Graywolf Press discussion

Weekend Reads > Weekend Reads 9/3/10

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) | 244 comments Mod
Another Friday is upon us!

I'll be taking Lorrie Moore's A Gate at the Stairs up north with me, with a side serving of Easy for You , the debut story collection by Shannan Rouss.

What about you? Anyone have any new recs?

message 2: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 22 comments I'm reading Half of a Yellow Sun this weekend. Thanks for recommending Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Marisa! I really enjoyed Purple Hibiscus: A Novel.

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) First, let me start by saying I think everyone should run out and buy a copy of Room once it hits the shelves Sept 13th. Very cleverly written!

I am moving on to

A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True - this is a review copy from the publisher, and something I am pretty sure I would not have picked up for myself. I'm about three chapters in and liking it very much so far.

message 4: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) | 244 comments Mod
Hillary, I'm so glad you're enjoying Chimamanda Adichie's work! I haven't read her two novels yet, just her story collection The Thing Around Your Neck. I've heard Half of a Yellow Sun is her best work, though, so I think you're in for a good weekend read!

Lori, one of my coworkers is reading Room: A Novel. It seems eerie and creepy, but also incredibly powerful. It really intrigues me so I'll definitely have to check it out.

I have to update my weekend reads. I'm still planning to spend some time with the two mentioned above, but I just saw an amazing movie trailer for Never Let Me Go and then remembered I already have the book! So I got sucked into the first 60 pages or so of that. I'm definitely hooked.

message 5: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 22 comments Hmm, I loved The Remains of the Day but couldn't get into The Unconsoled, which has left me a little reluctant to try Kazuo Ishiguro again. Let me know what you think of Never Let Me Go!

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy (blacksheepdances) | 34 comments Hi Lori!

I finished Room this last week. Pretty amazing, eh? Same for I Just Lately Started Buying Wings. Incredible voice.
So this weekend I'm finishing up Come Sunday and Russian Winter.

Anybody have fun plans?

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Amy, yeah, I loved little Jack's voice and vocabulary. Sucks you right in.

Marisa, you have no idea what you are missing!! And it's such a quick read.

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 26 comments I'm just finishing up World Takes by Timmy Waldron, and will probably move on to Midnight Picnic by Nick Antosca next. Bit of a Word Riot weekend, I guess!

message 9: by Casey (new)

Casey (case_face) | 2 comments Mod
Never Let Me Go was deceptively simple. That book stuck with me, in a haunting way, for a long while after I read it. It seemed to me to about the nature of human relationships... and I think Ishiguro nailed it. (Plus, science fiction [or any other genre] presented under the auspices of "high" literature is [I think] the future of contemporary literature.)

And I'm really excited for the movie. I'm nurturing a Carey Mulligan crush.

As for me, I just finished China Miéville's Perdido Street Station and now I'm glutting myself on the Scott Pilgrim series (books 2-5).

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 26 comments Carey Mulligan makes it easy to nurture a crush, I think. ;)

message 11: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1 comments I thoroughly recommend Ishiguro's "When We Were Orphans." He presents another repressed, fascinating character--this time in the guise of a detective. And he plays with time, as only he can.

As far as weekend reading (though it will stretch far beyond the weekend) goes, I'm immersing myself in Jung's "The Red Book" and have my dream diary on the ready.

message 12: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 22 comments Oh, I'm envious of your The Red Book. I've only seen a few of Jung's drawings in biographies. A friend of my has a copy of the Red Book, but he's working himself up into the right mindset to open it, so he's not loaning yet...