The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

Miscellaneous Archives > "The Brontes" by Juliet Barker

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) | 1483 comments Mod
I came home last night to a hefty package from oldest daughter, Amber. Amber is my Ph.D. (English), and teaches at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln, Nebraska. Anyhow, she was browsing one of her favorite used book stores in Lincoln the other day, and found me a virtually pristine hard-bound copy of Juliet Barker's massive biography of the Brontes. This is a book that I have lusted after for a number of years, and I can hardly contain my enthusiasm to begin reading it immediately. She bought it for $15! I am so excited!

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments I read Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre years ago, but I have other Brontes waiting to be read. I will look forward to the interesting snippets that I'm sure you'll start sharing soon, Chris.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

What a great daughter!!! I read a biography of Branwell years ago and was fascinated with the whole idea of the Gondol and Angria stories the Brontës created as kids. Much more organized and creative than I ever was, that's for sure. They also played much more cooperatively with their siblings! :P

message 4: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Yes, spill the beans Chris!

I read 'The Taste of Sorrow' by Jude Morgan recently, which is a novel based on the Bronte family. It is well researched and gives a lot of insights in their tragic lives, not least the heartache caused by Branwell's drink and drug addiction and the tuberculosis which ravaged the family. I remember seeing a dress at the Museum in Haworth which had been worn by the adult Charlotte Bronte and it was a size which would only fit a 12 year old today. It brought home to me the deprived lives which they all lived until they found fame through their astounding writing. The Museum is in the equally astounding Yorkshire countryside, so well evoked by Emily in Wuthering Heights.

http://www.bronte.org.uk/index.php?op...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bradford/content...

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) I loved Elizabeth Gaskell's biography of Charlotte Bronte and am green with envy of your present.

Denise, a ScribbleManiac (scribblemaniac) I hope you enjoy Juliet Barker's The Brontës as much as I did! It is a fascinating book. I read it at the beginning of the year, and by the time I was done I had planned a journey to Haworth. I went in June and spent two weeks visiting every Brontë related site I could get to. What a delight! (I have some fun photos from the trip on my blog at www.ScribbleManiac.com

By the time I was done reading Barker's book:
* my opinion of Charlotte plummeted
* I now view the youngest sister, Anne, as a total sweetheart
* I gained an unexpected affection for their only brother, Branwell, who is usually depicted as a drunken looser
* and I felt only more interested, amused, and delighted by Emily

I think Barker is coming out with an updated edition of The Brontës in November.... can't wait!

Denise
www.ScribbleManiac.com

Denise, a ScribbleManiac wrote: "I hope you enjoy Juliet Barker's The Brontës as much as I did! It is a fascinating book. I read it at the beginning of the year, and by the time I was done I had planned a journey to Haworth. I wen..."

Awesome comments, Denise! Yes, this is very, very high on my TBR list! I am quite excited to read it. I also very much love Anne's writing, especially The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, which I thought was an incredibly powerful novel. Thanks for the visit! Cheers! Chris

Denise, a ScribbleManiac (scribblemaniac) Hi Chris,
I enjoyed The Tenant as well. In contrast to the other Brontës, Anne was so quiet and demure... but she wrote, as you said, so powerfully. Just wait until you read what Juliet Barker writes about Anne's last days in Scarborough... I'll be interested to hear what you think about Charlotte after all of that!

Happy Reading,
Denise

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments Denise, a ScribbleManiac wrote: "I hope you enjoy Juliet Barker's The Brontës as much as I did! It is a fascinating book. I read it at the beginning of the year, and by the time I was done I had planned a journey to Haworth. I wen..."

Thankyou for the journey,Denise, those are wonderful pictures! Every Bronte fan...I urge you to check out her blog!

Jan wrote: "Denise, a ScribbleManiac wrote: "I hope you enjoy Juliet Barker's The Brontës as much as I did! It is a fascinating book. I read it at the beginning of the year, and by the time I was done I had pl..."

I echo Jan's comment! I spent a wonderful bit of time last night slowly savoring each of her photographs as well as the great travelogue accompanying them!

Denise, a ScribbleManiac (scribblemaniac) Thanks so much, Jan and Chris! I'm very happy to hear you are enjoying my blog. It's been such a wonderful way to relive the trip.