EDUC 567 Children's Lit discussion

Hoot > Hoot Reflection

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ritsa (new)

Ritsa Mallous | 35 comments Mod
:)

message 2: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 11 comments Rereading the novel Hoot was an interesting experience for me. I remember loving the book back when I read it in elementary school, but this time was not so impressed. The plot moved at a frustratingly slow pace, and I really didn’t have a desire to pick the book up again once I put it down. I do appreciate the environmentally friendly theme and the message that kids can make a difference in the world, and these were the two redeeming factors for the book (besides the really cool cover). I feel like these are themes that are beginning to surface in middle school, so I feel like sixth to seventh graders would be an ideal audience. It would also be a useful book to tie in with a lesson on some sort of activism or environmental science. The thing that I ended up being most interested in about the book was how the middle school audience liked it. Jordan said that her brother loved the book in middle school, and since I remember loving it then too, I am curious to see whether a lot of middle schoolers like it and why.

message 3: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 9 comments I was pretty surprised to see that some of many people didn't like the book, Hoot. I will admit that yes, it was slow paced, but I didn't notice this while reading it. I took it as a welcome break from my busy schedule to float along (a big slowly albeit) through the world of a young boy just wanting to stand up for what's right. My one qualm with the book would have to be its unrealistic representation of the adults in the book. They were either antagonistic, completely oblivious, or weirdly okay with the fact that their 11-year-old boy was running around with a runaway child (who had abusive parents and was living in the woods). I just know that my parents would either have told me to not get myself involved at all or would have helped me be involved a safer, more regulated way. While I understand that it was important to show a young man succeeding by himself, the amount of autonomy his parents gave him was a little unrealistic.

message 4: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Koonce | 3 comments I picked Hoot to read for this section of books simply because I had read the other two already and liked them, so I figured I would read one I hadn't before. Sadly I did not enjoy reading Hoot as much as I thought I would. I thought the plot was very slow and I had trouble relating to it, so it wasn't super interesting to me. I could see how younger middle school kids could maybe like it if they can relate to the social themes in the book, like bullying. I thought it was interesting that my brother highly recommended it, and I ended up not liking it. So I called him up and asked him about it. He is 15 and in high school now, but read the book with his class in 6th grade. He said he loved it and the rest of his class loved it, in 6th grade simply because they liked the interactions between characters and the themes they so clearly related to in middle school. However, he did tell me that if he had to read it again he wouldn't, because he knows it would be boring to him now that he is no longer in middle school. It seems across the board that this book is only really well liked by younger middle schoolers.

message 5: by Beimnet (new)

Beimnet I thought the book was okay reading it this time around, but I'm pretty sure that I enjoyed it when I read it in middle school. I thought the book was sort of slow, not because the plot was uninteresting, but it kept getting interrupted by Officer Delinko's story. I think I would have liked it more if they got rid of the adult subplot, and talked more about Dana or Beatrice's family life. My problem with it this time is that many of the different tangents introduced weren't resolved in the end. The only two stories that had satisfying endings were the stories about the owls, and Roy finally enjoying Florida. At the end of the book though, I still wanted to know what happened to Beatrice and Mullet Fingers , and if their family was going to be okay. I might consider using this book as an English teacher with the science teacher, if I wanted to do a unit on activism in the environment. Otherwise, I might keep the book in my classroom library, but I don't see myself assigning it in the future.

message 6: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 11 comments I can't say that I enjoyed reading this book. Unlike The Giver and other exciting teen reads, I wouldn't consider Hoot to be a page-turner. I had to force myself to read some of the book each night and was glad when it was over. I can't see myself assigning this book as a Language Arts teacher because, in my opinion, there are so many other (better) choices! I can name numerous teen reads that have exciting plots and keep the reader absorbed, and I'd be sure to assign one of those reads instead of Hoot. As everyone else said, the book was slow and boring. I also feel that this book would be too simply written for an avid reader, but too slow-paced for someone who's trying to get into reading. So who would I assign it to?

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lecase) | 6 comments I did not love this book. The story itself was sweet, because we all love animals, but the kid having run away from home was not really a great idea to plant in middle schoolers' heads! Also, the book moved so slowly, which made it hard for me, an avid reader, to stay interested in the book. I liked the aspect of Roy being the new kid, a lot, and missing home, because I felt like that would be applicable to some kids. Feeling out of place is something that all kids experience at some point, so I identified with that and would maybe even give this to a student who was new to my school or was experiencing some social discomfort. Overall though, I forged through this book simply because I had to.