Doctor Who: The Library of Carsus discussion

The TARDIS'S ARCHIVE > Christopher Eccleston Dr. Who Books

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 64 comments There were only six BBC books featuring the Ninth Doctor, Christopher Ecclestion.

They are:
The Clockwise Man--Justin Richards
The Monsters Inside--Stephen Cole
Winner Takes All--Jacqueline Rayner
The Deviant Strain--Justin Richards
Only Human--Gareth Roberts
The Stealers of Dreams--Steve Lyons

I've had my used bookstore searching for them, and I just came home with all six of them!!! I am really happy to get these--they are so hare to find.

Christina Stind | 6 comments I'm almost done with Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man and although I like it, I don't get the Christopher Eccleston from that book - or at least only in glimpses. It feels like the Doctor could be any of the Doctors. Rose doesn't feel like Rose either ...

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark C | 43 comments I've recently read The Clockwise Man too and I agree with regards to the characterisations of the Doctor and Rose. Considering what little material those first writers had to work with they didn't do a bad job though. And The Monsters Inside does a much better job of getting their characters.

message 4: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 64 comments Mark, I think what could have happened was that they wanted to get the books rolling and the series had just started. No one had a good feel for Eccleston's Doctor yet, so they wrote a general Doctor Who story.

Actually, the books are not as good as the BBC books series--there is less content to them.

I keep wishing that BBC books would resume the Past Doctor Adventures, I am sure that some writers could write a few more stories feating Eccleston's Doctor.

Also, of course, like any series, not all books are equal. Some wrtiers just do a better job than others. And which writers may vary with each person.

Still glad to get them--it is hard to find Dr. Who around here. Maybe all the readers on the East and West Coast are keeping them all.

message 5: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 17 comments I agree; I'd like to see the Past Doctor Adventures resume myself. More developed Ninth Doctor stories would be nice (maybe something pre-Rose), but I especially want more Second and Fourth Doctor stories.

message 6: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 64 comments Yes. I hope somebody from BBC Books is reading this!

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark C | 43 comments Mary, I think you're probably right about how they wrote those early Eccleston books. From memory, I believe the writers only had access to some of the early scripts in order to get a feel for the Doctor and Rose. Possibly one of them might have had access to the set when they filmed those first episodes but I'm not sure. Either way it would explain why those stories are quite generic.

Also, while I agree that there is less 'depth' to them than the PDAs, EDAs or the NAs I actually don't mind that too much. Currently I'm alternating between reading the New Adventure novels and New Series books. So, after reading something as relatively complex as 'Time's Crucible' having something that's a little more easy going like 'The Monsters Inside' is quite nice!

I do think the time is right for the PDAs to make a comeback. The TV audience is now a lot more aware of Doctor Who's past than it was 5 years ago and I'm sure there's many new fans who'd like to read more of the past Doctors.

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela | 6 comments Justin Richards was asked last year about past doctor books, and he said it wasn't bbc policy. It was all about relaunching with a new Doctor. The same reason why Blackpool Dr Who exhibtion was closed down, even though it was popular.

Christina Stind | 6 comments My problem is that I don't know any of the doctors before 9 so it's difficult to choose books about earlier doctors...
I hope the books about the new doctors will be aimed at a larger audience and not just the young adults.

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela | 6 comments I think with the better books, knowledge isn't necessary, they are just good stories.

message 11: by Leela4 (last edited Jan 27, 2011 01:37PM) (new)

Leela4 | 98 comments > Still glad to get them--it is hard to find Dr. Who around here. Maybe all the readers on the East and West Coast are keeping them all.

Coming into this conversation late...

I'm active in book trading. There have been no Virgin or BBC Books DW books to be had for ages. And precious few novelizations.

My guess is they've been scooped up by new fans who want everything Doctor Who that they can get their hands on. Some will read them, some won't. I expect the supply will be quite low for several years yet, until they start looking at their shelves and saying "Maybe I could let some of these go." And the supply is limited--these books are not reprinted.

message 12: by Leela4 (last edited Jan 27, 2011 01:59PM) (new)

Leela4 | 98 comments Christina Stind wrote: "My problem is that I don't know any of the doctors before 9 so it's difficult to choose books about earlier doctors...

The real question is what do you want?

- If you want something close to the actual Doctor Who depicted on TV, or you want to get to know the Doctor, it's pretty much the novelizations for you. You can probably count on one hand the post-series novels that are "proper Doctor Who". In fact, at the time the novels were being written there was a backlash against the TV show, the so-called "rad vs trad" issue.

- The post-series novels strongly emphasize the companions and de-emphasize the Doctor. If that's what you want, pick a companion who sounds your type and jump in. Some of the books are decent sci-fi or historicals and some are even experimental literature, but most are top-drawer fanfic. --Written by people who can spell (usually) and balance a story, but all in all fanfic.

I hope the books about the new doctors will be aimed at a larger audience and not just the young adults."

Unlikely. The New Adventures/Missing Adventures were written by twentysomethings, the Eighth Doctor Adventures/Past Doctor Adventures were written by the same crowd five years older. The current publisher (of the New Series Adventures) is trying to inject new blood.

It would be *nice* if there was some grown up Doctor Who, but you can't even find it in the fanfic world. A friend asked me back in 2007 or so: "Aren't there any Doctor Who books for grown ups?" I expect you can ask the same thing of DragonLance or Star Trek.

Honestly? I think the problem is anyone good enough to write and coordinate the writing of actual Doctor Who literature... is too good. They do other things. It would take someone with the will and energy of John Nathan-Turner to manage it. Then consider the seesawing--but always vociferous--opinions of how well *that* worked.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 03, 2011 10:51PM) (new)

Leela4 wrote: "And the supply is limited--these books are not reprinted."

Reprints are finally on the way. In the UK at least, via a print on demand service, but there you go, it's a start to getting the supply back up: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Fa...

Lance Parkin's books are the first to get the reprint treatment, and then later in the year we'll see some Kate Orman solo books and the ones she co-wrote with Jon Blum (and Ben Aaronovitch in the case of So Vile a Sin).

EDIT: Whoops, I just saw the actual thread here for the reprints. Nevermind!