read anything else by this author.
Marv

message 3: by Dave (new)

Dave | 6 comments Sorry Katrina and Marv, but this time I don't agree. I find the book quite interesting and even relevant in today's world. The characters are realistic and three dimensional. Consider Liesel's age and the fact that most German's were unaware of the horror they were living in and blindly cooperating with.
That time was so terrible there, it is hard for us to imagine anyone in this country advocating for book burning, or that hate groups could have such a large political impact!!!
Looking forward to a great discussion on this book.