Hard SF discussion

Member Chat > Early 20th Century SF?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 108 comments I'm halfway thru The Purple Cloud by MP Shiel a book written in 1901, and was wondering, apart from the obvious Wells and Verne, what other noteworthy SF novels there are from the early years of the 20th Century?

message 2: by David (new)

David (davidbrandt) | 105 comments Many of the following are available free from Project Gutenberg & Librivox.

George Griffith.

Roy Rockwood. Perhaps more of a YA appeal.

Garrett Serviss.

William Shuler Harris' "Life In A 1000 Worlds" is a more of a religious / moral evaluation of cultures on other worlds.

Edwin Arnold's "Gulliver of Mars".

Jack London's dystopia "The Iron Heel" and post-apocalyptic "Scarlet Plague".

Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "Herland" (and perhaps "Forerunner").

Arthur Conan Doyle's Professor Challenger stories including The Lost World.

Upton Sinclair's dystopia "It Can't Happen Here".

Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Valerie Bryusov.

Murray Leinster began publishing in the 1910's.

David Lindsay's Voyage to Arcturus turns out to be more mystical than SF.

Karel Capek's R.U.R. is from 1920.

Thea von Harbou's Metropolis.

John W. Campbell, his Black Star Rising is from 1930.

message 3: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 108 comments Thanks David-quite a list there and a few old friends. I have some conan doyle-Lost World, Poison Belt and a bit of Campbell including The Black Star Passes. Anything really early, 1900 ish?

message 4: by David (new)

David (davidbrandt) | 105 comments I have a page on pre-20th century SF & proto-SF writers:
http://www.hardsf.org/HSFWEa01.htm

The list I gave you previously was compiled by looking at a list sorted by publication date (I read the list beginning at 1900). So, the first name was George Griffith, because he had a publication in 1900 plus others later (I don't think the 1900 item is a novel.) Campbell was the last on the list, because the first item of his on the list was 1930.

This wasn't based on a complete list of these authors works, just a listing of some works. To get a more thorough view of these authors' works, look them up at isfdb.org.

message 5: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 108 comments Thanks David-some good stuff there! One book on mars that is proclaimed as the follow up to Wells's War of the World-that sounds good to me. Trouble is I've been editing so many books on my reader I've forgotten which one it was!

message 6: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 108 comments Interesting how there is a dearth of SF from 1900 to 1904!
I now have most of the books listed above (reading one of them now)
Couldnt find Upton Sinclair's "It Can't Happen Here" or anything by Valerie Bryusov (at least not on Fanatstic Fiction).
And tho I found a copy of Karel Capek's R.U.R. its in Czech! Translators anyone ;)
I also want to find Hugo Gernsback's Ralph +241 story

message 7: by David (new)

David (davidbrandt) | 105 comments Sorry, "It Can't Happen Here" is by SINCLAIR LEWIS (not Upton Sinclair - my mistake) and is available at Project Gutenberg of Australia
http://gutenberg.net.au/sfproject.html
they also have Karel Capek's "War With The Newts" which I enjoyed.

Capek's R.U.R. (Rossums Universal Robots) is actually a play. I know I found the script in English on the internet, but I don't recall where.

For finding more early SF: at isfdb.org in addition to being able to search by author or title you can search by year. Specify you want to search for a year, type in a year and go. It will give a list of publications (not just novels). isfdb.org is "internet SPECULATIVE FICTION database" so you'll have to figure out which are "science fiction".

David

message 8: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 108 comments Ah I found and downloaded RUR from an australian site. And also found this timeline site:

magicdragon.com/UltimateSF/timeline19...

message 10: by Al "Tank" (last edited Sep 12, 2010 09:27AM) (new)

Al "Tank" (alkalar) | 47 comments Larry wrote: "Interesting how there is a dearth of SF from 1900 to 1904!
I now have most of the books listed above (reading one of them now)
Couldnt find Upton Sinclair's "It Can't Happen Here" or anything by Va..."

I actually appeared in RUR in the 60's. The lead was played by a guy who smoked heavily and the hardest line he had was the "Robots of the world, unite . . .". It was a high-volume, rabble-rousing line and he had to get through it without coughing his lungs out. But he made it every night -- what a trouper!

message 11: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 108 comments Al that is so cool!

message 12: by Rasheed (last edited Oct 02, 2010 02:43PM) (new)

Rasheed (rasheed12824) Classic Sci Fi Stories by Arthur Conan Doyle
Classic Sci Fi Stories
contains stories by Frank R. Stockton, Jack London, Edward Page Mitchell, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Arthur Conan Doyle and Robert Duncan Milne first published between 1837 & 1929.

I'm sure all of them are PD so they should be available from Gutenberg, Feedbooks, Librivox, etc. Also check out:
Before the Golden Age A Science Fiction Anthology of the 1930's by Isaac Asimov
Before the Golden Age: A Science Fiction Anthology of the 1930's
edited by Asimov (800-1000 pages). Also published in 4 volumes.

The list Best Classic SF Novels (1930-1950) also contains around 50 great books.